Progressive Rate Springs - Poly VS. RK? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 03-04-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Progressive Rate Springs - Poly VS. RK?

Anyone run both springs? Any difference in performance on / off road? I know the Poly springs have a longer free length to help the springs stay seated when flexing. But, other than that, has anyone felt a difference in the ON road handling.

I'm being honest, I'm looking for a softer ride over shitty streets and washboard roads. My backside has been beat up enough over the last 5 years on my 3" Full Traction HD springs.

I read good about both and know the "you can't go wrong with either" advice, but I'm hoping to hear from someone whose run both.

Thanks in advance.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 03-04-2014, 02:42 PM
JKowners Vendor

We are very confident you will like the ride quality and handling provided by our TR coils. Just remember, coils are only one part of the equation. Proper tuned suspension is the real answer. Springs, shocks, and geometry...

Good luck with whatever you choose....

RK
post #3 of 64 Old 03-04-2014, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've always run RK coils. Right now I have their 1.5" triple rates on an expedition bulld and DD. Very happy.

That said, a shit ton of parts on my Jeep are Synergy/Poly and they're top notch as well.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I couldnt contemplate driving w/out my 3" Synergy /PolyPerf coils; They are precise and if you order a 1" taller front or 1" lower rear or use a spacer, it's leveled; the coils are awesome on rocks and very supple as I have a DD JKU i run them and many other Synergy products on. Just a win/win choice, IMO. I do hear the RKs are nice , as well. Wanna third option? Icon Vehicle Dynamics,,,,,,,

post #5 of 64 Old 03-05-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah, it's a tough choice. Both have GREAT reviews. It's looking like the only advantage I've read about is Poly's longer free length.

On the trail, I have ZERO complaints about the Full Traction springs... but they are tough on the street. I've loaded my JKU with half a pallet of sod (back seats folded down and loaded up about 5" past the bottom of the windows) and I'll be damned if the rear spring saged more than 1.5" with all that sod. My jeep was barely past level.

Any major settling with the Poly springs? I know it's too soon to tell with the RK, but again, RK makes great springs and I haven't heard of any real sagging with their older springs.

post #6 of 64 Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM
JKowners Vendor

We do not expect our coils to settle hardly at all in a properly built JK. We go to great lengths to ensure our coils quality;

preset to minimize settling
shot peened for stress relief before they get coated

All to ensure we have a quality coil. A lot of companies skip steps which makes their coils more cost effective, but lesser quality as well...

RK
post #7 of 64 Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx0778 View Post
Yeah, it's a tough choice. Both have GREAT reviews. It's looking like the only advantage I've read about is Poly's longer free length.

On the trail, I have ZERO complaints about the Full Traction springs... but they are tough on the street. I've loaded my JKU with half a pallet of sod (back seats folded down and loaded up about 5" past the bottom of the windows) and I'll be damned if the rear spring saged more than 1.5" with all that sod. My jeep was barely past level.

Any major settling with the Poly springs? I know it's too soon to tell with the RK, but again, RK makes great springs and I haven't heard of any real sagging with their older springs.
I've had the poly 4.5 springs for about 2 yrs now. No settling. Still ride awesome. Still at the same height from when I got them.
I had 5 trail ready bead locks, a front Dana 30, fab 4 front and rear bumpers, speaker box and some other crap in the back of mine and it only sagged about a half inch.

I have fox shocks for a 6 inch lift so I have a lot of droop. Only ever unseated a spring once.

You smell that?

Last edited by Rottenbelly; 03-05-2014 at 06:19 PM.
post #8 of 64 Old 03-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenbelly View Post
I've had the poly 4.5 springs for about 2 yrs now. No settling. Still ride awesome. Still at the same height from when I got them.
I had 5 trail ready bead locks, a front Dana 30, fab 4 front and rear bumpers, speaker box and some other crap in the back of mine and it only sagged about a half inch.

I have fox shocks for a 6 inch lift so I have a lot of droop. Only ever unseated a spring once.
That's the exact spring/shock set up I just went with. Stoked to try it out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 64 Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

You know my answer... but its CLEARLY biased:/

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #10 of 64 Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks everyone. I'm probably going to be ordering in the next 2 weeks. So I'll keep checking to see if anyone posts with experience switching form one to the other. I know I can't go wrong with either.

post #11 of 64 Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Rock God

Synergy hands down.

After comparing quite a few different springs, Synergy and Metalcloak became my first 2 choices. Rock Krawler wasn't even a consideration after learning more about them.

If you want a soft ride and the most travel, a longer coil will be the most likely to meet your needs.

Short coils have to rely on higher spring rates since they don't have the additional length.

Last edited by -SLADE-; 03-07-2014 at 09:58 AM.
post #12 of 64 Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Rock God

The only companies who make a true progressive spring are going to be Metal Cloak, Poly, and AEV. Between the 3 companies Metal Cloak and Poly are both going to be a 19.5" long free length spring in the back, and AEV will be about 18.25", and in the front Metal Cloak will be 21.875", Poly will be 21.5", and AEV is 21" in free length for their longest springs.

The MC and Poly lifts for the longest springs are going to be 3-3.5" and the longest springs from aev are going to be their 4.5" lift springs.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #13 of 64 Old 03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Anyone run both springs? Any difference in performance on / off road? I know the Poly springs have a longer free length to help the springs stay seated when flexing. But, other than that, has anyone felt a difference in the ON road handling.

I'm being honest, I'm looking for a softer ride over shitty streets and washboard roads. My backside has been beat up enough over the last 5 years on my 3" Full Traction HD springs.

I read good about both and know the "you can't go wrong with either" advice, but I'm hoping to hear from someone whose run both.

Thanks in advance.
Currie dual rate springs. I have had 4 different sets of springs none ride as plush as the Currie springs and their 1" longer 4" springs are longer than any other jk spring I have seen specs on.
post #14 of 64 Old 03-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Granite Guru

Have not used the new TR RK coils...just the old ones. Also used the EVO Plush Ride coils. The Synergy coils had the edge- they were a bit more plush on road- that was the biggest difference. Well, they were also longer. They were still very controlled. I had a light 2-door. I hear Metalcloak coils are nice but obviously cannot compare them, since I have not used them.

It would be interesting to compare the spring rates of the Synergy, the Metalcloak, and the new RK TR coils. Need coils soon, but not till I have figured out the fenders. If I go with flatties, I will likely go with Synergy's 2" coils and 35s. If stock fenders, I have not decided yet, but the Metalcloak 2.5 or RK TR 2.5s are also options. Don't get me started on shocks...
post #15 of 64 Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
It would be interesting to compare the spring rates of the Synergy, the Metalcloak, and the new RK TR coils.

I would like to see the actual numbers also but you won't get them from all 3 manufacturers though.

Rock Krawler's Triple Rates would be better suited comparing them to Linear/single rate coils with similar free lengths. It's not really fair to Rock Krawler to throw them into a comparison with coils that are around 3" longer than the "Triple Rate" coils are.

Also take into consideration that Rock Krawler prides them self on the handling you get from their firmer "Triple Rate" coils. They are also built around the 4 Door and Rock Krawler does not have 2 door specific coils which would put them at another disadvantage when comparing them to 2 door specific or true Progressive coils.
post #16 of 64 Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Currie dual rate springs. I have had 4 different sets of springs none ride as plush as the Currie springs and their 1" longer 4" springs are longer than any other jk spring I have seen specs on.
List of the other springs you've ran? Wish Currie had a 2.5"-3" range coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #17 of 64 Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks everyone. Great feedback listed here.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Poly springs. I'm moving down to 35's from 37's and I'm running ACE fenders. The Poly's give me a little more options to dial in my final ride height but still give me a good free length for flexing. Still mulling it over for another week.

post #18 of 64 Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 AM
Granite Guru

Poly!

Ordering mine this week....had em on them on the last jeep and really like em...ran a lot of different springs and definently going with poly again.
post #19 of 64 Old 03-14-2014, 09:58 AM
JKowners Vendor

As far as 2 door and 4 door specific coils go, that was one of the reasons for us coming out with our new 1.5" coils. That way we can offer a coil that gives a 2 door a true 2.5" of lift.

RK
post #20 of 64 Old 03-24-2014, 03:44 PM
pik
Wheeler

After about a month wait, my Rock Krawler coils have arrived and I just installed your new triple rate 2.5 in coils on my JKU Rubicon. I must say, the ride is marvelous! I upgraded from a linear spring and the ride quality is night and day.
I am running a mix of RK and Synergy gear under my rig....LCA's, front track bar, and now springs are all Rock Krawler.
The drag link and tie rod with both upper/lower ball joints are Synergy. I liked the fact that I got a both links complete (with tie rod ends) from Synergy.
With 58K miles, the front end feels rock solid. Everything was done in the last month has cleared up the case of the death wobbles that my JKU was suffering from.
I have not yet had a chance to have it offroad, but I am betting that my face will hurt from smiling!

Shout out to Marcus at RCO was great to deal with and communicated with me several times a week until everything arrived at my door.

2007 JKU Rubicon
2.5 RK springs
Synergy steering "stuff"
35" KM2's on stock Rubi wheels
River Raider skids
Superchips Flashpaq
K&N FIPK
Dynomax 'rock crawler' catback system
post #21 of 64 Old 04-01-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I just got my 2.5" springs in today. It might be a while before they go on. Gotta find enough time to do them with my TF budget brake kit. T-ball season is hear and Fiesta is right around the corner. Wrenching time is in short supply right now.

I was torn right down to the last second between RK & Poly. I too went through Marcus & RCO. I ordered the Poly ones. Then called back and changed to RK. Was told they might be a little behind a week or so due to demand right now. I called back a day later to change back to Poly, but Marcus told me to hold a few minutes while he called RK. Marcus called back a few minutes later, and springs would be shipped in the next day or two. Next day I got my tracking number and 3 business days later I have my springs

Running Metal Cloak FLCA, BDS FUCA, Poly b-joints, EVO flip kit, bilstein 5100's for a 4"-5" lift (I honestly do not remember the part #'s and really wish I did). When $$ permits, I'll be swapping to all MC control arms... IMO they live up to the hype

I'm know the RK springs are quality products. I really hope they live up to my expectations and are as big an improvement over the Full Traction HD springs as I'm wanting. I will definitely follow up with an honest assessment when they go in (I'm not one to be afraid to ask for my $$ back and return a product when I'm not satisfied).

I will probably come down a little in height as the FT springs gave me close to 4" of lift. Not a problem as I also went down to 35's again.

post #22 of 64 Old 04-01-2014, 12:40 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I was torn right down to the last second between RK & Poly. I too went through Marcus & RCO. I ordered the Poly ones. Then called back and changed to RK. Was told they might be a little behind a week or so due to demand right now. I called back a day later to change back to Poly, but Marcus told me to hold a few minutes while he called RK.

I'll be swapping to all MC control arms... IMO they live up to the hype

I really hope they live up to my expectations and are as big an improvement over the Full Traction HD springs as I'm wanting.
Bummed you didn't go with the Synergy ones man

Might wanna wait a little on those CA's... we got some new shit we will be debuting at EJS. It's gonna up the joint/bushing game BIG TIME.

Anything would have been an upgrade from that FT stuff.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #23 of 64 Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post

Might wanna wait a little on those CA's... we got some new shit we will be debuting at EJS. It's gonna up the joint/bushing game BIG TIME.

I'll keep my eye out for your new arms/joints. It's gonna be a few months before I start replacing control arms...again

post #24 of 64 Old 04-01-2014, 01:21 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:

Very cool. Nice to see you guys moving forward without Drew there.

One never knows what we have in test right now!

RK
post #25 of 64 Old 04-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Any teasers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode