Talked to exhaust shop, does he know what he's talking about? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Talked to exhaust shop, does he know what he's talking about?

First off I have a 2dr 2013 with 2.5" TF coil lift with all 8 TF arms and both TF track bars

So I go into the best exhaust shop in town today after I picked up my jeep from getting my control arms installed to have them install teraflex exhaust spacers. He puts it up on the rack and looks at it about 5 minutes then comes in the lobby to show me "the ins and outs of the exhaust". He showed me that there's a good 4" or better between the exhaust and driveshaft boot and both axles were at full droop just hanging there (2.5" TF lift with 33s) and says the spacers aren't needed and that it would push it into the middle crossmember. I was asking about exhausts and he tries to tell me that flowmaster is the way to go for sound and you only need to replace the muffler (they are a big flowmaster dealer and push them hard). I told them I liked the sound of the AFE and MBRP and he asked if I been on the internet, I say yes. Tells me to not listen to those guys on the forums bc it only causes headaches, etc. I told him I wanted to delete the resonator (mostly for clearance and a tad weight reduction) and he says not to worry about it.

So is he right about the spacers? I have heard that not all jks need the spacers (is it a 3.8 thing and they just market it for all jks?). What should I do about exhaust? Is it fairly easy to install a catback? He also tried to tell me catback is a gimmick the guys online try to push.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Wheeler

I think it droops a lot more if you disconnect the swaybar.
post #3 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Granite Guru

You shouldn't need exhaust spacers with a 2.5" lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I forgot about having the front swaybar QD. Hmmm
post #5 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

A lot of the guys at jeepforum said you did, that should tell you something lol
post #6 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpayne08 View Post
I don't know what this means. I've never been on Jeepforum.

My experience with two friends rigs and three different lifts ranging from 2"-3" actual lift, including a TeraFlex 2.5, neither have needed spacers. Not a huge sample size, and yours may be different. Disconnect and cycle the suspension, see what the deal is first hand.
post #7 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

As far as the exhaust is concerned, on the Pentastar, I have not heard it with a Delta Flow 40 or 50 series Flowmaster. On my 3.8, the 50 series (3 chamber) sounds really mellow and deep. The spacers, you may not need them depending on the way you wheel, you could try running without them and see if you make contact. There isn't a huge performance gain over changing out anything beyond the muffler, IMHO. Nothing worth the additional expense at this point, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I mostly want a new exhaust for better clearance. Plus I hate seeing the muffler from the rear and want it tucked.

Jeepforum is full of know it alls and what they say is the gospel
post #9 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

ROFL... A catback exhaust simply means an exhaust system from the catalytic converters, and back.

Just how is that a gimmick? Or is this a troll ? I'm just saying.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

He says they call it a catback to make it sound like it's something special and it's not necessary to have a catback, just get a muffler. Also said deleting the resonator won't do anything bc it's a straight through. Not a troll, this is foreal lol. I think he says all this so he can push something and make more money
post #11 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
He says they call it a catback to make it sound like it's something special and it's not necessary to have a catback, just get a muffler. Also said deleting the resonator won't do anything bc it's a straight through. Not a troll, this is foreal lol. I think he says all this so he can push something and make more money
It isn't necessary to have a "catback" exhaust on a JK, and nobody makes a real one, anyways. They all keep the stock exhaust manifold/cats/primary tubes. I haven't seen any that increase the diameter of the mid-pipe, but even if they do, you still have those long ass restrictive 2" primary tubes. And the resonator is a straight through. It's there to reduce drone at cruising speed. An axle back setup is really all it sounds like you need, to increase rear clearance and get rid of the muffler being visible.
post #12 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The 3.6L Pentastars are the powertrain that require the spacers to add DS droop clearance. The 3.8L did not need them. I would just go axle back for the reduced cost of replacement. You'll get similar gains for less money, especially if the replacement is mostly for aesthetics and to tuck the muffler up higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #13 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

When my jeep was in the air there was a good 4-5" of clearance between The boot and the exhaust. Granted my sway bars weren't disconnected
post #14 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

And I was just lookin at the AFE exhausts. The price difference between axle back and cat back is $20-25 so it seems worth it to get the catback
post #15 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Granite Guru

Don't forget to add their $330some y-pipe, if you want an almost, but still not quite cat-back exhaust. I love how manufacturers misrepresent their products.

Two of my buddies just put on aFe axle backs in the past few weeks. They're awesome. Barely noticeable while driving.
post #16 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I eventually wanna do the y pipe. Does the cat back delete the resonator or does the cat back start after the resonator?
post #17 of 34 Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

If you don't think you need the spacers then don't run them. You will probably be fine, but go flex it out with the sway bars discoe'd and take a look under there. Of course make sure that the Jeep isn't going to roll away and smash you. LOL

The benefit of letting an exhaust shop do your muffler replacement is you can try a few options out before they weld one up all the way to find the sound you actually want. If you buy something like exhaust online and you end up not liking it then you're stuck with it.

I always use the exhaust shop for my exhaust work so that I can put things where I want them and get the lack of sound that I'm after.

I'd personally leave the resonator in place. Put a muffler right behind it in line or tuck it up in the stock location way up by the body. That's how mine was on the 2012 and you couldn't see it from the rear.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 34 Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Rock God

Sounds like your muffler guy is right. Flowmaster produces the best sound. You don't need the exhaust spacer for 2 1/2" lift. Leave the resonator in. And, a "cat-back" is a gimmick. Just replace the muffler and save yourself some money.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #19 of 34 Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Did they give you a good recommendation on paint color and stickers too?

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #20 of 34 Old 03-05-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

not yet lol. im done with that place and gonna stay over here. kinda cluttered over there with all the other different models anyways.

ive always had flowmasters on my trucks. ive heard that flowmaster robs power from small engines though. I really like the sound of the AFE and the only reason id even go catback with it is bc I checked on quadratec last night and its the SAME price as the axle back. doesn't make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post

Did they give you a good recommendation on paint color and stickers too?
post #21 of 34 Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Rock God

It sounds like your exhaust shop is correct as stated above.

Honestly it sounds like he is trying to save you $$ by only recommending you only replace the muffler. I'd have him add a muffler right behind the resonator (in front of the evap canister) and then cut the exhaust pipe just past the hanger by the evap canister and rotate it to point down. No need to exist all the way to the back.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #22 of 34 Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx0778 View Post
It sounds like your exhaust shop is correct as stated above.

Honestly it sounds like he is trying to save you $$ by only recommending you only replace the muffler. I'd have him add a muffler right behind the resonator (in front of the evap canister) and then cut the exhaust pipe just past the hanger by the evap canister and rotate it to point down. No need to exist all the way to the back.
Not all state laws are the same. Mine, for instance, says the exhaust must exit behind the rearmost openable window. My before the axle dump is not legal for public street use.
post #23 of 34 Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangmuf View Post
Not all state laws are the same. Mine, for instance, says the exhaust must exit behind the rearmost openable window. My before the axle dump is not legal for public street use.
WOW I did not even consider that, LOL! I guess that means must exist behind the rear glass / soft top. Sux for you guys in states with tight emissions laws, unlike us here in Texas

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #24 of 34 Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I eventually wanna do the y pipe. Does the cat back delete the resonator or does the cat back start after the resonator?
Unless it's changed recently, I'm PRETTY sure the y pipe won't work with a 2Dr. It's a clearance issue with the gas tank I believe.

One thing to keep in mind about your DS clearance is that even if it is advertised as a 2.5 lift, you need to check actual lift gained. If you're running stock bumpers and low weight accessories you probably got more than 2.5". That's why you want to be absolutely sure you check it at full droop while disco'd.

Just stuff I thought I'd pass on that I've uncovered when I was looking at all of this stuff awhile back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #25 of 34 Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I was just goin by what it said on quadratec. Says it's for both but who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode