Teraflex Adjustable track bar - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Teraflex Adjustable track bar

My specs to start. '13 JKUR with Mopar Stage 3 3"lift, 315 Dick Cepek Fun Country, and Artec front axle truss and armor kit with track bar mount (which could be my problem?). With my stock bar it took about 3 months and my Jeep started to develop the dreaded wobble when I hit bumps. Noticed a click while sitting stationary and turning wheel back and forth. Upon inspection the track bar rubber was getting squishing back and forth so we made shims for each side so it sandwiched both sides together and it made it better but not perfect. So end of January I pulled the trigger on Teraflex's heavy duty adjustable track bar. After installation, I had never driven a vehicle that felt so solid going down the road. I would hit bumps in the road and there would be absolutely no feedback at the steering wheel. After a month I started to notice a slight shimmy when I would hit bumps and has progressively gotten worse. Checked it out this weekend and I was getting the "click" while sitting still turning the wheel back and forth and same thing... sleeve was moving back and forth in the rubber? For reference the sleeve sticks out past the rubber so once again I drilled out some washers that fit over the sleeve to try and sandwich it inside the mount to contain the rubber so it can't squish out. Just like before it help but I still get a wobble when I go over bumps in the road and in SE Michigan this time of year there a lot of them. Could I have gotten a bad rod end? Just doesn't make sense but seems odd that it would happen at same place twice? I just want to get it back like it was with the new HD bar, Never drove a vehicle that drove that nice, even my wife noticed how nice it drove and commented on it. Sent Teraflex and email and Doug responded right away and is going to send me a new bushing so all good there. Anyone have a clue what could be happening? No wheeling with it, just driving on paved roads going to work.
Thanks, Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Well, you know you've found the issue. I've run Teraflex track bars front & rear for five years & 40k miles with not a single issue. If you're using the stock 14mm fully threaded bolts to attach the track bar to the factory brackets I'd be more inclined to think you have a bolt rather than bushing issue going on. Might try getting some 9/16" grade 8 shouldered bolts with matching keps nuts & hardened washers and subbing them for the stock hardware. Be sure they're torqued with the suspension fully settled, that is, wheels on the ground.

Teraflex uses the same type of clevite bushing as the factory does. If installed properly they aren't prone to early failure. However, if they are put in a constant bind, as can happen if they're torqued with the wheels off the ground, they will fail prematurely.

Another thought, IIRC the Mopar 3" kit is made by Teraflex and doesn't have a steering / track bar correction. When I ran TF's 3" springs on my '09 they measured closer to 4". At that much lift mine had a noticeable kick back ("bump steer") through the steering. I installed a Synergy steering & track bar correction kit (using the Teraflex track bar) which eliminated it entirely. You might look into something like that.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 AM
JKO Addict!

BTW, if you post a picture of your front setup we can maybe see what you're dealing with.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

http://youtu.be/ZunxI8kc6E4

Here is a video so you can see it. You can feel a "click" at the steering wheel and if you lay your hand on the bar every time it moves back and forth
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Wow yes def some movement there. More then with my TF setup. How much lift do you have? Agree Maybe raising the track bar and flipping the drag link will take some of the fight out the steering?
Can you get a vid like this ?
http://youtu.be/0RRjZAP8UkI

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nice setup! I will probably have to make some new parts. Don't want to but I am not going to tolerate a messed up steering system. Never bothered me till I put that Teraflex track bar on and how nice it drove, now that's what I expect.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

The movement seems excessive to me, but I've never done a comparable test on mine. My hunch is that you need some kind of drag link flip and corresponding track bar mount alteration, like either the synergy setup in the video above, or TF's flipped drag link and frame side track bar drop bracket.
FWIW, I ran the Synergy flip & TB bracket for quite awhile and it was a 100% fix.

Last edited by SoK66; 03-27-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode