Does your electric defrost light flash? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
51%
Wheeler

Question Does your electric defrost light flash?

Hi, all.

Recently my Jeep began to intermittently flash the electric defrost light when started. Over a couple of weeks it became more frequent. It does this flashing on startup whether the HVAC system is on or off. While it's flashing, the blower won't run, or the a/c compressor.

Took it to the dealer this week, and after two days, they are stumped. Say they have other new ones on the lot doing the same thing. They're talking with Chrysler who apparently does not know what's causing this either.
Anyone else seen this, or have a solution? I saw one report of a guy who solved his by disconnecting the battery. Tonight when I pick the the Jeep from the dealer I'll give that a try.

Here's a vid:

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Mike

14 JKU 4-1/2 AEV Dualsport RS, 37" KM2 on Pintlers, PR44, 4.88, ARBs .... under construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Wheeler

Blinking defroster light

My 2014 with 17000 miles has also started this recently. Only annoying when it's really hot out.

If you can't save the world, keep both hands on the camera.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Wheeler

I have a 2012 JKU that I recently changed out the OEM battery that went bad to a new AGM type battery. I had the battery terminals unhooked for about 20-30 minutes changing the batteries and afterwards the defrost light started comming on and flashing at start-up.
It seems like it just takes a few seconds longer for the blower to start up.
I will keep an eye on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51% View Post
Hi, all.

Recently my Jeep began to intermittently flash the electric defrost light when started. Over a couple of weeks it became more frequent. It does this flashing on startup whether the HVAC system is on or off. While it's flashing, the blower won't run, or the a/c compressor.

Took it to the dealer this week, and after two days, they are stumped. Say they have other new ones on the lot doing the same thing. They're talking with Chrysler who apparently does not know what's causing this either.
Anyone else seen this, or have a solution? I saw one report of a guy who solved his by disconnecting the battery. Tonight when I pick the the Jeep from the dealer I'll give that a try.

Here's a vid:

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Mike
Hi Mike!!...;
Try setting your (far right) knob on "bi-level" one position up. I have a 2014 Sahara Unlimited... and today I had mine set: left knob (fan speed) auto, middle knob set at "70"... left knob on "auto. When I would push the center button for "ac" it would blink then turn off. The only way I could keep the center button lit was to move the right button "off of" auto. I realize it isn't quite the same problem as yours, but it doesn't seem to work right on all settings...

Drive On!!...
Fast Freddie

2014 Wrangler
Sahara Unlimited
USMC (University of Music, Science and Culture)
64-67 Nam 66
post #5 of 15 Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 PM
kcs
Wheeler

EBL light Malfuntion

Just had my 2014 Rubicon repaired under warranty for the exact thing. They had to order what I believe was some type of Heat/AC control module. I do not have my paperwork in front of me. Got the Jeep back yesterday. I think they called it an EBL malfunction. Had the work done at Kernersville Jeep in NC. Lori was the service writer.

2015 Jeep Rubicon
Just keeping it stock for now
post #6 of 15 Old 09-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Me

Mine also just started doing that this week. From what the inter web says, it's a fault that jeep needs to fix and is under warranty. If the part is in, it should only take a few hours or so. THX for posting that photo btw.

Jeep 2014 Unlimited Sahara
post #7 of 15 Old 10-09-2014, 08:44 AM
LCL

HEY THIS IS LORI AND I NEED YOU TO CALL ME AT THE DEALERSHIP
336-564-0275
post #8 of 15 Old 10-09-2014, 09:02 AM
LCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcs View Post
Just had my 2014 Rubicon repaired under warranty for the exact thing. They had to order what I believe was some type of Heat/AC control module. I do not have my paperwork in front of me. Got the Jeep back yesterday. I think they called it an EBL malfunction. Had the work done at Kernersville Jeep in NC. Lori was the service writer.
THIS IS LORI-PLEASE CALL ME 336-564-0275
post #9 of 15 Old 10-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL View Post
THIS IS LORI-PLEASE CALL ME 336-564-0275
Lori is panicking!

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #10 of 15 Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

Mine blinks at startup, but I kind of suspected it was because the defroster was disconnected. ie. attached to the hardtop which has been hanging in the shop for months.

I guess I'll check after putting the hard top back on here in a few weeks.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #11 of 15 Old 10-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
Lori is panicking!
So what happened!!... Mebbe mine is screwed-up also...

Fast Freddie

2014 Wrangler
Sahara Unlimited
USMC (University of Music, Science and Culture)
64-67 Nam 66
post #12 of 15 Old 10-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Wheeler

Lori, what is the resolution?

If you can't save the world, keep both hands on the camera.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal-adjusted View Post
Lori, what is the resolution?
I read recently in another forum that the fix is to replace the "control head". People that have had this completed no longer have the blinking rear defrost issue.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-17-2019, 06:33 AM

Thumbs up Fixed mine in 30 seconds or so...

I'll be as specific as possible to the process I went through (I'm sure the last 3 steps are unnecessary but I was seeing if I could get the calibrating motors (or whatever the correct term is) to move any more..
I had the defrost light blinking issue after changing the battery in my 17' JK Sport.
After the engine being off for a decent amount of time (I waited roughly an hour), I got into the vehicle and waited. I heard the motors underneath the glovbox moving / calibrating and it lasted maybe 20 seconds before it subsided. All gauges were set to off (approx. 7 o'clock) just ftr. I then switched the selection knob (3rd knob all the way to the right) all the way to defrost and back to 'face' position. Then moved to the 2nd knob (temperature control) and did the same thing and finally the first knob (fan strength knob). I put the key in the ignition and started it up and turned on my a/c and it seems to be functioning normally again. I'm not sure if this is going to fix anyone's issue that just occurred for no reason, however, as far as replacing the battery, it worked for me, being it functioned normal prior to replacing.
I hope this helps someone out there!
Much Love,
Greg
post #15 of 15 Old 09-25-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage

My 14 is doing it. Dealership is replacing HVAC control panel. AKA Temp, fan, position knobs. I will let you know if it fixes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode