JKOwners Forum banner

Jeep Newbie ***Please help

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  coyb 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 2014 Rubicon. Going to do a 4-4.5" lift on 37s. I have been looking at Teraflex and BDS. What do you guys think is better and why? Looking for the best ride.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Best ride on the road....Metalcloak.

I have used BDS, Rough Country and Rock Krawler. My current RK 3.5 with Fox IFP 2.0 shocks is hands down the best out of that group. The on road ride is good, the offroad ride is very good and the durability is superior. Super heavy duty parts from RK. And...I wouldn't use any other tie rod either, their Pro Aluminum TR is amazing.

I drove a friends 4dr with the full Metalcloak suspension and it's "on the road" driving characteristics were absolutely phenomenal, I was blown away. Don't have personal experience with it offroad.

#7 ·
Why do you want to go that tall with the lift? If you go that high you will want to get mid length arms and adjustable if you do not go to long arms.

If you are going to offroad the new jeeps have cut pinch seams so you can fit that tire on a shorter lift. Also just a head up you will want to beef up your axles some with going to 37s.

On lift advice. I am running a TeraFlex 3" which is great and I only changed 6 of my 8 control arms. Rides really smooth on road and works as well offroad as anyone I have been with. I like it so much that I am going to install their long arms with my 1 ton conversion over the summer.

#9 ·
On a true 4" -4.5" lift, it will dwarf 37's. You will also need a whole host of products to round out the lift, like driveshafts and adjustable arms. If you have done the research and know the costs and what you need, then great, do it. However, if you haven't, be ready to spend some money to do it right.

-Dan

#10 ·
He is right. If you are going for this look and looking for a nice on road ride you will need to replace things.

1.coils
2.shocks
3.bump stops
4.track bars
5.drive shafts
6.all 8 control arms
7. Upgrade steering

Not in that specific order and I'm sure people can add on to that. Also remember you will need some upgrades to your axles. Ask specific questions and know what parts are and you will be okay but it is not cheap if you do it correctly but it is cheaper in the long run to do it right the first time.

#15 ·
We run the RK 3.5" triple threat with PSC fenders and 37's on our shop rig. Most that see it live think it has a 6" lift View attachment 128737
What do you guys think? Need 3.5" for 37s or do you think you could go to a 2.5" lift?
would you have to take away some of your suspensions up-travel by adding more bumpstop? or any other issues. I mean, how much does 1" of suspension ride height difference translate to in fully compressed coils? An inch? Not to hijack this. Just general info for newbies such as myself.

#16 ·
thank you guys for all the info. this forum seems to have a group of guys that like to help. like I said I have never built a jeep before, only trucks (lifted and bagged). the last truck I built I did for my wife landed on the cover of minitruckin magazine after we took it to sema. however on jeeps I know very little but I want to learn. I am jumping in head first. we are building two rubicons. crazy I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.