Bestop soft doors vs Rugged Ridge Half Doors - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bestop soft doors vs Rugged Ridge Half Doors

I am considering half doors for my new 2014 4 door for spring/summer use.

My goal is to have ease of having a more open feel than just the top down relatively easily and to be able to easily make my jeep water proof during rain quickly. The weather in MA changes quite frequently as anyone up here knows, so I do not usually feel like going door-less without the possibility of covering up. I also don't have an easy place to store my doors for easy access to put back on due to the fact that I live in a condo (though I could easily store them for a few months time).

I'm debating between the bestop soft doors and the rugged ridge half doors with soft tops. The cost of them is obviously very different ($800-$900 vs $2000+ if bought new), but I am looking for comments from anyone who has owned both or either one...

Bestop:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11144_135_07.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11144_235_07.htm

Rugged Ridge:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55011_5000_07.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55011_5115_07.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55011_5001_07.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55011_5015_07.htm

"The sheep are happier of themselves, than under the care of wolves."

Last edited by Gibsonfirebird12; 03-11-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm debating the same thing for my '14 2D Rubicon. I just want doors that will keep the rain out like on a CJ. I love the full doors for daily driving but I sure do miss the half doors I had on my '09 Rubicon when the top is down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hopefully someone will respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Rock God

I purchased the R Ridge doors 2 years ago. I liked the idea of them, but did not like them. The are a steel frame inside of a sealed plastic shell. Had issues with the latch system but couldn't fix it because there is no way to open the plastic shell. Sold them a few months later, had to help warranty one door for the guy that bought them. They are fairly heavy, not a bad thing. Felt very solid, and when latches worked, very firm.

I have yet to replace them, but plan to just purchase Bestop soft doors this year. Their a nice light weight door that I can just throw in the back when not using. Don't take up too much space. These get my vote.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
I purchased the R Ridge doors 2 years ago. I liked the idea of them, but did not like them. The are a steel frame inside of a sealed plastic shell. Had issues with the latch system but couldn't fix it because there is no way to open the plastic shell. Sold them a few months later, had to help warranty one door for the guy that bought them. They are fairly heavy, not a bad thing. Felt very solid, and when latches worked, very firm.

I have yet to replace them, but plan to just purchase Bestop soft doors this year. Their a nice light weight door that I can just throw in the back when not using. Don't take up too much space. These get my vote.
Thanks for the comments. I hadn't heard much about the RR doors, but a lot about the Bestop doors, so it was good to get some info about these. I am worried about leaking on the Bestop, though a little leaking here and there wouldn't bother me.

post #6 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Rock God

I bought the Rugged Ridge half doors on all the forum hype that was created in 2011. They are poorly made. The latch system sucks. They sent me a new set of fronts on Warranty because the passenger door wouldn't latch without pissing around with it. The new ones arn't much better but I would trust a child to close them. I would recomend seeing and trying a set first, from someone you know not a vendor. As much as I want to like them I don't. Half doors are awesome, these arn't. This is the first and last Rugged Ridge product I will ever buy. I'll give thier rep credit as he was good to deal with, but he's still selling Junk. As someone once said Rugged Ridge is the Walmart of Jeep parts.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post

How did the Bestop doors keep the water out?

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #8 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
How did the Bestop doors keep the water out?
Unfortunately looks like he hasn't purchased them yet. Anyone actually have these, and can you attest to how they hold water out? Again, I know these aren't marketed to keep water completely out, but how will it hold up in a storm?

post #9 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
I bought the Rugged Ridge half doors on all the forum hype....
Yep, me too. Was going to be so harsh, but all that you say is right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonfirebird12 View Post
Unfortunately looks like he hasn't purchased them yet. Anyone actually have these, and can you attest to how they hold water out? Again, I know these aren't marketed to keep water completely out, but how will it hold up in a storm?
Correct, have not done it yet. But I can say that I know guys that have them, and they are happy with them. No they aren't perfect, uppers will flap at highway speed. Bungie cord at top corners helps that. The R Ridge doors use the same uppers, and they suffer the same problems too, at least mine did.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Granite Guru

I've read that so long as you spend the time to get the bestop soft doors fitted right they should be good with water.

I live in a condo as well, so its a hassle to walk the doors all the way from the lot to my apartment. bought the soft doors so I can put them on when i want and throw them in the back when I don't want them on this summer. Just waiting for it to be consistently warm ha.

I hear you about the weather in MA, I live in CT. Its just about 60 right now, the forecast for thursday is sub 20 and snow.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Fucking Rugged Ridge - do they make anything that isn't complete shit?

, Granite,
post #12 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 PM
JKO Addict!

One of those quick emergency tops won't do the trick? I've driven in rain many times doorless and hardly anything gets in the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #13 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Rock God

The bestop soft doors will not keep water out so if you like your carpet / still have carpet they aren't for you. They are also extremely noisy on the highway with the windows up. All that being said I like them, had them for the last 4 years. Run them at least 6 months of the year. Love the versatility of them as I run them in half door mode pretty much all summer weather permitting. They are lightweight and you don't have to worry about scratching them which is a huge plus.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #14 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Granite Guru

I also run the soft doors most of the summer. They are very noisy at anything over 40mph. I do the bungee cord thing too, but the lower door skin flapping against the metal frame is pretty loud. They are not very good at keeping out the rain either. I would love to get the oem hard half doors, but they are too pricey. That's my .02
post #15 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Fucking Rugged Ridge - do they make anything that isn't complete shit?
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
One of those quick emergency tops won't do the trick? I've driven in rain many times doorless and hardly anything gets in the sides.
I've thought about that too, but there are times when I want to take a trip or just want to have coverage over the doors (say, I'm in work clothes, probably the most important reason) and want to keep the majority of the elements out. And as I said in my original post, and another member echo'ed, moving hard doors in a condo/apartment is a job and a half. It's not just take them off in your garage and hang them, it's take them off, carry them somewhere that's hard to get to, rinse repeat 4x while attempting to not scratch them. I did it with my previous 2 door once last summer and hated it, so that's why I came up with this idea in the first place. I may still get an emergency top though even for use with the soft doors, so that if I leave my jeep out overnight and it rains, I don't have to worry about it leaking through the soft doors. Appreciate the suggestion. Obviously a much cheaper option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8417 View Post
I hear you about the weather in MA, I live in CT. Its just about 60 right now, the forecast for thursday is sub 20 and snow.
Had the top down today. Was getting weird looks! Hit 57 in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrJK View Post
The bestop soft doors will not keep water out so if you like your carpet / still have carpet they aren't for you. They are also extremely noisy on the highway with the windows up. All that being said I like them, had them for the last 4 years. Run them at least 6 months of the year. Love the versatility of them as I run them in half door mode pretty much all summer weather permitting. They are lightweight and you don't have to worry about scratching them which is a huge plus.
I'm considering bedliner, bedtred, bedrug or possibly just pulling the carpets. Suggestions?

Thanks for all responses!
post #16 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 AM
Rock God

Quote:

I'm considering bedliner, bedtred, bedrug or possibly just pulling the carpets. Suggestions?

Bedliner or bedtred would be they way I'd go. I'm running something similar to bedtred, mopar's rubber floor liner.

post #17 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 04:14 AM
Granite Guru

Anyone have any info on the SFZ half doors and uppers? Was holding out for these but I might just go besttop

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #18 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrJK View Post
Bedliner or bedtred would be they way I'd go. I'm running something similar to bedtred, mopar's rubber floor liner.
That's pretty sweet. Do you ever feel like water gets stuck under it? That would be my concern.

post #19 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
That's pretty sweet. Do you ever feel like water gets stuck under it? That would be my concern.
I leave the drain plugs out the whole time I have the soft doors on so it all flows out eventually. Nice thing is if it gets dirty you can yank the liner out and clean it with a hose and a scrub brush and then it looks good as new.

If you are looking to go this route I feel the bedtred will be a better option. Seem to be thicker and fit better than the mopar liner.

post #20 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Wheeler

LOUD!!!!

That pretty much sums the soft doors...When I got mine I pretty much knew what I was getting into

I like them...my wife and 2 year old HATE them

And as far as leaks...It definitely takes a few weeks of adjusting, bending, tucking in weatherstripping, etc before they are about 95% leak free...there were a few days when I first got them...I came out of work to find 3"+ of water on the floor of my Jeep...luckily I pulled out my carpet a long time ago

2010 JKUR, TF 2.5", 35" MTZs, 5.38s

Last edited by Loonies; 03-12-2014 at 05:07 PM.
post #21 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
LOL!

I've thought about that too, but there are times when I want to take a trip or just want to have coverage over the doors (say, I'm in work clothes, probably the most important reason) and want to keep the majority of the elements out. And as I said in my original post, and another member echo'ed, moving hard doors in a condo/apartment is a job and a half. It's not just take them off in your garage and hang them, it's take them off, carry them somewhere that's hard to get to, rinse repeat 4x while attempting to not scratch them. I did it with my previous 2 door once last summer and hated it, so that's why I came up with this idea in the first place. I may still get an emergency top though even for use with the soft doors, so that if I leave my jeep out overnight and it rains, I don't have to worry about it leaking through the soft doors. Appreciate the suggestion. Obviously a much cheaper option.

Had the top down today. Was getting weird looks! Hit 57 in my area.

Just pull your carpet. Bedline if you want to, but I haven't in the 3 years I've been running w/o carpet. No scratches or rust to speak of on my metal floor. Only drawback is the floor gets a little toasty in the summer on longer drives.

I'm ordering the Bestop soft doors in a week or two and plan to run them all summer. Specifically, I want the ability to go doorless but be able to throw on doors quickly for weather changes. I have a garage, but if I didn't I would use my Bestop trail cover when parked overnight.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDDO View Post
Just pull your carpet. Bedline if you want to, but I haven't in the 3 years I've been running w/o carpet. No scratches or rust to speak of on my metal floor. Only drawback is the floor gets a little toasty in the summer on longer drives.

I'm ordering the Bestop soft doors in a week or two and plan to run them all summer. Specifically, I want the ability to go doorless but be able to throw on doors quickly for weather changes. I have a garage, but if I didn't I would use my Bestop trail cover when parked overnight.
Where are you located? I am quite worried about scratching/rust.

post #23 of 24 Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Where are you located? I am quite worried about scratching/rust.
I'm in MD, so we do get rain, snow, etc. The floor is fully painted at the factory and I use thick rubber floor mats and a cargo mat in the back.
post #24 of 24 Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDDO View Post
I'm in MD, so we do get rain, snow, etc. The floor is fully painted at the factory and I use thick rubber floor mats and a cargo mat in the back.
Cool, thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards running Bestop trail cover, bedrug through the jeep, and bestop soft doors. Good to know there's no rust.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode