Any pics of 4 door with bar padding removed? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Any pics of 4 door with bar padding removed?

Hey guys, I have been noodling around and I could only find one picture of a 4 door with the top down and no padding in the stock roll bar. Do any of you have some pics you can share?

I ask because I am thinking about doing it, but being disabled is going to turn this into a project for me. I would hate to pull it all off, just to not like it an put it back on.

My reason for wanting to do this is, I had the hard top and doors off for the first time today. The Jeep looked a little strange with a black halo with a billet spike sticking up in the middle (aka B pillar). I was thinking it would look much better if the color of the roll bar matches the rest of the paint.

My main concern is pulling the padding and finding that there are crappy welds, flat stock and unfinished areas on the bars. I am hoping someone who has done it can help me out.

Thanks,
Spaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Wheeler

last time I looked there was no paint under the padding, it was just primer.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Rock God

Mine has just primer.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Crap. I was afraid of that. Well, I guess I'll save a few bucks to get it painted some time during the summer.

I appreciate the heads-up guys.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Wheeler

Just remember you're going to have some goofy black plastic pieces up by the windshield and the soundbar itself. I googled jeep wrangler jk no roll bar padding and found a few, check it out. It might give you an idea of what it'll look like without the padding.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Rock God

Some however were lucky enough to have theirs already painted. Start at the back and peel up about 3 feet and you should be able to tell.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
Crap. I was afraid of that. Well, I guess I'll save a few bucks to get it painted some time during the summer.

I appreciate the heads-up guys.
If it's just primer the I'd save the $ and use Rustoleum bedliner or some equivalent.

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Sounds good guys. I'll take a look at it in a week or so and let you guys know. Its gonna snow here in a couple hours. I'm gonna leave the hard top on for a couple days for the comfort factor. Once it warms up and dries out a little I'll pull some of that padding in the rear and check it out.

For shake-can paint jobs, should I wait til we have 70 degree temps? I seem to remember something about paint not setting up right or even not at all if its too cold.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

How nuts is this weather in VA/ mid-atlantic BTW. It was in the 70' yesterday... Snow tonight and tomorrow. High 60' and low 70's again in a few days. Just nuts.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

Mine is mostly painted with a little bit of just primer on the very back.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
Sounds good guys. I'll take a look at it in a week or so and let you guys know. Its gonna snow here in a couple hours. I'm gonna leave the hard top on for a couple days for the comfort factor. Once it warms up and dries out a little I'll pull some of that padding in the rear and check it out.

For shake-can paint jobs, should I wait til we have 70 degree temps? I seem to remember something about paint not setting up right or even not at all if its too cold.
Yes, if you live up north I would definitely suggest waiting till spring. then lightly scour the roll cage and wipe with alcohol or brake cleaner. . . you should be GTG then.

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode