Stock JKU gas tank skid - worth upgrading? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-17-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ
Stock JKU gas tank skid - worth upgrading?

I'm sure like most who wheel in the rocks (I'm in AZ) your stock JKU gas tank skid plate looks like a herd of elephants walked over it. So while it's doing it's job as I have no apparent damage to the tank itself, I'm wondering if it makes any sense to upgrade to better armor? I'm currently running the River Raider Oil and Transmission pan skid with the stock transaxle and gas tank skids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I still have a stocker, mine looks like crap too, but works. I'm not in a hurry to add 100lbs to my DD Jeep for a skid.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Save weight and improve function all around by straightening it the best you can and then skin it with UHMW polyethylene. 1/4" would do it and you can get reclaimed UHMW from Interstate Plastics pretty cheap if you buy standard sizes. It's black too, so it wouldn't be that noticeable.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2014, 09:28 PM
JKO Addict!

nope, you loose clearance and gain weight.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

I got some gas tank skids I need to move, shoot me a PM if you are interested.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #6 of 7 Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Wheeler

PM sent, Pig. Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 AM
Rock God

This is what I did to beef mine up. When I removed it I hammered out the 2 big dents than I welded on 2 2" by 3/8th tick slides that I bent than harden.
It works great now so when it takes a hit it is spread out over the entire skid plate so I just have to hit it with more paint.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode