Rubicon Express 2.5" Budget boost w or w/o drive shafts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-21-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rubicon Express 2.5" Budget boost w or w/o drive shafts

I am looking to purchase a 12+ 2dr in or around may. I am researching my future build now. I am looking at the RE 2.5" BB w/ twin tube and the mono (it will be one or the other. Also know the monos are tuned 5100s). Back to the point I will be running light with only possibly a stock VDP capped front and a smittybilt rear tire carrier running on 35s. I will also not be doing any crawling due to the lack of rocks in south louisiana. I will be playing in the mud and possibly a little sand. What I really need to know is should I replace front, rear or both drive shafts? I do not want to install the exhaust extensions b/c of the 3.6 tuned exhaust loop and just want to do it right the first time and possibly sell the stock DSs if they are undamaged. Any info will be a step in the right direction even recommendations on a different lift if there is better around the same price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Granite Guru

I would do a DS in front and leave the back alone. You could just use an exhaust spacer too. You will not get more than around $100 for the front and almost nobody wants the rear.

I wonder how they tune the 5100s- softer for these springs?

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #3 of 22 Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Not a clue. Just relaying what I have read else where about tuned re branded 5100s.

I don't mind spending the money on DSs right out the gate so I am not playing the game of watching the boots. I would rather wait to hear a wine from the U joints on a strong DS and swap them out when needed. Especially for around $850 shipped for front and rear 1310s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I would do a DS in front and leave the back alone. You could just use an exhaust spacer too. You will not get more than around $100 for the front and almost nobody wants the rear.

I wonder how they tune the 5100s- softer for these springs?
He will not need driveshafts at all. Just have the exhaust rerouted or install exhaust spacers. I have a 2013 2 door and 3000 miles so far at 6" of lift with 13" travel shocks (I rarely need all 13") and my driveshafts are still fine. I will replace them when they fail until then I will continue to run them. With a 2.5" lift unless you are running shocks intended for a 6-7" lift you will not need driveshafts for a long time unless you let the boots rot off of them.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-21-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Rock God

^^^^^

Correct. You will NOT need shafts for 2.5-inch lift.

I am on my third JK on a 2.5 lift; never had any shaft issues.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #6 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Roger that. Thanks for the input. So basically just exhaust extensions?
post #7 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLJK View Post
I am looking to purchase a 12+ 2dr in or around may. I am researching my future build now. I am looking at the RE 2.5" BB w/ twin tube and the mono (it will be one or the other. Also know the monos are tuned 5100s). Back to the point I will be running light with only possibly a stock VDP capped front and a smittybilt rear tire carrier running on 35s. I will also not be doing any crawling due to the lack of rocks in south louisiana. I will be playing in the mud and possibly a little sand. What I really need to know is should I replace front, rear or both drive shafts? I do not want to install the exhaust extensions b/c of the 3.6 tuned exhaust loop and just want to do it right the first time and possibly sell the stock DSs if they are undamaged. Any info will be a step in the right direction even recommendations on a different lift if there is better around the same price.
I've been running the RE 2-1/2" since I bought my jeep along with the stock tires. I've wheeled in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi. There are quite a few places where there are rocks in La. Kisatchie National Forest, Sicily Island and near Saint Francisville. My opinion is leave the drive shafts alone and keep away from the quick sand, quick mud and "flotons".

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #8 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah after stating the lack of Louisiana rocks I saw the Catahoula Rec Park and started scratching. But back on point... So the stock shafts are gonna be cool as a cucumber. Just need the exhaust spacers and I will be golden. I will try to take your advice on staying out of the sticky but I grew up in the cane fields. Thanks for the advice.

Now I have an exhaust spacer question on what kind of loss in power do you get from doing that? With the hoop on the one side to give the exhaust its equal length adding the spacers does it mess with the torque? Just wondering. I will be doing a traildash, intake, exhaust and a lil n2o to recoup any loss in power.(I already have the nitrous kit sitting at the house so why not)
post #9 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Yeah after stating the lack of Louisiana rocks I saw the Catahoula Rec Park and started scratching. But back on point... So the stock shafts are gonna be cool as a cucumber. Just need the exhaust spacers and I will be golden. I will try to take your advice on staying out of the sticky but I grew up in the cane fields. Thanks for the advice.

Now I have an exhaust spacer question on what kind of loss in power do you get from doing that? With the hoop on the one side to give the exhaust its equal length adding the spacers does it mess with the torque? Just wondering. I will be doing a traildash, intake, exhaust and a lil n2o to recoup any loss in power.(I already have the nitrous kit sitting at the house so why not)
No noticable power loss with my exhaust spacers but I do plan on rerouting the whole exhaust system putting a 5-6" round magnaflow muffler on where the factory resonator is and having everything welded up tight. I have a couple tiny exhaust leaks.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok sounds like a plan. Guess I will have an extra $850 to put else where. I guess the RE 2.5 w monos will be the lift of choice then. I appreciate all the help.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Granite Guru

What about track bars F&R, with or without brackets, if they are needed?
post #12 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I was just looking at track bars and wondering the same thing or are the brackets good enough?
post #13 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I was just looking at track bars and wondering the same thing or are the brackets good enough?
I would do adjustable front and rear track bars.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Rock God

FWIW , I have the RE 3.5 supper flex , I run light no armor yet and it is pretty stiff , I would look around , say EVO or RK for a better ride ,just my 2 cents !
post #15 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info. Anyone know if the Superlift springs worth a shit?
post #16 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
FWIW , I have the RE 3.5 supper flex , I run light no armor yet and it is pretty stiff , I would look around , say EVO or RK for a better ride ,just my 2 cents !
What shocks are you running? That has more to do with ride IMO than the springs. Stiff shocks will make your Jeep ride like crap.

Ive had 3 RE sf lifts and they all rode Great. I was using rancho adj 9000shocks.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Nitrous? Really? Anyone done that before? Im only asking because i have an old n.o.s. kit sittin in my garage. Guess it would be good for wheel spin in mud.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #18 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 03:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
What shocks are you running? That has more to do with ride IMO than the springs. Stiff shocks will make your Jeep ride like crap.

Ive had 3 RE sf lifts and they all rode Great. I was using rancho adj 9000shocks.

Agree, for coils. MC, Synergy or RK's new triple rates. Shocks ... Check out the Rebate going on Rancho shocks.
The 7000's are compatible to the Billy's but not as harsh, 9000's are adjustable. Tune to your liking.
I'm seeing less than $250 for 4 9000's after the rebate.

Wait .... Nitrous what ? A Sneaky Pete kit in a jeep rofl

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #19 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Not needed at 2.5" of "actual lift" most your 2.5" coils will yield more height. For Track bars -
A front is nice to have adding some rigidity to the steering.
For the rear, you really don't need a adjustable track bar. A axle bracket is enough to reposition the axle and raise roll center. Some kits run TB drop brackets which I don't recommend.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #20 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ok so a front track bar would be good and the bracket is cool for the rear.... As for nitrous I have an old kit sitting in the shed that came off my old honda and chevy pick up. So it has seen 2 vehicles on opposite ends of the spectrum. My truck was an 02 silverado 4x4 with a 4.8 cammed w/ nitrous and it was a fun run. Just figured why not run it on a jeep as well seeing as no one else is.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 04:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Nothing to add on that. I'm just picturing a hand slip and somebody rockets themselves off a cliff lol
Jk .... Yes. Front track bar and a rear axle bracket like this one (Teraflex)
Also included A pic of Synergys (not mine)

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1395614665.108437.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  700.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1395614680.126525.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  140.0 KB

post #22 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

roger that. Looks like the rear track brackets pictured are a little beefier than the normal in the other kits i have seen that merely bolt onto the existing bracket causing that much more leverage on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode