5 inch coil springs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-22-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

5 inch coil springs

I currently have a 3 inch lift with front adjustable track and rear track bar drop down bracket. I've got plenty of shock for 5 inch coils. Also have extended brake lines anything else to consider before changing coil springs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Rock God

Have lots of cash. $$$$$

You will need front driv shaft, and want a rear drive shaft. I like mine from coast.
You will need to address the front steering geometry by raising the trackbar mounting level and flip the drag link.
You will need to extend your swaybar links to keep them level for proper control and also if you have a rubicon you don't want the front swaybar to flipping forward, ultimately bending the link over the steering linkage. Also if you get it serviced you don't want either swaybar flipping due to the links not being long enough. Don't ask me how I know this! ROFL

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-22-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I get the trackbar adjustment but do I have to flip the drag link? And my discos are adjustable so I'm good there. Hadn't thought about the drive shafts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
I currently have a 3 inch lift with front adjustable track and rear track bar drop down bracket. I've got plenty of shock for 5 inch coils. Also have extended brake lines anything else to consider before changing coil springs?

What kind of coil spring do you have now?

Do you want the additional height or the additional coil spring length/travel?
post #5 of 15 Old 03-22-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

3" BDS coil springs, they came on the jeep when I purchased it. I just want to squeeze a little more height out of the jk. I currently run a Teraflex 1inch spacer in the front to get rid of the rake and to help with winch bumper. So technically 4 in the front and 3 in the rear. How about just changing out the spacers for 5 in the front and 4 in the rear. Would I still run into drive shaft issue?
post #6 of 15 Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
3" BDS coil springs, they came on the jeep when I purchased it. I just want to squeeze a little more height out of the jk. I currently run a Teraflex 1inch spacer in the front to get rid of the rake and to help with winch bumper. So technically 4 in the front and 3 in the rear. How about just changing out the spacers for 5 in the front and 4 in the rear. Would I still run into drive shaft issue?
Extended and collapsed lengths of your shocks?
post #7 of 15 Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Collapsed Length (inches): 16.41
Extended Length (inches): 27.56
post #8 of 15 Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Collapsed Length (inches): 16.41
Extended Length (inches): 27.56
You will not have to worry much about your driveshafts honestly. 6" front lift 5" rear lift and 30" extended 17" collapsed shocks. 3000 miles so far on stock shafts no issues.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Copy that!
post #10 of 15 Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 AM
JKO Addict!

5 inch coil springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
Have lots of cash. $$$$$

You will need front driv shaft, and want a rear drive shaft. I like mine from coast.
You will need to address the front steering geometry by raising the trackbar mounting level and flip the drag link.
You will need to extend your swaybar links to keep them level for proper control and also if you have a rubicon you don't want the front swaybar to flipping forward, ultimately bending the link over the steering linkage. Also if you get it serviced you don't want either swaybar flipping due to the links not being long enough. Don't ask me how I know this! ROFL

Agree ^

You'll want all 8 control arms to at least center the axles in the wells assuming you're running 37's-40's. Geometry will never be the same with bolt on arms FYI.
Caster will be non-existent running so much lift and decent pinion angle-Even more important with a aftermarket double carden DS. You're better off just throwing a Prorock under the front w/ caster built in, stronger, add better ball joints, etc.
The rear will be hit or miss as far as how long the stock DS will last. You'll need pinion correction, with that perch and TB frame mount relocation. Then a aftermarket cover to move the fill hole up. Adjustable track bars on each end. Do away with the rear drop bracket. You'll need a rear raised bracket if running a front raised bracket (w/ steering correction aka flipped drag link/raised TB mount)
Extended brake lines front and rear.
Extended swaybar links front and rear. Prob want to look at moving shock mounts to utilize shock travel.
A lot of shit IMO. Starts getting hairy about 4"

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers

Last edited by kjeeper10; 03-23-2014 at 06:44 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-23-2014, 07:01 AM
JKO Addict!

You'll need a front driveshaft probably sooner than later, the 6" front lift application may not last terribly long. 3,000 miles isn't even an oil change for me, hardly a test of time. Especially if they haven't been serviced/greased.

The drag link flip will be required to many if you want it to handle the road reasonably.

A method of recentering the rear axle and adjusting rear pinion angle will be wanted. As well as some form of caster correction, or it will drive miserably.

What size tire are you planning on running? 5" of lift on a JK is 40" tire territory.

Planning on regearing with these big tires?

You'll want an upgraded drag link and tie rod and probably look into a ram-assist with the larger tires, if they're a common 37-40" with that much lift.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm definitely doing a re gear I've got an auto and I'm looking at 5.13's. I tow my off road camping trailer a lot and the 35's suck the life out of the jeep when I'm in the mountains.This is starting to sound like more work then I'm ready for at this point. I just wanted a little more lift with the option to run 37's if I decided to change up down the road!
post #13 of 15 Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Rock God

37's should be possible with fender trimming/replacing with a 3" lift. I'm hardly an expert but I've read of many people on 37's with not much lift.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #14 of 15 Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I think at this point I'm going to stick with what I got. 4 inches in the front and 3 in the rear. Sounds like a lot to consider for a little more carry. I did order my Tom Woods front drive shaft today and anti rock sway bar kit. Gonna roll with that and hopefully I can get my jeep in the shop soon for the 5.13 gears and rear locker. Maybe down the road if I break some more stuff then I can do the lift. I was just considering 37's but so far my 35's take care of me!
post #15 of 15 Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
You'll need a front driveshaft probably sooner than later, the 6" front lift application may not last terribly long. 3,000 miles isn't even an oil change for me, hardly a test of time. Especially if they haven't been serviced/greased.

The drag link flip will be required to many if you want it to handle the road reasonably.

A method of recentering the rear axle and adjusting rear pinion angle will be wanted. As well as some form of caster correction, or it will drive miserably.

What size tire are you planning on running? 5" of lift on a JK is 40" tire territory.

Planning on regearing with these big tires?

You'll want an upgraded drag link and tie rod and probably look into a ram-assist with the larger tires, if they're a common 37-40" with that much lift.
Yeah I know 3000 miles is not long. I have not had my 2013 JK that long yet but people act like as soon as you go over 2.5" of lift you need driveshafts instantly which is BS. If the boots are old and dried out they will crack more easily when flexed, but when new they seem quite pliable. Only maint so far is have cleaned and conditioned the boots twice in the 10 months I have had my JK. I inspect them often. No tears in the boot, no vibes and no grease leaking out at 6" of lift (The JK is mostly street driven but I have a few wheeling sessions on it). The boots tearing and letting the grease out seem to be the biggest issue. I too am curious how long they will last but I will be be changing them until they go out.

Added note: I thought you had close to 5" of lift? I have seen pics of your rig and other than your tires being 3" smaller yours looks almost as tall as mine.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-27-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode