Tire carrier or not - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Tire carrier or not

After moving out of my parents house(finally) about a year ago. I have really notice the space where the tire is taking up is very valuable space(groceries ect). I am looking into the Teraflex, PSC(if and when it comes out), Genight or OrFab.

Pros/Cons

Teraflex- looks, easy install, price, tight to body, opens with tailgate / limited to a 37" tire

PSC- looks, one pin latch to open, 40"tire, height it keeps tire / not available, install

Genright- looks, 42"tire / price, install, two pins to open

Orfab- looks, price, one latch to open / install, 37"tire

With that being said, I am in and out of my trunk everyday for work. So having one or no extra latches to open is huge. Also the plan for 40s is in the future but a few years down the road, that being said I have read that Bond from Rebel has been running a 40 on his Tera with no known issues as of now. Any input on this matter to help me make a decision would be great. Thanks

I have been running with my tire in the back like this for almost two years now.
[IMG][/IMG]

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Granite Guru

I was in the same boat as you and just got the River Raider rear bumper with tire carrier. High quality just like all there other products. I can post some specific pics if you have something you want to see just let me know.

2007 JKU Rubicon "Mo"
37's
3" TF Lift
post #3 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Sorry should have specified I have the PSC BFH rear, so bumper carrier combos are out of the question.

PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Rock God

If you look at the sPod build they used an AEV tire carrier with a BFH. It takes a bit if fab work for the spindle mount to be welded to the BFH but then you can run a 40 and have no latches.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #5 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wonder if it is possible to find a single pin long enough for the genright?

Might look a little silly but maybe remove just enough of a barrier to entry that it works out.

I own the teraflex one and love it.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

In your situation, i'd take a hard look at the teraflex carrier.

I have the OR-Fab carrier, it was the only one that had the gas can holders. Installation is a pain in the ass if you are doing it alone. having to open the carrier to get into the back can be a biatch sometimes. If you do any hard wheeling, it can get knocked out of alignment.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #7 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
If you look at the sPod build they used an AEV tire carrier with a BFH. It takes a bit if fab work for the spindle mount to be welded to the BFH but then you can run a 40 and have no latches.
Ill have to go back and take a look at it, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
I wonder if it is possible to find a single pin long enough for the genright?

Might look a little silly but maybe remove just enough of a barrier to entry that it works out.

I own the teraflex one and love it.
I wonder if only running one pin would mess with the structure? Obviously would not run it like that off roading but just on the road might not be bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
In your situation, i'd take a hard look at the teraflex carrier.

I have the OR-Fab carrier, it was the only one that had the gas can holders. Installation is a pain in the ass if you are doing it alone. having to open the carrier to get into the back can be a biatch sometimes. If you do any hard wheeling, it can get knocked out of alignment.
Not to worried about holding gas at this time, but Im sure tera will come out with a way to carry some rotopax if they havent already.

Having the tire where I have it now is the only plus i see when it comes to knocking it on ledges or the dirt while wheeling.

post #8 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
JKowners Vendor

What about the EVO Setup?

I think with you getting in and out of the tailgate everyday, I think you will grow to hate the pins!

Either way, you know we can help!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #9 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
What about the EVO Setup?

I think with you getting in and out of the tailgate everyday, I think you will grow to hate the pins!

Either way, you know we can help!

-Jason
Evo is nice, but like you side taking out those pins everyday will be a hassle. Plus when its time to go 40s ill be comp cutting, I dont think that will work.

post #10 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Granite Guru

if it helps, we're running the teraflex carrier for now until we can purchase a rear bumper with carrier.

very happy with it. super clean, easy to install and we're only running 35s

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #11 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
Link?

Edit: nevermind, I found it.

Last edited by Cavallini03; 02-26-2014 at 05:20 PM.
post #12 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 PM
Granite Guru

All nice options... I've used the stock carrier, the TF carrier, and I think my next will be the $$AEV$$ carrier for my 2014 JKURX.

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
post #13 of 34 Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallini03 View Post
Link?

Edit: nevermind, I found it.
So I found the jeep but Im having trouble finding the build, can you post up that link you found please.

post #14 of 34 Old 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Granite Guru

I'm putting the TF HD on tomorrow and I'm running 40's. I figured why not, my old 37's grapplers were heavier then my 40" mtrs so I "should" be okay...

2012 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Gecko Green!
6" longarm, 40" tires, 4:88's Synergy inner/outer sleeves, trussed, c's and hvy duty ball joints,Tom Woods DS f/r, Bush Whacker Flat Fenders.
RSE Rear Bumper, Smitty Stinger front.
post #15 of 34 Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Rock God

I have the or-fab. On serious trail rigs, I prefer carriers that don't have a single mount to the body. With the teraflex or any that open with the tailgate, all it takes is one time to back into something on the trail and you've pushed the tailgate in.
post #16 of 34 Old 02-28-2014, 03:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
I have the or-fab. On serious trail rigs, I prefer carriers that don't have a single mount to the body. With the teraflex or any that open with the tailgate, all it takes is one time to back into something on the trail and you've pushed the tailgate in.
I've had my tire both land on ledges and have my jeep roll back into a rock and the teraflex carrier is just fine. In fact the way it was designed there is a small piece that will fail first. This should prevent any damage to your tailgate.

Info:

|
post #17 of 34 Old 03-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Rock God

I have the TeraFlex hinged carrier and 35-inch tires.

Not only it takes just one pull to access the cargo area, but it is sturdy yet relatively lightweight. It also gives you more options for what to do at the rear; including keeping the factory bumper and third-light.

Once you get used to this well-integrated, user-friendly setup you can't see yourself putting anything else back there.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires

Last edited by aldo90731; 03-02-2014 at 07:04 AM.
post #18 of 34 Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Had the AEV but sold it all and then got a new JKUR. Subscribed to get ideas...don't want another AEV. The TF option is appealing, assuming it hold up well over time.
post #19 of 34 Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
The TF option is appealing, assuming it hold up well over time.
Chose Tereflex for lots of the reasons listed, but mainly was up in the air about a rear bumper and definitely wanted a carrier that operated with the gate in one motion. Haven't had it long for full evaluation, but very pleased so far.

I had the same concerns about it holding-up. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not remember any members having issues with TF carrier on the trail or highway.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #20 of 34 Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Granite Guru

A lot of them were developing cracks. TF made some changes. I am not sure what/where/when they beefed things up.
post #21 of 34 Old 03-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Granite Guru

Another vote for TF. I had one on my '12 JKUR and it was awesome. Its a very solid mount and accessing the cargo area is a one step operation.

As far as cracks are concerned, I had one of the first generation models and never had a single issue.

2012 JKUR - Curb Crawler
RE 3.5" Springs/AEV Drop Brackets/Teraflex Monster Trackbar/Rancho RS9000 Shocks
Full Metal Fabworks Apex Bumpers and Solution Plate
Rugged Ridge Wheels with 37" BFG AT KO2's - TeraFlex Front BBK - Poison Spyder 50" windshield mounts with LED bar - Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer
post #22 of 34 Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N77NXC View Post
Another vote for TF. I had one on my '12 JKUR and it was awesome. Its a very solid mount and accessing the cargo area is a one step operation.

As far as cracks are concerned, I had one of the first generation models and never had a single issue.
I broke the first generation version of the pice the studs are pressed into when I slipped down off a rock into another rock. (Backwards).

It didn't fail completely. My tailgate is fine. I was able to drive home just fine.

TF replaced it for free with the current generation which has a ton more gusseting. Looking at it I do not think it would fail if I was to hit it again.

Info:

|
post #23 of 34 Old 03-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
A lot of them were developing cracks. TF made some changes. I am not sure what/where/when they beefed things up.
I stand corrected. Have read about the technical problems on early carriers.

I should have said that with concerns of damage to the gate/tub, if the spare catches a ledge or if backing up and hitting the spare on an obstacle, that it seems logical to presume some pretty bad damage will occur, but I have not found reports of same. Tried searching on mods forum and general discussion forum. Read threads as much as I had time, but there were too many for me to positively be sure.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #24 of 34 Old 03-03-2014, 05:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchettt View Post
I stand corrected. Have read about the technical problems on early carriers.

I should have said that with concerns of damage to the gate/tub, if the spare catches a ledge or if backing up and hitting the spare on an obstacle, that it seems logical to presume some pretty bad damage will occur, but I have not found reports of same. Tried searching on mods forum and general discussion forum. Read threads as much as I had time, but there were too many for me to positively be sure.
Ratchettt I wouldn't worry if I were you.

The only piece that was cracking was the piece in the top left of this photo

This is squeezed into the carrier its self and held there by the constriction of a bunch of steel by some grade 8 bolts.

Essentially having it constructed that way will ensure that it breaks/slips well before anything ever happens to your tailgate.

Info:

|
post #25 of 34 Old 03-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Granite Guru

Another vote for TF carrier. I have the hi lift mount with it too that's come in handy. Just gotta get a rotor-pax for it now. Another plus for me is that TF has stood by their product and has made right replacing parts that have failed.

Mike M

2013 2dr rubi
MC 2.5", Fox RR TF tuned shocks, TF carrier, Viair, TL's and so on...... still on stock tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode