Blew a shock this weekend - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Blew a shock this weekend

Went for a trail run with a group of guys at Rpmfab this weekend. First time I've damage my jeep while wheeling. I guess this is what your get with no limiting straps.

Still a fun ride and I was still able to limp out after removing the shock on the trail

My jeep is the green one in the last pic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Doing fast stuff or crawling? I've had limiting $40 SkyJacker shocks for years and haven't had trouble with them coming apart.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Don's looks so dinky compared to yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Doing fast stuff or crawling? I've had limiting $40 SkyJacker shocks for years and haven't had trouble with them coming apart.
The trail they ran was not a fast stuff trail.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
The trail they ran was not a fast stuff trail.
Psssh, maybe not for you Ya sissy! Lol

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #6 of 20 Old 03-24-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Don's looks so dinky compared to yours!
Ha ya it does, he's got all his parts on order, that thing is going to be sweet when all is said and done...stay tuned

Anyway the trail was more of the slow stuff, to be honest I was completely surprised when it broke as we weren't even on a rough part of the trail.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 AM
DaK
Rock God

As my dad used to say, "Son, if you are going to do it, then do it right". And to me, that looks a might done right.

Never seen a shock come apart like that before. You may consider contacting the manufacturer. While they may not replace it one would think/hope they would be interested in seeing where the failure occurred with this unit.

We blew the seals on two Bilsteins running a washed out fire road at some pretty high speeds. After that we switched over to Kings and haven't had a problem since. Jeep is much more stable on off camber trails as well.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-25-2014, 12:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThing13 View Post
Blew a shock this weekend
How long did it take for the damping fluid taste to go away?

I'm sure there is a shaft joke in here somewhere too....

I'm curious to see what RK says about this one. Kinda weird it just completely came apart like that.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #9 of 20 Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post

I'm curious to see what RK says about this one. Kinda weird it just completely came apart like that.
Every day there is a new thread with one of their shocks leaking or in this case just falling apart.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-25-2014, 11:42 PM
Granite Guru

Shock

In all fairness to RK, the lower shock mount was bent and took a hit from what I could tell. It looks like that put side pressure on the shock shaft as it traveled.

They are rebuilding it for only $40

We like their products and have had good luck with them. Our shop rig is getting the RK coil over system put on very soon.

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

post #11 of 20 Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post

I lol'd

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 20 Old 03-26-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

[QUOTE=BADGER;2376145]How long did it take for the damping fluid taste to go away?

QUOTE]

I was expecting this on the first reply. Guess there are not as many out there with the same dirty minds as you and I.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-26-2014, 05:17 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Oh, a bunch of us thought it... Guaranteed!

Quote:
post #14 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMFAB View Post
In all fairness to RK, the lower shock mount was bent and took a hit from what I could tell. It looks like that put side pressure on the shock shaft as it traveled.

We like their products and have had good luck with them. Our shop rig is getting the RK coil over system put on very soon.
Once you bend the crap out of your lower shock mount like that, you are putting a ton of stress on the shaft and bearing assembly. Something will give at full extension. It is just like when the shock bodies lay up against the side of the frame or contract something. Running larger shafts makes them not want to bend as much, but if they see enough stress they will break. 3/4" Nitrotec Material can break pretty nasty too.

The real question is, what caused it to bend like that? Did he or she hit something or in a full droop condition was the shock body laying up against the side of the frame trying to bend it in half? Once this is determined a real corrective action can be taken to ensure it does not happen again.

Whomever is sending it back for a rebuild, please tell us their name so we can note this and be sure to replace the bottom cap with bearing assembly as well after seeing that much side load...

RK

Last edited by Rock Krawler Suspension; 03-27-2014 at 06:36 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMFAB View Post

Yeah that could be a big problem.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Every day there is a new thread with one of their shocks leaking or in this case just falling apart.
Doesn't really matter who's shock it is, if you load it in any direction other than axially it will snap like a twig. This one looks like it bent at full droop, maybe due to that bend shock bracket...

I broke 3 rear shocks last year due to kissing rocks. It doesn't take much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Once you bend the crap out of your lower shock mount like that, you are putting a ton of stress on the shaft and bearing assembly. Something will give at full extension. It is just like when the shock bodies lay up against the side of the frame or contract something. Running larger shafts makes them not want to bend as much, but if they see enough stress they will break. 3/4" Nitrotec Material can break pretty nasty too.

The real question is, what caused it to bend like that? Did he or she hit something or in a full droop condition was the shock body laying up against the side of the frame trying to bend it in half? Once this is determined a real corrective action can be taken to ensure it does not happen again.

Whomever is sending it back for a rebuild, please tell us their name so we can note this and be sure to replace the bottom cap with bearing assembly as well after seeing that much side load...

RK
To RK's point, besides checking the lower shock mount to see if the bearing housing contacted the mount, check and see if the body of the shock contacts the frame at full droop (should see marks on the shock body and on the frame). The lower shock mount may need to be outboarded some depending on total travel, axle arc, etc.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM
JKowners Vendor

That is the biggest issue we have seen with JK front shocks is the side loading of them when they contact the frame up front. The second is guys using rear shock relocation brackets and the wrong application for shocks, wether they be our shocks or someone else's.

Long travel shocks up front do have the tendency to contact the frame under heavy articulation....

We will get this customer taken care of.... At second glance of the shock itself it does look like the top stud is bent too so there was a significant side load on the assembly for sure. What was the root cause we hope the customer finds out so it does not happen again.

RK
post #18 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
Doesn't really matter who's shock it is, if you load it in any direction other than axially it will snap like a twig. This one looks like it bent at full droop, maybe due to that bend shock bracket...

I broke 3 rear shocks last year due to kissing rocks. It doesn't take much.

To RK's point, besides checking the lower shock mount to see if the bearing housing contacted the mount, check and see if the body of the shock contacts the frame at full droop (should see marks on the shock body and on the frame). The lower shock mount may need to be outboarded some depending on total travel, axle arc, etc.
Yes and I said 45 minutes before you posted this that if the shock bracket was bent and putting the shock into a bind that could be a big issue. I did not know that shock and the bracket took a hit and were damaged as a result.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-27-2014 at 11:29 AM.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
That is the biggest issue we have seen with JK front shocks is the side loading of them when they contact the frame up front. The second is guys using rear shock relocation brackets and the wrong application for shocks, wether they be our shocks or someone else's.

Long travel shocks up front do have the tendency to contact the frame under heavy articulation....

We will get this customer taken care of.... At second glance of the shock itself it does look like the top stud is bent too so there was a significant side load on the assembly for sure. What was the root cause we hope the customer finds out so it does not happen again.

RK
Upon inspection of the shock housing there is a scuff in the metal at the same height of a sharp edge on the frame/shock mount.

I can see with the 3 link system up front the axle would shift over and cause the contact point under heavy articulation.

With the lower mount bent I will have to see about installing new mounts a little further out.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

RK
Like I said, this was a bent tab and side force. The guys at RK are great to work with and we love their product. They have been very helpful in resolving the problem and RPMFAB will continue to support their line.

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode