JKOwners Forum banner

Genright and Metalcloak

19K views 80 replies 37 participants last post by  White13JKUR 
#1 ·
Can someone explain the disgust or indifference to these two companies?

Whenever I see either of these vendors come up, they are blown off or get a large amount of shit talk.
I get that Poison Spyder and Rockrawler are JKO forum favorites. That's fine.

All sites have there "favorites". "cough,Eddie Oh, cough"

I am just curious why these vendors, that I assume pay as much as Jeremy from RK, get so much less respect here. If they all pay the same, what's the problem? Are there tiers?

Serious question. I don't get it.

#2 ·
I've seen Poison Spyder bad-mouthed more than Metal Cloak and I've seen Rock Krawler scrutinized just as much as GenRight.

IMO... They are all great companies and are all VERY involved with JK aftermarket innovation. No company is immune to criticism on here, but all of these guys are at the top of their game and show a good deal of integrity.

Just an opinion.

#3 ·
The way I look at it is everyone has the preferred vendors they want to deal with. I know that a couple of people have Genright parts on their Jeeps and love the products. Likewise a co worker of mine had Metalcloak fenders and really loved them. Really it comes down to personal choices and experiences which are often shared on the forums.

#8 · (Edited)
Its all back door deals with the sites administrators.

Every different JK website has their "preferred stuff" and its real obvious to me....just got to take it all with a grain of salt

Bottom line is if a website/forum isn't actively selling a product....then you are the product :mindblown:

#9 ·
I don't think MetalCloak has done anything wrong, but the way they came in, introducing new suspension tech with their "Gamechanger" suspension was sure to ruffle some feathers. Their parts get good feedback from even the most critical, like cjcraig7, so I think they are good.

GenRight recently removed RCO from its list of approved distributors for reasons I don't remember, so that's one reason.

Poison Spyder has had a lot of QC issues so they should be getting beaten up too.

#10 ·
I don't think MetalCloak has done anything wrong, but the way they came in, introducing new suspension tech with their "Gamechanger" suspension was sure to ruffle some feathers. Their parts get good feedback from even the most critical, like cjcraig7, so I think they are good.

GenRight recently removed RCO from its list of approved distributors for reasons I don't remember, so that's one reason.

Poison Spyder has had a lot of QC issues so they should be getting beaten up too.
They felt that Marcus was pushing other companies stuff over theirs...

:nono-1: Now I'm taking my ball and going home. :bawling:

#11 ·
I have no clue about Genright, but Metal Cloak is the shit. I've been around JK's for 5 years and have a pretty good understanding based on reading thread after thread of feedback. I was dead set on going Rock Krawler because they are a solid company, stand behind their product, and have a good rep. When I got my '14, I was deciding on which RK lift and then started noticing Metal Cloak lifts and investigated.

After careful consideration, I went with Metal Cloak. The quality of the lift components is first rate and the guys at MC are great to work with. I'm not discounting Rock Krawler at all and probably would have been just as happy with their lift. But I liked MC's Duroflex joints and the dual rate springs.

The reality of driving my MC'd JK lives up to the hype. Great ride, retains height after armor, and performs off-road.

As a matter of fact, I haven't read one thread of someone slamming MC. If people are doing that, they certainly don't own one of their lifts.

#13 ·
Interesting.

Marcus can sell GenRight products. He and I speak on a semi-regulalr basis and I know he speaks to the folks back on our sales desk. That earlier stink was before my time but Marcus, myself and GenRight are all good now.

The swag thing is one person (really one forum) who held onto a joke too long.

If anyone has a question, comment or concern about GenRight or our products they are more than welcome to message me. You'll also see us at most events so look for the yellow GenRight Jeeps and/or look for our President, Tony Pellegrino. He'll be wearing a yellow GenRight hat and I'm sure he'd love to hear any feedback you'd like to share with him.

#21 ·
As we see it everyone has an opinion and they're not always the same. Sure there is a lot of people that tend to like one specific brand better then another and they try to get others to like their favorite brands too. But that is what keeps everyones wheels turning! We like to think of it as the drive that keeps us motivated to design new innovative products and improve upon ourselves in anyway that we can.

RK

#24 ·
1. JK-Forum and the dis service they did to the JK community by not even allowing you to mention a company that did not pay to advertise on the site, this is why you see so many people running teraflex and rock krawler. I am not saying anthing bad about those companies but when people get on a forum and ask about lifts and you are given only 3 or 4 choices, that is what people are going to choose.

2. Rock Krawler, teraflex, OME, Rough Country were fast to the market with their products. Companies like Genright, Clayton, and Metal Cloak were a bit late and the other companies had lots of fanboys out there touting their lifts.

3. Ignorance, people just don't understand suspensions and steering design and how making changes affect the performance. People see the word "flex" in a component and think they are getting more articulation.

4. Cost, hooking people in with a low priced incomplete kit, and telling them that the kit is "upgradeable" and they can build it up over time. While this is true for the campanies that do it, in fact all suspension kits are upgradeable. This falls back to the ignorance of the consumer.

5. People need a company to champion, like a sports team or political affiliation. They will champion "their" company to justify their purchase.

#29 ·
It sounds like you're referring to Rock Krawler here. Are you saying people are ignorant because they buy a product that they know is adequate, fits their budget and may work fine for what they do wih their JK and can be easily upgraded with components from the same company designed to work together if they have the need?

Some people may need a company to "champion", but I don't believe that's true of most people here. I have components from many different companies on my JK. I know what works and what's quality and what doesn't and isn't and I let people know what those are IMO. I have also had really good support from some manufacture's and vendors here and not from others. It has nothing to do with being a "fan boy", but speaking from personal experience.

#25 ·
The amount of money you pay to be a vendor has no bearing on the respect you get. Here its only about the reputation you have and the product you make.

Eddie's site was different as your money bought you respect and censorship in case anyone spoke badly about you. That is not what happens here.

Its all back door deals with the sites administrators.

Every different JK website has their "preferred stuff" and its real obvious to me....just got to take it all with a grain of salt

Bottom line is if a website/forum isn't actively selling a product....then you are the product :mindblown:
What the hell are you talking about??? There is no censorship here by moderators. You are free to boast or rag on any product you want. Just be prepared to defend your stance.

Also I think you have your business model a little confused. Membership count is always the main product for a forum as the majority of revenue comes from ads and to attract vendors to want to pay for that advertising takes high traffic numbers.

#26 ·
This was my PM to you, as you can see it was no joke.:(

Swag
Larsen & Risley
c/o Richard (Lika) Larsen
3200 Park Center Drive, Suite 720
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

I like hats, or a xxl shirt, my stickers always get thrashed.
Kind regards,

p.s. small stickers for the 1/4 panels would be fine.

#42 ·
Nemesis turned out to be another great Colorado Crash along with HD Customs and Red Rock - companies that could engineer and manufacture top quality stuff but couldn't business-sense their way out of a lemonade stand. For shame, too, I like supporting the local boys. I still have Rokmen and M.O.R.E though....

I speak for only myself when I say I don't need anyone to champion. I just relay my experiences good and bad with anyone's stuff. Hence the reason you'll see me pimp RK and RC in the same breath, depending on what it is being discussed.

We'll see on GenRight. I like their stuff and have a few of their things on the build sheet. One of those things is a winch plate, and I've heard that when a couple of cats tried to buy the winch plate they were told to **** themselves. And damn, if someone offers you nearly free advertising I hear its a good idea to go for it. There's a lot more people like me that won't give anyone free advertising on their vehicle, only through word of mouth and forums. I know if someone wanted $2 worth of stickers to advertise my hairy ass on their car, they wouldn't have to ask twice.

#49 ·
We'll see on GenRight. I like their stuff and have a few of their things on the build sheet. One of those things is a winch plate, and I've heard that when a couple of cats tried to buy the winch plate they were told to **** themselves.

Ummm, yeah....

GR Winch Tray

Corrected I stand. That's what I get for listening to a couple posters here who swore they PM'd GR and were told they couldn't get the winch plate by itself. I don't know who is dumber - them for not looking themselves or me for believing them. :nono:

#43 ·
Personally, Ill run what ever company offers me the best deal on shit, and has the best customer service, minus RC. Two people I know have had or have their stuff and have sagging issues. I like the idea of a company coming in late to the party. Its kinda like the hot girl making sure she looks her best but not over the top. Watch the competition, see what does and does not work, and then build your own and make it better. I am running 4dr stock springs on my 2dr as I cant make up my mind between RK and MC. I do know I would like the GR tire carrier, but cant afford it yet. Same with a rear bumper, so many choices, so hard to choose, so many good and bad things about every one out there. I make choices based on price and functionality. Front bumper is a home built that has been modified to fit my needs as no one had what I wanted for the front. I can handle waiting, my 2dr wont be going any where any time soon.

Not to leave out, a good debate is always fun to watch, and see what companies names get tossed into the fire and see who responds and who doesn't.

#44 ·
Sorry you didnt get your swag but I technically had nothing to do with that swag promise.

If you are at EJS, I can give you my Nemesis hat if you want. Very slightly used.
It was merely the principle of the situation, and that wasn't related to you directly. I, in no way, blame you in any way, shape, or form.

To be honest, the Totl hood has grown on me and I kind of like it, even if i'd still feel like Dominic Torreto sporting one. :D

I have MFG stickers on my Jeep, inside the tailgate. The only sticker I have on the outside is Minion Dave, cause it makes me laugh every time I see it.

MetalCloak has the stuff I want. I actually had a dream I got a full set of their arms once. I woke up very excited until I realized I was dreaming. They are shooting themselves in the foot by making it impossible to sell their product without being an install shop, though.

#46 ·
It was merely the principle of the situation, and that wasn't related to you directly. I, in no way, blame you in any way, shape, or form.

To be honest, the Totl hood has grown on me and I kind of like it, even if i'd still feel like Dominic Torreto sporting one. :D
:beer:

Dont act like you dont drive around with one hand on the steering wheel in sleeve-less shirts giving other JKs the look :garfield:

#45 ·
Can someone explain the disgust or indifference to these two companies?

Whenever I see either of these vendors come up, they are blown off or get a large amount of shit talk. .
Have to chime in that I have not noticed either company being bashed more than others. And think comments on Metalcloak tend to be very positive. Not sure why you feel the Forum is biased against them, unless recently there has coincidentally been a bunch of negative threads I haven't read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.