How risky a running without a spare on daily driver? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 03-17-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

How risky a running without a spare on daily driver?

While I would not want to run sans spare on the trail out of fear of popping a bead while aired down, running without a spare for daily driving seems doable. I have onboard air (arb dual) and a decent tire plug kit.

I run 37" MTRs on sock rubi wheels. I suppose in a pinch, I could come home and fling the 37" spare into the mini van if the tire cannot be repaired.

Anyone done this long term? Bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd do it with my trail grapplers without worrying much. I'd have air and plugs and be pretty much good-to-go

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Worst case you would have to call road side assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Wheeler

The odds of getting a flat really depend on a huge number of variables, but given that you llive in Northern CA and assuming the MTRs are fairly new and you aren't doing an excessive amount of driving each day, the probability is very slim. As long as you don't have a job that depends above all on your timeliness, ditch the spare and take the risk.

What's the down side to running with the spare on the back, though? With 37s, I can't imagine you're concerned about MPGs, lol.if you already have a tire carrier that can support a 37, what's the harm in just leaving it there?

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Wheeler

i ditched mine about 6 months ago...no looking back. road side assistance costs me less than 2 dollars a month on my insurance policy. i may add a tire/carrier but for now its OBA and a plug kit. 7 jeeps and 0 tire changes...i do throw it in the back on the trail though

2012 Black JKU , 2.5 RockKrawler lift, 285/75-17 nitto terra's, Custom AtoZ sliders, AtoZ bumper with Quadratec I9500 winch..
post #6 of 26 Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

It's not clear what roadside assistance would buy me unless they could reset a popped bead or have 37" in stock on the truck for when tire plugs don't work.

Anyway, it sounds low risk with onboard air and a good plug kit.

The idea here is indeed to save a little weight. Seems like it would prolong the life of the spare a little too, keeping it out of the sun.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Rotate that spare in with the others and get 25% more life from the set of tires.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #8 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Keeping the spare in rotation would be part of the plan.
post #9 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Rock God

Running on newer 37" tires I'd say your chances of getting a flat are slim to none.

However, in general I'd NOT rely on Roadside Assistance for flats.

Firstly, Chrysler's Roadside Assistance will NOT cover you in case of a flat --as I rudely found out one time I got a flat on my Challenger SRT 392...which, to add insult to injury, comes with NO spare tire from the factory. You will need membership to AAA or some other roadside service.

Secondly, you will be waiting for a LONG time for Assistance to arrive. Now, a 37" tire is not easy to lift on or off the carrier, but if you have someone to give you a hand, you will be on your way before they even dispatched that tow truck.

Finally, if you were to get a flat out of cell reception, you will have one hell of a time getting through to Roadside Assistance

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires

Last edited by aldo90731; 03-18-2014 at 08:02 AM.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Normal running I don't worry about it, just keep a plug kit on hand. Long trips I like to have the spare on hand in case it's needed. I have a full-size matching spare for my truck and my Jeep and don't carry either.
post #11 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Rock God

I have road side assistance through my auto ins. It's like $5.00/mo for the jeep and the wife's car. Also, it's offered by AT&T cell for about $5.00/mo per cell. If you carry a plug kit, when you call roadside, you just need to tell them you need air. By the time they get there, you should have the plug cemented in there and ready for air.

Yeah, you might wait about 45 mins for the truck to show up. Like everything else, it's a trade off. I stopped carrying a spare 3 years ago around town. On the trail, always have it with me.

I've been meaning to mount my CO2 tank in the back, but haven't gotten around to it.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #12 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Rock God

Local driving, never carry my spare. Any time I go out of town, wheelin or not, I carry my spare.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

I have a plug kit, OBA and Nitto Trail Grapplers, I am not worried about it.

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
post #14 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I used to keep road side assistance for the wife in case she let the battery go dead or got a flat when I wasn't around.

Now the mini van has onboard air and plugs. Well... because I did not like the dual pump slime unit or the cheap slime plugs for use with the jeep so they got punted to the van.

In reflecting on all of the flats that I have ever gotten, they've been pretty much 99% nails and screws and such for all other previous vehicles combined.

The one sidewall puncture that I did incur in the bimmer could have been saved by the arb goodies if I had had them at the time.

think i'll order up that tramp stamp today.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Air, lighter fluid, match, beads are no problem.

Depends on how far from civilization you're going.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #16 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Air, lighter fluid, match, beads are no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_SubrPR7gE

Courtesy of usmcdoc14
post #17 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Wow... I'm an old tech and have never even heard of that method. Pretty damned cool for no tools. Sounds cool too. I still have an old set of ear protectors that. Could toss it in the tool bag too.
post #18 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Wow... I'm an old tech and have never even heard of that method. Pretty damned cool for no tools. Sounds cool too. I still have an old set of ear protectors that. Could toss it in the tool bag too.
But the guy in the video isn't very smart. Try throwing a match instead of spraying the starter fluid over a lighter.

I used to use this method 25 years ago when I worked in the heavy equipment industry. Not many other way to get a bead on a tire in the field.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #19 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
and if you want to leave your rig on the la express or xbronx xpressway
post #20 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Rock God

Quote:
We used to use carb starting fluid and a lighter to seat the beads on big tires like 44" swampers.
post #21 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Wow .. Doc only said fuck once

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #22 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
While I would not want to run sans spare on the trail out of fear of popping a bead while aired down, running without a spare for daily driving seems doable. I have onboard air (arb dual) and a decent tire plug kit.

I run 37" MTRs on sock rubi wheels. I suppose in a pinch, I could come home and fling the 37" spare into the mini van if the tire cannot be repaired.

Anyone done this long term? Bad idea?
I wouldnt worry about a flat most 37" are 10 ply, and nails have a hard time piercing that. What i would be concerned about is that if you live in an area with bad weather like snow, heavy rain, or ice is the weight ratio from front to back, the extra 100 lbs (around 40 stock) helps a lot on traction. I also have 37" tires and being lifted the scariest thing is not sliding on ice, its getting traction again while floating sideways down the road. The extra weight helps keep your rear tires on the ground and helps with the overall balance of the jeep. Plus your lift kit is engineered for the weight so your rear springs will actually come up a 1/4 of an inch or more for cheaper lift kits. Most 4-6" lifts are engineered for 80-120lbs of rear force over stock. This balance is just for leveling purposes.
post #23 of 26 Old 03-18-2014, 09:24 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
battery box failure?
post #25 of 26 Old 03-19-2014, 01:29 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
battery box failure?
I'm pretty sure he was running without a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode