Need to tow 4,000lbs.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Need to tow 4,000lbs....

08 JKU with 3.73's and manual trans. If I use weight distribution bars and sway control is this doable? County 2 lane blacktop, no more than a slight grade, no more than 100mi round trip.

Would air bagging the rest springs help? Trailer has electric brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Then you better get a vehicle with a 4000 lb tow rating. Pretty much any other SUV on the road can achieve this, so maybe borrow a buddy's truck or SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 07:31 AM
JKO Addict!

^^^what he said

The JK is limited to 3500 tow capacity. You didn't indicated if you were stock or modded, if modded that potentially reduces what you can safely tow.

Sure there are people who brag about towing more than that, but anything over that is a safety risk both for you and your occupants as well as everyone else on the road around you.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 AM
Wheeler

It's just not worth the risk. Even if you are of the frame of mind that everything is engineered with a 10% greater capability you are still towing more than what the Jeep is rated for. So focus on the bigger picture, sure you may make it too and from without issue, BUT is it really worth the danger you are posing on the road to yourself and others? Plus, if you do get into an accident, they will discover you are overloaded and I wouldn't even want to guess what your legal and insurance ramifications would be. As nlgrav suggested find a buddy with a truck or SUV capable of towing 4000 lbs, you could end up with a life of misery for what equates to a quick 100 mile mistake. Final note, IMO if the trailer has electric brakes and the Jeep's wiring does not accommodate the connection, then they probably do not belong together.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...I never thought of the legal ramifications if in an accident.....
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM

I own a transport company and have towed everything imaginable. 500 pounds is no big deal. I towed 5000 lbs with my JKUR and it did it flawlessly. If you do get into an accident do you think they are going too bring out a scale too weight you. Hell no. Balance trailer properly and don't haul ass. You will be fine. It's only rated at 3500 lbs because it has a class II hitch. By the way, I do not use my JKUR for my business because I usually tow things 15k-20k lbs. Just had too that day
post #7 of 7 Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Wheeler

I've got a couple of insurance agents in the family, and I've asked this question. Are they going to break out a scale? No. But if the adjuster can demonstrate that you're over the limit, you are screwed. It's not hard to type in a boat model, or camper into a computer and come up with a weight. Geico adjusters in particular are a-holes, and they do a lot of internet "research" to lowball you as much as possible. Like a buddy with a restored '64 Impala that was offered 4k to total it out (based on Biscayne prices, as far as we could tell), or another with a $3k mountain bike that was offered a price based on Walmart's selection (like $150 or something). If they can get out of paying, they'll try anything they can...that's their job. If you feel like rolling the dice that you'll arrive safely, or that your adjuster is a moron, more power to you.

Safety-wise, there's probably not an issue, if you can drive with 3500 lbs you can probably handle 4000 safely. It comes down to steering and braking more than drivetrain. But yeah, if it was more than a mile or two, I probably wouldn't. There are WAY too many stupid people on the roads.

'12 Sport...I need to up my powerball investments, mods are expensive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode