Would you buy any of salvage jeeps? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Would you buy any of salvage jeeps?

Hi! I'm wondering if someone here has an experience with buying cars with salvage title, do you think they are worth buying or better to stay away from them? I'm looking for salvage JK and I'm choosing between these options:

http://www.easyexport.us/vehicle-fin...e-mn-st.-cloud
http://www.easyexport.us/vehicle-fin...nc-china-grove
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/675...Undercarriage/
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/674...gler%20u-Side/
http://www.avtofrom.us/salvage-2008-...RANGLER-362073
http://www.avtofrom.us/salvage-2012-...RANGLER-631000

What jeep do you think will be the best buy? And how much approximately do you think I'll have to spend to repair it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 05:24 AM
It never ends...

Would you buy any of salvage jeeps?

As always it depends. I was looking for one for about 6mo then I gave up for now. I wanted one with a tub that wasn't twisted...couldn't find it at a price that made it worthwhile.

Of the half dozen with a decent tub I did find, I bid on them. Each time the price went high enough I let it go. The prices I saw during the bidding for anything halfway decent struck me as similar to what I could find off craigslist discounted a little bit--but of course no salvage hassle.

If I found what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay, sure I'd buy a salvage vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adventures of Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LeftHandRubi; 02-25-2014 at 05:34 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 AM
Rock God

You know I was really thinking about this last night. It's hard to justify even buying a $15-20k jku only to chop it up and make it the rig I want it to be. It makes alot of sense to buy a salvaged rig and bring it back to Life.

For the right price it would certainly be worth it to me

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Wheeler

Finally something I can comment on.

I have bought a few salvage vehicles over the past few years, including a couple of jeeps.

First thing is you need to really know what your looking at, for example if the jeep is hit in the drivers side front, 9 times out of 10 the drive shaft got pushed back and broke the transfer case.

I could go on, but there's lots of little things to look out for.

If your not planning on licensing it, local salvage laws don't matter.

However if you are, research what you need to do to register it after completition.

In New York (where I live) it's not a huge pain after you've done it a few times, you basically just need to keep all of your reciepts for the repair (body panels, t case, lift), whatever you put into it, and make a (special) inspection appointment. They look it over, and you have a title in about a week.

Pennsylvania is even easier, and inspection station can look it over, sign off, and you just mail the paperwork in.

One side note, here in NY they passed a law that you cannot replace air bags with bags from a salvage yard, they must be new (reciept required), so needless to say, I stay away from anything with blown air bags.

Here's the website I use, the Buffalo NY salvage auction happens to be about 2 miles from my office.

www.iaai.com
post #5 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much LeftHandRubi, Rubiconquered and wnyjpgy for your responses. But how do you guys estimate what the right price is?
post #6 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Rock God

That's all up to you. I look at the body panels that are damaged, I know I can replace the front fenders with smittybilt fender flares if I really want to, on and the rear quarter panels I would just get new corners (psc, genright, smittybilt, etc) hood I can find either used or just get a totl innovations or rugged ridge. Etc.

If the frame is damaged then that's a hard one, if your going to daily drive this thing I would stray from frame damage. If it's going to be your Wheeler and your drive to and from the trail then I'd see how extensive it is.

For me I'm looking for something with little to no frame damage, I don't care about body panels, hard top, etc. I'd go for a 2012 plus for the 3.6 also but that's just me.

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 PM
It never ends...

Yeah, I was looking for a tub that didn't have screwed up rockers. Really hard to find.

The price comes down to simply deciding what you are willing to risk to buy it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #8 of 10 Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

I was going to buy it as a daily driver, but now I'm in two minds really, because I also intended to resell it after some years, do you think it will be possible? Thank you guys for your help!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Granite Guru

My Jeep has a salvage title. Lucky for me the guy before did all the hard work. I paid a lot less for it and that allowed me to mod the crap out of it and still be less than a new Rubicon. There are a lot of folks out there who buy these rigs, fix them and then sell them. If you don't want to rebuild it yourself, consider this route if you're trying to save a buck.

FYI - I was initially concerned about resale and I think that concern is justified. You won't get as much if you want to sell it and will have to find the right buyer.

Last edited by nocoastfocus; 02-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Granite Guru

ive been searching for a salvage 2wd jku to put a blown LS3 in it...but have yet to find one.

2012 Wrangler Unlimted Sahara SOLD
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
2in lift,KDSS, 285/70/17 Terragrapplers.
2010 Mustang GT
5spd, glass roof..loaded
SLP Loudmouth axle backs and Roush CAI..wifeys ride.

Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda
With aerodynamics like a barn and the rolling resistance of a tank can only do so well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode