Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer + 1" Puck? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer + 1" Puck?

Okay I have the 3.5" Lite kit on the way and some 36.9x13.1" shoes for my JKUR.

After looking at this guy drag his JK Unlimited guts all over the rocks, I'm wondering how well this kit will work with a 1" puck installed.

He has 34.4" tires on the Metal Cloak game changer 3.5".

Metal Cloak real world off-road #1
Metal Cloak real world off-road #2
Metal Cloak real world off-road #3

The area he is in is a lot like where we wheel, except here there is less room, more rocks, more tress and a lot more water & mud.

Anyone have any advice (beyond "That's what skids are for")?

Are the MCGC arms, brake lines, links, etc long enough for a 1" puck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hmm he went to a 37" tire.

High Dive 3/27/2013 - YouTube

Seems like maybe the bigger tire is enough? I doubt he would have wanted the puck in this case.

choices, choices .... hmmmm
post #3 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
JKO Addict!

I would say go up to about 12" of lift if you are worried about dragging and mb some portal axles.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

Check out the badass Draken 8” lift.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #5 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Granite Guru

Whats your goal? You dont want any scratches on your skids? At some point you trade scratches on your skids for scratches on your roof. Stick with the 3.5 as is or buy a taller tire.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I think picking a good line and making sure you have good skids will make a much bigger difference than a 1" puck. Rocks will always be an inch bigger than your lift.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #7 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 04:03 AM
Granite Guru

You would have no issue putting a 1" puck in with the kit you bought, the brake lines will not be the issue, as you are limited on the down travel by the shock stroke.
You may find that you will need to adjust your Toe on the front tires, as it would cause them to point in just a little bit more, but that should get resolved at the alignment after you do the initial install.

With that in mind, you may want to give up on the concern of getting a scratch on the skids, that's what Mall-Crawlers do. Just saying, Scrathes and Shit Happens. I grew up wheeling at Walker Valley, I know all about it.

Good luck

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandegrift View Post
You would have no issue putting a 1" puck in with the kit you bought, the brake lines will not be the issue, as you are limited on the down travel by the shock stroke.
You may find that you will need to adjust your Toe on the front tires, as it would cause them to point in just a little bit more, but that should get resolved at the alignment after you do the initial install.

With that in mind, you may want to give up on the concern of getting a scratch on the skids, that's what Mall-Crawlers do. Just saying, Scrathes and Shit Happens. I grew up wheeling at Walker Valley, I know all about it.

Good luck
Thanks for the real knowledge!

I'm not worried about scratches on skids. In a weird sick way I like them, I used to trash my skateboards just for scratches when I was a kid lol.

Sounds like you know where I'm going, Walker, Evans, Reiter... 12" lift and 40's & portals get gashes out there too (they also go further, to places I don't have the nads for).

In the first videos though it seemed like that guy was taking the station wagon out. It really looked like if he had just a little bit more, he would have had a much quieter day. In the second video it looked "just" right. Any higher and he would have flopped onto his side, and lower and he would have been bumping off the rocks in a dangerous way.

I'm going to try the 3.5" no puck and 37's first and see how bad I really need a puck. It's easy enough to slap one in later if needed.

Who knows, I could sell MC springs and shocks down the road and put in some coil overs. Then I could adjust height for the trip.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Why would adding a 1" puck to the coils affect the toe in? One has nothing to do with the other.

Adding the puck would increase bump steer, raise the roll center, decrease caster, and increase axle steer.

Tires are for clearance, lifts are for tire clearance. Most people confuse the two.
http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showt...ur-getting-one

Some build info here:

post #10 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Tires are for clearance, lifts are for tire clearance. Most people confuse the two.

Even more people confuse building a suspension (lift) with increasing tire clearance.

Lift alone does not increase tire clearance. Tire clearance is determined by fender, flare, and body clearance at full bump.

Lift/suspension and tire clearance have bump stop length as a common factor but the 2 should be looked at/ built separately.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

True, most people don't know how to set up bumpstops, they just install whatever comes with the kit. If it even comes with bump stops.

Some build info here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode