How to fill the void where a winch should be - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How to fill the void where a winch should be

Alright, so some very thoughtful person decided to back into me in the parking garage today, and my newly modded stock front bumper has a great dent in it. The guy didn't want to go through insurance and agreed to just give me $400 cash... can you say trail bumper time?!

I looking at the Smittybuilt SRC bumper with winch mount, but I won't be getting a winch just yet (just convinced the wife to let me get skids and a CB to join a local 4x4 club, so an extra $3-500 is out of the question). So there lies my problem - what can I do to cover that big hole where the winch should be... just something temporary (a year or so) that will give it a more finished look.

Any thoughts?

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Put a sticker there that says "Coming Soon" and leave it alone.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Put a sticker there that says "Coming Soon" and leave it alone.
this

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Random Dude

You could trim a piece of aluminum plate and bolt it over the front of the hole using the winch mount holes.
Suggest hitting the plate with some etching primer and rattle-can bedliner unless you're into bling.

If you want mad redneck street cred., duct tape is always and option . . . yee-haw!

EDIT: I was only thinking about the front of the bumper, not the gaping bay where the winch lives.
Maybe a box full of puppies? Everyone loves puppies!

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 03-13-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Granite Guru

Unless your wife is looking at the empty spot as a place to put a planter (don't ask), why bother?
Leaving the big empty hole will inspire you to save up for a winch.

Or, like me, it's a great place to push all the snow you brush off your hood.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Find a tool box that fits and bolt it in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Get a shitty/dead winch and slap it in there till you get a good one.

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
Get a shitty/dead winch and slap it in there till you get a good one.
Didn't you read the OP? He can't afford $300-$500 for a Smittybilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post

What you did there I see it

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 08:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
That's not the worst idea i've heard. Could make a good storage space for bungies and inexpesive tools/tie down.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #11 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Cardboard cut out of a winch?

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #12 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Granite Guru

Severed head and assorted body parts.
post #13 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Granite Guru

The empty space isn't that big of a deal. I ran my JCR stubby without a winch for a few months and just ziptied a license plate (beach permit) to the fairlead mount. If you mount a pair of lights to your bumper, it'll use up the empty visual space a little. Or... just not worry about it.

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
post #14 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 02:53 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
[COLOR="Lime"]You could trim a piece of aluminum plate and bolt it over the front of the hole using the winch mount holes.
Suggest hitting the plate with some etching primer and rattle-can bedliner unless you're into bling.

If you want mad redneck street cred., duct tape is always and option . . . yee-haw![/COLOR]

EDIT: I was only thinking about the front of the bumper, not the gaping bay where the winch lives.
Maybe a box full of puppies? Everyone loves puppies!
Round these parts the Red Necks put their most recent kills there. A guy ran around with a mallard hanging from his winch line until it rotted and fell off, another had a deer head bungied to his front bumper all winter.

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea, but what's he gonna do with all that stuff when he gets a winch?

Quote:

OK FUCKMOUTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #15 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 03:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Get a cardboard tube from a used roll of paper towels, wrap some string on it and shove it in there. If you want to get extra credit, paint the ends to match your favorite winch brand

post #16 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The toolbox answer is the closest to a real solution, so that's winning for now, lol. I just wasn't sure if anyone manufactures a plate to cover the huge hole in the top of the bumper... maybe I'll make a trip to the local machine shop and see if they can cut some plate steel for me. Maybe I can build in a storage box for some recovery straps.

Thanks for the ideas folks!

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #17 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 08:19 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

How about a Costco size box of tampons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochepaille View Post
The toolbox answer is the closest to a real solution, so that's winning for now, lol. I just wasn't sure if anyone manufactures a plate to cover the huge hole in the top of the bumper... maybe I'll make a trip to the local machine shop and see if they can cut some plate steel for me. Maybe I can build in a storage box for some recovery straps.

Thanks for the ideas folks!
I wouldn't do that... Up to you. I guess it might depend on where you live... rural/ city/ high crime area/ low crime/ garage kept/ open parking/ etc.

Potential theft and damage to your bumper in the process. Is the toolbox going to be 100% water-tight? How badly damaged tools might get or how dry-rotted/ moldy the tow straps get when subjected to moisture would be a concern if it was me. If the box isn't waterproof then consider the hassle of removing the stuff and drying it out. Even with drain-holes there will still be a potential for moisture in the bottom. If the box is metal it's going to rust around the hinges and latches and if it's plastic then UV damage will be a possible issue as well.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #19 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Rock God

Do you have a cat? I feel like like a cat carrier would fit up there pretty good.

post #20 of 24 Old 03-14-2014, 01:08 AM
Granite Guru

Get a winch cover and cover a box the size if a winch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #21 of 24 Old 03-14-2014, 01:13 AM
JKO Addict!

These are pretty cheap.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I was planning on using an old AL kickplate, some brackets, and spray paint. $0 for me, but even new parts from it's a workable cover for like $10. AL is soft and thin enough to use a handsaw.

2013 PBU JKU-S, 37x12.50R17 KO2s, Fuel D552, RE: 3.5progressive+hydrbumps+disconnects TF:TB-DL-TR+Long arms+LCAskids+FoxResi+tailgate, grade 9 bolts, 10th hood, NemInd fenders, RSE Al rear, TNT stubby + sliders, ORH top, KCGravityPros, JWS taillight, Riddle cover 4.56 eaton elocker, sleeves + chromolys, DT BJs, Mopar + DT brakes
post #23 of 24 Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I wouldn't do that... Up to you. I guess it might depend on where you live... rural/ city/ high crime area/ low crime/ garage kept/ open parking/ etc.

Potential theft and damage to your bumper in the process. Is the toolbox going to be 100% water-tight? How badly damaged tools might get or how dry-rotted/ moldy the tow straps get when subjected to moisture would be a concern if it was me. If the box isn't waterproof then consider the hassle of removing the stuff and drying it out. Even with drain-holes there will still be a potential for moisture in the bottom. If the box is metal it's going to rust around the hinges and latches and if it's plastic then UV damage will be a possible issue as well.
Yeah, I thought of that. I'm not in a high crime area that much, and I would only keep recovery straps and gloves in there, but I don't think I could make it water tight that easily. I think that if I go with that bumper, I'll just see if someone can fab a plate to cover the gap for me. Now I'm leaning toward a RockHard stubby bumper, though, lol.

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
post #24 of 24 Old 03-15-2014, 05:09 AM
Granite Guru

Leave it void, and remind the wifey ALL THE TIME, just how alloying it is to look at a bumper without a winch, and continually make the comment, "If I only had a winch, my Jeep would look complete again."

It works, trust me, I read it on the internet.

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode