I was dropping my brother off and I saw it - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I was dropping my brother off and I saw it

I am not a car guy. I am looking for advice as to whether or not this is a good deal. By that I mean I am not getting raked over the coals I wouldn't expect this to be a steal.

I have long enjoyed the look of the wrangler and am in a financial position to buy what I want (within reason of course)

Here is the dealer listing http://www.champaignchryslerdodgejee...49265b2187.htm

They've also listed it on CL here so I know I can ask them to lower at least two thousand lol http://chambana.craigslist.org/ctd/4350011964.html

Aparently it was a local guy that traded it in and I can get specifics of what he modified. Again I am not a car guy the sales associate went into a little detail but it was at the end of my day.

I REALLY appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 07:24 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Not bad if you can look past the horrible stick on hood vents, chrome grille inserts, and bumpers. Basically bring a couple of feet of fishing line (to remove the hood vents) and a socket set to remove those items and leave them behind after the dealer discounts you a 1000.00 dollars for those items...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Not bad if you can look past the horrible stick on hood vents, chrome grille inserts, and bumpers. Basically bring a couple of feet of fishing line (to remove the hood vents) and a socket set to remove those items and leave them behind after the dealer discounts you a 1000.00 dollars for those items...
Thanks JKCTAZ

Aesthetics aside (I now feel like douche for these items drawing my attention are they really THAT bad haha) just testing the price waters.

I suppose I'll have to puruse the classifieds here for viable replacements.

I just wanted to know how fairly they priced the vehicle and see what bargaining chips I may have. Thanks again sir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

It looks to have some work done on it drivetrain wise, it would be a good start to a very capable trail rig. The chrome isn't super popular with this group, but hey, if you like it who cares what I or anyone else thinks. Price is a little high considering you can get this by me for 2K more without haggling...

http://www.larrymillerchryslerjeepav...3a383a202b.htm

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comparison I'll see how much i can talk them down.

I had planned to paint it black and was wondering how hard it would be to powder coat the existing parts.

I guy I used to work with swore by wranglers they look really fun I have a feeling I'll end up striking a deal with these guys. My magnum has 91000 miles and I want to do something before it hits 100 000
post #6 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 07:55 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzz View Post
Thanks for the comparison I'll see how much i can talk them down.

I had planned to paint it black and was wondering how hard it would be to powder coat the existing parts.

I guy I used to work with swore by wranglers they look really fun I have a feeling I'll end up striking a deal with these guys. My magnum has 91000 miles and I want to do something before it hits 100 000
We swear by Wranglers here, too! I usually just swear... The bumpers could be coated, but if you like them, why bother? Wheel the crap out of it and let the haters see their own reflections in that rear tube bumper.

Quote:
post #7 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
We swear by Wranglers here, too! I usually just swear... The bumpers could be coated, but if you like them, why bother? Wheel the crap out of it and let the haters see their own reflections in that rear tube bumper.
I am a fan of the 'murdered' out look. Would like the black on black.

I want to see if I can get in contact with the previous owner and get the specifics of what he did.

Aparently some work to the engine/exhaust was done... I'll post back here once I have the information.

I like the idea of these retaining such great residual value.

Cheers

Again I really appreciate your time.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzz View Post

I like the idea of these retaining such great residual value.
Buying used, you pay for that value. Buying new, you own that value.

JKCTAZ linked a hell of a deal. Place a special order on a 2014, it will be just as good of a deal and you get what YOU want.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Granite Guru

You would be way better off buying new Imo. It's a bottom of the line 09, not even a center console lol. You already said your not a "car guy" so you don't know what your getting into with the lift or if it wa done right. Cl ad said it is rc, not the best lift to begin with.

2011 Rubicon-2 door- 35" Trail Grappler-2.5" tera flex-Stubby Schrockworks-20" led bar
post #10 of 23 Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89 View Post
You would be way better off buying new Imo. It's a bottom of the line 09, not even a center console lol. You already said your not a "car guy" so you don't know what your getting into with the lift or if it wa done right. Cl ad said it is rc, not the best lift to begin with.
THIS!

I think that price is outrageous unless it's got the best quality list and components.

Buy new or slightly used (stock), stick around here for a bit and crawl through some threads and learn about JK Wranglers. Then make a decision on exactly what you want and how you want it to look. Don't start with someone else's mistake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #11 of 23 Old 03-11-2014, 06:20 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

For an 09 at that price you better be getting a better lift and probably a rubicon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 23 Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Rock God

Fuck that shit. If you want the murdered out look, don't jump the gun and buy this overpriced yuppie pig. 1st you don't know what was done or if it was done correctly, 2 that fucker must have the fountain of youth in it for that price, 3, you don't like that look so find one closer to your liking, and finally it's has a baby spare tire on it. Move on and Thank us later when you find the one you really want.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #13 of 23 Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Rock God

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ctd/4363061369.html

This one could have more potential for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #14 of 23 Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

What an awesome forum.

I really appreciate all the feedback. I went by the dealership today and they were all ready to write me up at the 24K (of course).

While I am not a car guy I don't make emotional decisions and I typically do my own due diligence before I make any decision.

I am going to do my reading on here to see if I can form a better understanding of what I'm looking for.

Ultimately I think one of these would be so much fun to own but this is a want for me and not a need so I'll try to find a better deal or at least get more bang for my buck.

Truly I appreciate all of the feedback from you guys here: it has been well received.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89 View Post
It's a bottom of the line 09, not even a center console lol.
I thought they all had them except for a few early 07s. Definitely a BASE model.

And I've got $100 on this thing having death wobble!

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Rock God

How about starting with the basics. Take it for a test drive. It has about 4" more lift than it needs to clear those tires, so with that much lift it may not drive all that well. See if it wanders all over the road from not having enough castor. See if it has driveline vibrations, and that means you're going to have to get it on the interstate and drive it at 75 to 80 mph for a few minutes. See if it has death wobble. Hit a few potholes or man hole covers to see if you can cause a death wobble. Has the prior owner regeared the axles, or is he trying to turn those tires with 3.21 gears and that gutless wonder of a 3.8 engine under the hood.

Then, after you've determined it is mechanically sound, and not a total pig to drive, then start to talk price.

And finally, if you want a black Jeep, buy a black Jeep. Don't buy a white Jeep with the intent of painting it black. Changing the color on a vehicle is expensive.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 03-12-2014 at 08:51 AM.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Granite Guru

A key factor to me is that you can buy new or nearly new for close to the price and know what you have, as has been said. But the real clincher is getting into a 2012 or newer buys you the 3.6 engine at 285 HP. The new Sport that was linked to at 27K+ will take you plenty of places, even some you may not want to go.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #18 of 23 Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Chrome is for fishing lures, Harley's and picking up teeny boppers at the mall.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #19 of 23 Old 03-12-2014, 02:31 PM

Yuck, pass. That price is too high considering you're going to have to change all the aesthetics. I'd ditch all the chrome, especially the bumpers, and I'd ditch the wheels. At that point you might as well just buy a stock 2013 from the dealer and start fresh. $26k for an older, uglier Jeep like this is NUTS. That price can get you a lot more elsewhere.

My opinion obviously, but that just looks wrong. White Jeeps are some of the best looking Jeeps out there and this is still ugly.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

I think I need to go up there when I get ready to sell my 09. If they are asking that much with all the cheap catalog crap on it I can only imagine what mine would bring with its top shelf parts.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Wheeler

If it has stock gearing you can plan on a couple of thousand dollars right there to turn those tires
post #22 of 23 Old 03-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Wheeler

Too much money....I like the idea of getting a newer one (2013?) and doing what you really want to it...
like this: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...65051330&Log=0
post #23 of 23 Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't walk away from this deal..... RUN like the wind

too much $$$

too much tube bumpers

too much lift

Don't think I've ever seen a JK without a center console, Doesn't even have the good radio or subwoofer.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode