Antifreeze leak at thermostat housing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-15-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Antifreeze leak at thermostat housing

Have looked and read some posts on this but have not really found out what to do. I have a leak at what I will say is the back bolt that holds the thermostat housing on. Any way it looks as though the fluid is leaking there. I have replaced the hose clamp with a screw clamp design and still have the leak. Does anybody know is that back bolt hole blind or open into the water cavity and last what has been done to fix the leak?

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheels4life View Post
Have looked and read some posts on this but have not really found out what to do. I have a leak at what I will say is the back bolt that holds the thermostat housing on. Any way it looks as though the fluid is leaking there. I have replaced the hose clamp with a screw clamp design and still have the leak. Does anybody know is that back bolt hole blind or open into the water cavity and last what has been done to fix the leak?
Have you considered just replacing the thermostat and thermostat gasket? From what I recall, there is no housing gasket, just the rubber seal around the thermostat. If you still have the factory thermostat and gasket, I'm sure that the gasket has deformed and its ability to seal has been diminished.

2008 2 Door Rubicon
4" Zone Lift
15x10 Ion 138
35x13.50R15 Toyo Open Country MT
A bunch of other stuff done and yet to do
post #3 of 3 Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Rock God

If you replace the thermostat make sure they sell you the right one. My "new" one leaked until I removed it again to replace and realized it was slightly different than the correct one.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode