Rough Country gas tank skid for JKU - thumbs up - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ
Rough Country gas tank skid for JKU - thumbs up

As I'm sure most of you who run JKU's in the rocks, have seen your stock gas tank skid go from flat to something that looks like a herd of elephants walked on it. The stock skid is paper-thin and while the likelihood that I would have a tank leak/failure is small, I really wanted something more stout to drag across the rocks. I started to research the forums and came upon the Rough Country skid: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jk-...plate-795.html

There were a few nice features:
1) no removal of your stock skid (and gas tank)
2) the price was nearly 1/2 of others I've seen out there that use 3/16" plate
3) it came pre-painted (my River Raider Off Road oil/transmission skid came bare metal at nearly 2x the price of the Rough Country)

I got 1/2 way through the install, and found that I was missing 2 brackets and one other piece of hardware.... UGH! I got on the phone and even though it was the end of the day, they scrambled to get the parts out before the last UPS pickup of the day. They shipped them overnight air (I didn't even have to ask) They were simply awesome to deal with and it was clear they wanted to remedy the problem right away.
The parts arrived the next morning, and not only did they send the brackets that were missing, but ALL 5 brackets just to make sure. I was impressed.

The rest of the install went slick. Ready to scrape them up!

Here are a couple before and after pics:
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Rock God

Rough country has really stepped up their game recently. Great people to deal with.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I've had a couple of folks go with the two door skid and call back with gleaming reviews. Awesome pricing too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

Thats awesome. My skids look a lot like yours, and I was having doubts spending as much as some of the companies were asking, but that skid is really well priced. Its hard to spend a fortune on something you are just going to drag over rocks lol. Thanks for posting up, you definitely sparked my interest in those.

More Cowbell
post #5 of 5 Old 03-27-2014, 06:28 PM
JKO Addict!

I agree, RC has really came a long way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode