DIY Security Deck - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
DIY Security Deck

List of materials:

$27 - 4x8 sheet of 1/2" MDF (or whatever material you want to use)
$26 - 24" Airline Track Style Logistic Track - Black (2)
$20 - L-Track Rings
$20 - HD Gate Latches (2)
$20 - Misc Hardware
$30 - Simple backpacks. I got 3 of these in black
$20 - Cargo Utility Mat
$6 - Weather Stripping (for the back edge)
$4 - 1/4" Turn Buckles

I use 1/2 MDF for 2 reasons. I had a sheet in the basement and the track was 1/2 high. I wanted to track to be recessed on the deck. I used 1/4-20x3/4" flat phillips head screws and t-nuts to secure the tracks.

Overall deck measurement is 43" wide by 34" deep.

Hopefully you can see how it's made from the pictures. I just kind of winged the design it as I went. I probably put the most thought into how I was going to secure it to make sure it couldn't be lift up. I decided on gate latches in the back because it makes for quick removal and it doesn't leave behind any hardware bolts to the jeep. In the front, I used a 1/4-20 turnbuckle and removed the eye bolt and put in a 2" all thread 1/4-20 bolt. It was kind of tight for me to reach back there to turn them tight, but it works.

You can see that I relocated the factory sub woofer. I traded a forum member (Levi_Cope) for his non-sub woofer panels because he was looking for a factory sub enclosure. Worked out great or both of us.

Overall about $175 to build it. I had a lot of the stuff laying around so I don't have that much in it. Sure as hell beats the $645+ one that one of the forum vendors sells. The entire unit weighs about as much as the rear set. I can remove the deck in less than 5 minutes if I want to put the rear seat back in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 09-12-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 03-09-2014 at 02:37 PM.
post #3 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

, Granite,

Last edited by BigMike; 03-09-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 02:02 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

That turned out realllly nice!

Dumb audio question, how is the sub firing sitting flat on the floor without any reliefs on any side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
That turned out realllly nice!

Dumb audio question, how is the sub firing sitting flat on the floor without any reliefs on any side?
Thanks!

There is about 3/4" of relief for the sub. I probably should have set it deeper. I packed the sub box with poly-fill.

, Granite,
post #6 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Why so short though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 02:54 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Thanks!

There is about 3/4" of relief for the sub. I probably should have set it deeper. I packed the sub box with poly-fill.
I'm talking about reliefs in the area around the baffle to let the sound waves escape, see my edit. If that box sits flat on the floor, you aren't going to get anything out of that sub.

Also, I noticed that notch for the tab, that sub requires a completely sealed airspace. Otherwise, it will sound muddy and get weird resonant frequencies. Try to seal that off with some silicone or hot glue.
Attached Images

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 03-09-2014 at 02:56 PM.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Why so short though?
Short in depth or height?

Depth because I wanted to be able to recline the seats fully. Also, there is only so far you can reach back to get stuff out.

Height because all of the stuff that I'll put in there to lock away will be in backpacks. I had a Tuffy security box in the back of my '09 2 door and took up the entire rear. I want my dogs to be able right back there too.

This is what I was going after. http://orv-innovations.com/

, Granite,

Last edited by BigMike; 03-09-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #9 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I'm talking about reliefs in the area around the baffle to let the sound waves escape, see my edit. If that box sits flat on the floor, you aren't going to get anything out of that sub.

Also, I noticed that notch for the tab, that sub requires a completely sealed airspace. Otherwise, it will sound muddy and get weird resonant frequencies. Try to seal that off with some silicone or hot glue.
I see what you're talking about now. I'll cut some reliefs into bottom the next time I have the deck out. Thanks for the tip!

, Granite,
post #10 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 03:16 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
post #11 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Short in depth or height?

Depth because I wanted to be able to recline the seats fully. Also, there is only so far you can reach back to get stuff out.

Height because all of the stuff that I'll put in there to lock away will be in backpacks. I had a Tuffy security box in the back of my '09 2 door and took up the entire rear. I want my dogs to be able right back there too.

This is what I was going after. http://orv-innovations.com/
Yeah height, but now I see what you went for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Wheeler

Looks good
post #13 of 34 Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Very nice.

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #14 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think that I'm going to disable the electric lock for the tailgate or put a toggle switch on it. It would be pretty easy for someone to just hit the unlock button and open the tailgate.

, Granite,
post #15 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
I think that I'm going to disable the electric lock for the tailgate or put a toggle switch on it. It would be pretty easy for someone to just hit the unlock button and open the tailgate.
I thought once you lock the jeep with the keyfob the door switches are disabled after about 16 seconds.
post #16 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
I thought once you lock the jeep with the keyfob the door switches are disabled after about 16 seconds.
Didn't know that. Let me check the manual

, Granite,
post #17 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yep, looks like you're right

Quote:
The Vehicle Security Alarm is designed to protect your
vehicle; however, you can create conditions where the
Vehicle Security Alarm will arm unexpectedly. If you remain in the vehicle and lock the doors with the RKE
transmitter, once the Vehicle Security Alarm is armed
(after 16 seconds), when you pull the door handle to exit,
the alarm will sound. If this occurs, press the UNLOCK
button on the RKE transmitter to disarm the Vehicle
Security Alarm. You may also accidentally disarm the
Vehicle Security Alarm by unlocking the driver’s door
with the key and then locking it. The door will be locked
but the Vehicle Security Alarm will not arm.
NOTE:
• Unlocking the doors with the manual door lock plungers
or the driver’s door lock cylinder will not disarm
the Vehicle Security Alarm.
When the Vehicle Security Alarm is armed, the interior
power door lock switches will not unlock the doors.

, Granite,
post #18 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Rock God

Ive been looking at doing the same thing ever since i saw the stealth shelf.

have you figured out any type of tote or bag that will fit under this?
post #19 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar the grouch View Post
Ive been looking at doing the same thing ever since i saw the stealth shelf.

have you figured out any type of tote or bag that will fit under this?
Any bag will fit under it you just have to keep it less than 6" thick. I ordered 3 of these for $10.99 each less 10% first time buyer coupon. I can probably fit 5 of them in there pretty easy.

Name:  backpack.PNG
Views: 1942
Size:  217.1 KB

, Granite,
post #20 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Rock God

i want to find those oro bags. curious as to who their supplier is .
post #21 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
i want to find those oro bags. curious as to who their supplier is .
They probably had them custom made. There are a million places online to get nylon bags made to order. I didn't feel like the cost was worth it though. I've always had my recovery gear in a heavy duty backpack.

, Granite,
post #22 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Rock God

are you going up to helen this weekend for the jeep fest?

I made a little deck to cover the rear footwells so my dogs would have more room have you thought about extending this to hit the back of the seats at all?
post #23 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
are you going up to helen this weekend for the jeep fest?

I made a little deck to cover the rear footwells so my dogs would have more room have you thought about extending this to hit the back of the seats at all?
I forgot all about it. I think I'll try to get up there on Sunday when the crowds won't be as bad.

, Granite,
post #24 of 34 Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Rock God

there shouldnt be much of a crowd anyway. its first year. My site is handling the trail rides and were not expecting more than 200
post #25 of 34 Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Done. I had it out a few weeks ago and cut the reliefs in and have much better sound from the sub.

, Granite,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode