Hardware loosens after how much wheeling? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hardware loosens after how much wheeling?

So I just got back from a wheeling trip to Golden Mountain up in TN. Before I left I had my "500 mile after install" check done on everything. On my way back from the trip though, my left front caliper bolts decided to back their way out. I had been driving down the highway for about 2 hours and was just coming off the exit ramp when I hit the brakes. The caliper pivoted around the one bolt that was loosely still in the hole, and wedged itself between the wheel and rotor. This locked up the front left brake and drug me into the grass. 3 hours later I was finally able to get someone to bring me the extra bolt I had in my office to get it home. Do I really need to re-tighten all the bolts before hitting the road after a grand total of a day and a half of wheeling? I didn't see any of the 30+ other Jeeps that were with me retorquing anything before they left. Everyone just performed a visual check. I now have an 8 piston front caliper and wheel that is chewed to pieces....

Here is a pic of what I saw after it locked up.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Those are usually loctited by the factory on most applications and are torqued to eleventy foot-pounds.

I don't to religious bolt-checks, but I'd certainly be using loctite on those bolts and paint marking may be something worth doing for you. That way you can "check" a lot of things at a quick glance, not completely fool-proof, but better than nothing.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 06:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation View Post
Actually I halted myself from responding to this thread.. but I was going to suggest the lesser loctite.. (Blue) and not the perm stuff (Red).. Painting the bolt heads is a good way to keep things in check.. and I guess it's good to get into a routine/habit of doing a walk around.

I haven't have had trouble loosening a bolt [or pinion] with "omg you need fire to remove it, Red Loctite". I hear it all the time, but it'll certainly turn loose, at least in my experience. Those fasteners usually get removed around here using a 20" 1/2" ratchet, or a 1/2" impact, no issues.

But blue will likely get it done as well. The constant thermal cycling those bolts see make me run loctite for sure.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 06:24 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I had a front brake caliper bolt disappear on me last year. The dealer told me that they have seen a lot of them ordered here in Tucson. I blue loctited all of them and torqued them down. Not a single one has moved.

You never know what can happen when you wheel. Whether it be a hard core rock crawling trail or a simple drive down a dirt road. It is always wise advice while you are airing up to take a quick look under the vehicle for missing or loose things. Four months ago while airing up I found my track bar bracket cracked in half. That would have been bad to let go at 70 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

Blue locktite on the calipers for sure ... I've had the front and rear factory calipers come loose at about 20k ... Aluminum to steel heat cycling + vibration will cause it
post #6 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Rock God

i blue loctite and torque anything i touch and green loctite anything i havent touched. I also paint marked a lot of the bolts

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #7 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Matt
the bottom line on those brake caliper bolts is that they weren't torqued properly. I wheeled the same as you all weekend and mine didn't fall off. I had a rear fall out on me after someone worked on my rear axle years ago, my biggest mistake was letting someone else do the work. Since then I use a paint pen to mark most of my bolts after I torque them so I can get a visual.

The front brake caliper bolts get torqued to 120 ft/lbs. I use blue loctite on them as well.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 11:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

120 lb/ft of torque is a LOT of torque.

I want to know what shop worked on y'alls rigs so I can stay away.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I am not going to bring up the shop name because hopefully they will make things right and not argue that its a custom offroad jeep and things may vibrate loose.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

I use red loctite on those for sure and torque them to 120 every time. Like Goody said I've never had issues removing them after putting the red stuff on. I usually only use the blue for smaller hardware that I might be worried about breaking.

If it's something that could kill me if it falls off it gets the red stuff and proper torque every time.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode