All wheels off at once... best/safest way to lift/support? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

All wheels off at once... best/safest way to lift/support?

I'm going to do my first tire rotation in about 2 weeks, and when I pull the wheels off I'd like to plasti-dip them. It'd be nice to do all five at once rather than do 'em in pairs.

I'll have a floor jack and jack stands (I have two, but could always grab two more matching ones from Harbor Freight).

I read somewhere about putting the front on stands and lifting the rear from the pumpkin with the floor jack - but three points of support concerns me.

Is it safe to support all four corners of the Jeep on jack stands? And if so, What's the safest way to get it up on the stands?

If not, what's the best way to accomplish "all wheels off" without a lift in the garage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-21-2014, 09:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDevDan View Post
I read somewhere about putting the front on stands and lifting the rear from the pumpkin with the floor jack - but three points of support concerns me.
I do this but with four stands ONLY. Get the front axle supported then do the rear and lower it onto the second set of stands. I leave the jack there for a little extra support.

Just be sure the stands are large enough footprint, not the little car stands. And be sure the jack rolls well or you can pull the front stands back while it's lifting the rear.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Put all four tires under the frame after you get it on jackstands, just in case something happens the jeep will land on the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-21-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Put all four tires under the frame after you get it on jackstands, just in case something happens the jeep will land on the tires.
But if I'm dipping the wheels, they'll be off to the side where I'm spraying and I won't have tires to put under it. Alternatives?
post #5 of 12 Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM

Maybe if i read your whole post instead of what I thought I was reading.

I would get the best jackstands then and leave the jack under the rear axle.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Rock God

Get the 6 ton jack stands from Harbor freight. You will need them mostly for the additional height they give you, but they are the perfect size for the Jeep. And they are cheap.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #7 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDevDan View Post
I'm going to do my first tire rotation in about 2 weeks, and when I pull the wheels off I'd like to plasti-dip them. It'd be nice to do all five at once rather than do 'em in pairs.

I'll have a floor jack and jack stands (I have two, but could always grab two more matching ones from Harbor Freight).

Is it safe to support all four corners of the Jeep on jack stands? And if so, What's the safest way to get it up on the stands?

If not, what's the best way to accomplish "all wheels off" without a lift in the garage?
if you cant shake the jeep then its not safe, 4 jack stands under the axles closest to the brakes.

Originally quoted by :White13JKUR
My favorite was the time at the ATM when I hopped out of the jeep and a hot soccer mom immediately approached me and asked in a friendly voice: “How many inches do you have?” Then, when I looked to see that she too had jumped out of a stock jeep similar to mine, I responded with confidence : “3.5 inches”
post #8 of 12 Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Granite Guru

3 ton jack stands work fine for this. Sears has a pair now for like $20. PN 00950159000P

With the shorter jack stands just use them under the axle and not the frame.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
3 ton jack stands work fine for this. Sears has a pair now for like $20. PN 00950159000P

With the shorter jack stands just use them under the axle and not the frame.
No one has suggested using jack stands on the frame for a 4 tire rotation.

for $27 more per pair you can get the HF 6 ton.

The 3 ton are short and only really work on stock wheels and even then they have a much narrower footprint. I'm not trusting 4 of these narrow things

The 6 ton versions are much wider, taller to allow use of bigger tires and much more sturdy.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #10 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Rock God

Maybe I've just got a bigger jeep than most people, but no way I'd be without my set of 12ton stands for doing jeep work. The 6tons always seem to be at worst a hair short or at best fully extended, when placed on the frame and the suspension cycled. The 12's I can usually get away with only a few notches up.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
Maybe I've just got a bigger jeep than most people, but no way I'd be without my set of 12ton stands for doing jeep work. The 6tons always seem to be at worst a hair short or at best fully extended, when placed on the frame and the suspension cycled. The 12's I can usually get away with only a few notches up.
Thats what I have under the jeep right now. Been holding the jeep up for three weeks now while I work on the back axle.

Quote:
Quote:
post #12 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Thats what I have under the jeep right now. Been holding the jeep up for three weeks now while I work on the back axle.
X 2 (3?) 6 tons under the axles or 12 tons under the frame. Nothing wrong with just using the ones under the axles. And depending on what kind of place you have to do this, it could actually be less stable under the frame because the stands are closer together unless you put them under the frame horns at each end. If you're worried about only having three points of support while you're getting the stands under the rear axle, just leave the front wheels in place until you get the whole thing in the air. But be sure to do one end at a time, not the side.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 03-25-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode