Rear sway bar issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rear sway bar issues

So when I got my 2013 it had a 1 3/4" daystar spacer lift already on it. I took it off when I put on my TF lift. I thought it was just cool spacers but it also has a rear swaybar drop bracket. Didn't find out till after everything was installed and noticed the end links at rubbing the upper control arm mount. Is thay normal or what should I do? I don't know what it's supposed to look like factory.

Do I just remove the spacer and bolt the swaybar back up to the frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Granite Guru

Pictures, or a more thorough description would help a lot. Did the lift kit come with rear end links? Are they adjustable? Did the shop put them in? If so, pull the drop brackets and adjust them to the proper length. At ride height, are the arms on the bar parallel with the ground, pointed up or pointed down?
post #3 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The drop brackets were on the previous spacer lift the dealer put on. The new cool lift came with longer end links so that it wouldn't need a spacer. I installed the lift and they installed the 8 control arms and did alignment. Now I noticed that one, maybe both end links are bent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The spacer lift is uninstalled and out of the question which is why I removed the swaybar drop spacer. I didn't even know it had one till I saw my buds didn't have one and I got online and looked at the spacer lifts kit specs.

I was hoping that putting it back to original to original location would help but doesn't look like it's gonna matter (I had to order factory bolts from mopar that will be here tomorrow)
post #5 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Granite Guru

I'm gonna guess it's a byproduct of your trackbar not being adjusted properly, putting sideways stress on the end links.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The track bar should be bc it's evenly spaced on both sides (I have front and rear adjustable teraflex bars)
post #7 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Granite Guru

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164625

That's not you?

If the axle's not centered under the vehicle, there's sideways force against everything connecting the body to the axle. If the difference between driver side tires showing vs. passenger side showing is inches, as you say, that's plenty to bend an end link, and maybe put one of them into a upper control arm mount on one side under compression.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I centered them both today. It probably happened while it was off center
post #9 of 18 Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here's the pics

Passenger side

Drivers side
post #10 of 18 Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I called TF today and emailed them pics. They said the shop lengthened the control arms a little to far. Called the shop and they went by the instructions which show measurements for 3" lift. The front is almost touching the springs too. Even though they went but instructions surely they woulda noticed something was wrong when the end links were hitting the upper control arm bracket. They're gonna fix it for me Monday though

Soo thanks to me teraflex is working on doing measurements for all their different lifts besides 3" and 4" to add to the control arm install instructions
post #11 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

UPDATE

when i installed everything originally with the 8 teraflex arms them being adj too far out caused the rear sway bar lings to get bent. the shop shortened the arms as much as possible and this fixed it but they were still pretty close and i never got around to putting the replacement links on until about 30 min ago after i put the factory lower control arms back on. come the find out the end links that came with the kit were 1.5" shorter compared to the replacement end links! that was most of the problem all along. the swaybar is at a better angle now than it was before but the links are almost touching the upper CA brackets like they were with the TF lower CAs installed.

so heres the question. if i put the TF LCAs back on in the back will it tilt the axle enough to move the end link off of the bracket or not?
post #12 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpayne08 View Post
so heres the question. if i put the TF LCAs back on in the back will it tilt the axle enough to move the end link off of the bracket or not?
Depends on the over length....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//

//
//

post #13 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

They're as short as you can make the teraflex arms
post #14 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Stock length is 19-3/4". The TF are adjusted to 20"
post #15 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Stock length is 19-3/4". The TF are adjusted to 20"
Something is not adding up here... Are you measuring center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole?

//
//

//
//

post #16 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes I am. What's not adding up?
post #17 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 05:59 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yes I am. What's not adding up?
The fact that that the lower arm is .25" longer than stock on a 1.75" spacer lift and the RUCA bracket has interference issues.

Check these links below for CA length suggestions for varying ride heights.

JK Rear Lower Control Arms

JK Rear Upper Control Arms

//
//

//
//

post #18 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have a 2.5" teraflex lift. The spacer lift was on when I got the jeep and I removed it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode