JKOwners Forum banner

is 4.88 too much?

4K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  jkx0778 
#1 ·
Just stole some 285 duratracs from work (660 out the door) and my current set up is 3.73, automatic, 3.8 liter slug, sport. MIGHT GO TO 35'S, but thatll be when its decommissioned to trail rig only. i need practical every day driver use of this jeep, highway, city split and i will be wheeling it a lot more than the average jk driver will be. sand dunes and rocks are my poison, so light use but not so light if you catch my drift. any suggestions, throw them my way, jeep on guys

#2 ·
I have 4.88 in a standard 3.8 liter unlimited with 35" bfg KM2 and love it.
I have enough power to move up to 37 is I wanted but it is fine with 35.

MPG isn't exactly pretty with 13 or so on highway and average of 11 in town.

hope that helps a bit.

#4 ·
Running 5.38s on 35s (probably like 33-34s now), 3.8L, automatic, 4 door. I turn off overdrive around town if there's traffic. 4th gear is still a dog.

#7 ·
ok now, what about MPG, i know its a jeep and not looking for perfect MPG but Im a 3.8 07 X and from what im told its 3:10's I'm on 33s and 6th gear is a dogg! its a pain!!! but I'm not going up to 35's anytime soon.

PS: Sorry to thread jack!

#8 ·
With an 07-11 automatic, if anything, 4.88s won't be enough. I'd do 5.13s with 33s and 5.38s with 35s or 37s, but 5.13s is the lowers gearing you can out in a Dana 30 front axle.

6 speed 07-11s have a completely different transmission ratio and don't need as low gearing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
I have those exact tires on my jeep, running the stock 3.73s. I didn't really notice a difference when going from stock, it's never had much pick up. Duratracs are a relatively light tire compared to many MTs, so that helps a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.