Switching to Mobil 1 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Switching to Mobil 1

I bought my JK in October of 2013 with 32,000 miles on it. I did the carfax thing and my JK was a Florida Jeep its entire life until it went up for auction and my dealer purchased it and brought it to North Dakota, and then I bought it. Since buying this I have read many threads about the 3.8 and Oil consumption, so I have been keeping a close eye on this. Not knowing when the oil was changed last after buying this I put on about 1500 miles and my oil dropped about 3/4 of a quart. I decided to change the oil then and put in the 5w20 recommended in the manual. I have now over a thousand miles on that oil and its only down about 1/4 of a quart. So after having many vehicles in my life I feel the oil is tolerable for that amount of consumption. My question is most of my vehicles have had Mobil one 5w30 in them and I love that oil, especially for the winter months in North Dakota. Have any of you switched from the dyno 5w20 oil to Mobil 1 5w30 and regretted it? My JK now has 35000 miles on it, Switching to a full synthetic oil I don't think would hurt anything. Also going up from the 5w20 to 5w30 might slow or even stop the little bit of oil consumption I do have. What are your thoughts and do you agree or disagree with what I am thinking about doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiez View Post
I bought my JK in October of 2013 with 32,000 miles on it. I did the carfax thing and my JK was a Florida Jeep its entire life until it went up for auction and my dealer purchased it and brought it to North Dakota, and then I bought it. Since buying this I have read many threads about the 3.8 and Oil consumption, so I have been keeping a close eye on this. Not knowing when the oil was changed last after buying this I put on about 1500 miles and my oil dropped about 3/4 of a quart. I decided to change the oil then and put in the 5w20 recommended in the manual. I have now over a thousand miles on that oil and its only down about 1/4 of a quart. So after having many vehicles in my life I feel the oil is tolerable for that amount of consumption. My question is most of my vehicles have had Mobil one 5w30 in them and I love that oil, especially for the winter months in North Dakota. Have any of you switched from the dyno 5w20 oil to Mobil 1 5w30 and regretted it? My JK now has 35000 miles on it, Switching to a full synthetic oil I don't think would hurt anything. Also going up from the 5w20 to 5w30 might slow or even stop the little bit of oil consumption I do have. What are your thoughts and do you agree or disagree with what I am thinking about doing?
I've been running Mobil 1 5w/20 since 6850 miles with no problems, and around 35,000 miles I switched over to Mobil 1 5w/30.
No problems yet at 40k+ miles. Good idea to check or replace your PCV valve if you're having (or suspect) oil consumption.

Far as I know, Mobil 1 is a great oil choice for your 1 gallon V6. It seems to be for mine. Hope this helps you.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2014, 04:50 AM
JKO Addict!

I've ran 5w-30 synthetic in my JK since it was 1000 miles old. I don't burn anything noticeable with 7kish intervals.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks, I did change out the pcv valve back in December to see if that helped, but it was no change. Yesterday I decided to just go with it and changed the oil to Mobil 1 5w30. I have always liked Mobil 1, Hope this helps and it def wont hurt anything by trying.
I have no manufacture warranty and I did not buy an extended warranty when I bought the jeep so its all up to me but I think i'll be just fine.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

'07 JKU 3.8 here with 95k+. I was going through a lot of oil at first (at about 25-30k miles) using 5w-20, switched to 5w-30 and it still consumes some oil, but the oil consumption has slowed dramatically. I've never gone back to the thinner stuff and I have no complaints.

No scientific analysis, but the engine seems to use up less oil when I use conventional dino, it just drinks synthetic (either mobil 1 or castrol).

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-16-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejeep View Post
'07 JKU 3.8 here with 95k+. I was going through a lot of oil at first (at about 25-30k miles) using 5w-20, switched to 5w-30 and it still consumes some oil, but the oil consumption has slowed dramatically. I've never gone back to the thinner stuff and I have no complaints.

No scientific analysis, but the engine seems to use up less oil when I use conventional dino, it just drinks synthetic (either mobil 1 or castrol).
Thanks, I had a 2003 TJ with the 4.0 and I tried mobil 1 in that, it also drank the mobil 1, I switched that back to conventional dino with no problems. I'll give the JK a try and if it drinks it ill just switch back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode