Fog lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-15-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Fog lights

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I did a search, but I didn't find an answer unfortunately.

I have a 2008 wrangler with fog lights mounted on the front bumper.

They do not work. There is a switch inside on the wand that will turn on the icon in the gauge cluster, but it doesn't turn on anything else that I can see. I have found a random wire that looks to be cut and running through a loom that may be the issue, but I don't know how to tell.

There is a red wire that comes off of the positive terminal and goes to an inline fuse (and yes, I replaced the fuse as it was burned).

Into the same loom is a white wire that goes to the negative on the battery. Also in this loom is a long blue colored wire that has been cut and bound.

My guess is that this should be hooked to something for the fog lights to work, but I am not certain. I tried touching it to the positive terminal to see if the lights would come on, but they do not. I traced the other wires coming off of the positive terminal and they do not seem to be related to the lights. The larger red wires go to the amp and winch. I would hate to run a new set of wires for the fog lights since the switch is already there, but I do not know much about electrical and that seems like the easiest fix. Any suggestions or advice is welcome and needed.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

That wiring looks like it's for a 7 pin trailer harness. If you have stock fog lights the wiring wouldn't come right to your battery.
Your fogs could be burnt out. Have you checked the bulbs?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

-Living the dream - Didn't say it was mine-
post #3 of 4 Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I have not been able to figured out how to get the bulbs out yet, but upon further inspection, I found that each foglight had quick disconnects. I put a voltage meter on the disconnects with the switch turned on and found that each pigtail has approximately 12 volts. I have a set of Hellas that may be put on instead of the set that is there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

After taking apart the lights to get to the bulb, I found the bulbs soldered to the wiring. Not supposed to be replaced I suppose. This gives me an excuse for some lights I suppose... Time to talk to the money boss, haha

Thank you for the heads up on the bulbs. Seems like that would have been the first thing to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode