I have 99565 miles on my '08 JKUR. Whats going to break? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have 99565 miles on my '08 JKUR. Whats going to break?

I bought my 2008 JKUR in October of 2008, new, with the lifetime powertrain warranty. So far, here is what has broken (not including what I have changed because I wanted to):

Manual Transmission started popping out of gear at 6000 miles. Dealer installed a new one.

Pilot bearing was installed wrong and made noise. Dealer fixed that at 7000

Muffler got bashed in by rocks, installed flowmaster, maybe 7500 miles.

Water pump leaked and was replaced at 8000 or so.

Shocks went bad at 40K, got RK 2.5 and Bilstien 5160's then put 33" MTR's on American Racing Mohave wheels.

Plugs, plug wires, EGR valve at about 60K

This Jeep has been offroad a lot, and in the first half of it's 100K, spent as much time on dirt roads as on paved roads. I know forest service roads and farm section roads are not hard core wheeling, but because of work stuff, I have went months where I drove all day everyday on them. It's hard on vehicles and my JK has held up.

Now I work in a town 3 hours from where I live (until May) I commute home on the weekends and the mile have piled up. I can not do any major maintenance until I am done working here unless I can get it done in the few hours I have on Saturdays without any chance I will run into problems that prevent the Jeep from being driven.

As soon as I am done with this job, I will have a pile of cash and will pretty much disassemble my JK for a 100K refurbishment. So far, here is what I think I am going to need:

Ripp Headers and cats to replace my cracked manifolds and dented (probably clogged up) cats.

Cat back exhaust system.

Plugs, again.

Tie rod.

Overhaul/recharge the Bilstiens.

Tires, maybe 35's this time.

EGR, again.

Replace oil sump (big dents from rocks)

Replace fenders with flat/tube fenders (snow beats the hell out of the stock ones, they keep falling off now)

Drive shafts, play in both.

Ball Joints, after 100K, they are toast.

I will also change out the brake fluid, coolant, and PS fluid.

I have always kept Redline oil in the trans, transfer, and fronts and rear diff's. I use Mobile 1 in the engine and change it every 4 to 6K depending on conditions.

What stuff have you guys found wrong on high mile JK's? I think I have had great luck with the abuse I have handed this Jeep and want to make it drive as good as new again before this summer. I get to spend the entire summer at home this year. I will be working, but for once, locally, and on my own schedule. I plan on doing a lot of wheeling.

Has anyone had power sterring issues? I may have some starting to happen. I have a dead spot when I steer into sweeping corners at highway speeds. I don't notice it as much on tight turns, but it is still there. Fluid looks dirty.

What about wheel bearings?

Input from guys with, or who see high mile abused JK's appreciated.

D.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Everything....

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #3 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
Everything....

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have 137,000, need to replace the exhaust manifolds and the EGR valve finally went tits up. Been a good run so far.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Now I remember why I don't bother with this forum anymore. I try to start a discussion about high mileage JK's and get BS replies.
Yet, some one looking for a new phone gets over 50.

WTF does needing a phone have to do with JK's?

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

post #6 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Granite Guru

How many miles did you put on the tranny before first fluid change?
post #7 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
Now I remember why I don't bother with this forum anymore. I try to start a discussion about high mileage JK's and get BS replies.

1 sarcastic answer and out comes Mr Sandy Vagina.
Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #8 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Granite Guru

I have 130k on mine now. Jeep has been very reliable and hasn't left me stranded yet.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I didn't change the fluid before the first trans went bad. It only had 6K miles on it at the time and I think manual trans fluid is a 20K or 30k maintenance item. The failure was also not lubrication dependent, it started popping out of 1rst gear at around 2000 miles, it took 4000 miles to get bad enough for the dealer to be able to find it on a test drive.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Jeep. Not complaining at all. I have abused and neglected it and it keeps going strong.

At about 10K miles I started changing the MTF every 8k to 10K, the diff fluid every 6k to 8k. Transfer case gets done when I do the trans fluid.

I need rotors now too, 100K ain't bad. I have gone through one set of pads. That may have a bit to do with it being a manual. I don't brake much, at least not like you do in an automatic. I am thinking of one of the big brake options.

I have read here that every one goes through ball joints. Mine are toast now, but I have checked then at every oil change and they have been good until recently.

Thanks for the replies.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

post #10 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have just over 125K on my 2009. It's wheeled and has been on 35s or 37s since new.

Ball joints lasted until about 58K miles. Replaced with Poly.

Replaced brake pads around 90K miles.

Replaced clutch around 98K miles.

EGR valve around 100K miles.

Unit bearing replaced at 115K miles...old one was still good.

Driver side exhaust manifold replaced under warranty at 120K miles.

Water pump replaced under warranty at 120K miles.

Intake manifold oil leak fixed under warranty at 120K miles.

Clock spring replaced under warranty at 120K miles.

Oil pan gasket replaced on my dime at 120K miles (oil pan has a dent, so dealer wouldn't fix the leak.)

All I can think of right now. Oil changes happen every 4-5K miles. Tranny/tcase fluid changed every 30K miles. Flushed radiator once, so will do that sometime soon. Still on original spark plugs and serpentine belt. Will probably swap rotors on my next brake pad change.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 04:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Pull the body off of the frame
Install LS drivetrain (you said you have a pile of cash)
D60 in the front

Drive the shit out of it another 100k and beyond.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #12 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
I have just over 125K on my 2009. It's wheeled and has been on 35s or 37s since new.

Ball joints lasted until about 58K miles. Replaced with Poly.

Replaced brake pads around 90K miles.

Replaced clutch around 98K miles.

EGR valve around 100K miles.

Unit bearing replaced at 115K miles...old one was still good.

Driver side exhaust manifold replaced under warranty at 120K miles.

Water pump replaced under warranty at 120K miles.

Intake manifold oil leak fixed under warranty at 120K miles.

Clock spring replaced under warranty at 120K miles.

Oil pan gasket replaced on my dime at 120K miles (oil pan has a dent, so dealer wouldn't fix the leak.)

All I can think of right now. Oil changes happen every 4-5K miles. Tranny/tcase fluid changed every 30K miles. Flushed radiator once, so will do that sometime soon. Still on original spark plugs and serpentine belt. Will probably swap rotors on my next brake pad change.
How did you manage to get any of that done under warranty with those miles on it? I was told by 3 different dealers that the life time warranty pretty much only covered engine or transmission failure. I think I need to go read the fine print. I would really like the Ripp long tube headers, but I would be just fine with warrantied stock manifolds.

When I took it in to the dealer (Yakima WA, the armpit of hell) for the 5 year inspection, I mentioned that I think they are cracked and asked if they could look at them. They said they had never heard of them cracking and it would be $225 for them to take a look.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

post #13 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Pull the body off of the frame
Install LS drivetrain (you said you have a pile of cash)
D60 in the front

Drive the shit out of it another 100k and beyond.
That would be neat having gobs of power, but I am actually fine with the V6. It has enough power for wheeling it, the 6 speeds are not that underpowered on the street. I have a Hemi Commander to to my camper, and for what it would cost to put an LS drive train in my Jeep I could buy any dirt bike I wanted, with enough left over for a kick ass Baja dirt bike trip, or one of several airplanes I have my eye on right now.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

post #14 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM JK View Post
How many miles did you put on the tranny before first fluid change?
I think I put Redline in shortly after they put the new tranny in. I had not changed it before then since the first 6000 miles went by pretty quick.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

post #15 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Early 08 (Sept07) with 124K on the Odo. 35's since 50K.

clockspring went around 35K miles

Manual started popping out of gear around 60K miles, Dealer replaced around 90K.

Gas Tank Filler Deal replaced around 95K because it wouldn't fill more than $3 at a time.

Rear Brake Pads lasted until about 95K. Factory Front's Still going!

Coil/Wires went around 100K miles, started throwing Check-Engine. Changed plugs while I was at it.

Death Wobble around 105K miles, replaced alot. Bad Tires & Worn Trackbar end the root causes.

The Good: I don't burn oil! Always use Mob1.

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate

Last edited by DiscoBayJoe; 02-24-2014 at 09:33 PM.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
How did you manage to get any of that done under warranty with those miles on it? I was told by 3 different dealers that the life time warranty pretty much only covered engine or transmission failure. I think I need to go read the fine print. I would really like the Ripp long tube headers, but I would be just fine with warrantied stock manifolds.

When I took it in to the dealer (Yakima WA, the armpit of hell) for the 5 year inspection, I mentioned that I think they are cracked and asked if they could look at them. They said they had never heard of them cracking and it would be $225 for them to take a look.

I bought the extended warranty on top of the lifetime powertrain warranty, which basically gives me bumper to bumper, unlimited mileage lifetime warranty. It's pretty much paid for itself now. I had to get everything repaired before the dealer would pass me for the 5 year inspection. My dealer is actually pretty good regarding warranty repairs....knocking on wood they remain that way. I didn't think they'd do the exhaust manifold because the rest of my exhaust is beat up, but they did.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:

So let me get this straight, you come in here asking a retarded question that would involve a crystal ball or statistical probability calculations that even Google doesn't have enough computation power to calculate and you want to bitch about a single sarcastic response?

This forum has sub categories to help us bond and share information on various subjects.

To answer your question, I can guarantee your driver seat will need to be replaced from the 50 lbs of extra sand that has been riding there with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
So let me get this straight, you come in here asking a retarded question that would involve a crystal ball or statistical probability calculations that even Google doesn't have enough computation power to calculate and you want to bitch about a single sarcastic response?

This forum has sub categories to help us bond and share information on various subjects.

To answer your question, I can guarantee your driver seat will need to be replaced from the 50 lbs of extra sand that has been riding there with you.
Why the hell is the question retarded? I am not asking for a crystal ball reading, I am looking for experiences of others who have more than 100K miles on their JK. The responses have been informative. Funny how it's the guys with 1000's of posts on forums who always need to make every thread some sort of joke. Maybe I do have sand in my vagina, but at least I was out playing in the sand when it got there, unlike you, who was sitting at your computer posting stupid insults on a Jeep forum (what was your post count? Like 5000 something?) rather than outdoors with your Jeep. Looks like you joined in April 2011, you have made 5700 and change worth of posts. That's close to 7 per day.
I was way to busy in April of 2011 exploring the bush in Alaska to sit and make 7 posts a day, instead I was not only getting sand in my vagina, but mosquitoes, mud, salmon guts, and AVgas where getting shoved up there too. Yet, I still made time to put 100K on my JK, and much of it was still on dirt roads. 1000's of miles of them. So sorry for getting my sandy vagina all up in your little social network with questions about things that actually apply to JK's. Post on couch wheeler.

BTW, I actually DO need a new drivers seat.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

post #19 of 21 Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

There is no way anyone can predict what will fail on your Jeep even with the information you provided, furthermore, what other people have had fail is not going to help you when everyone drives and maintains their vehicles differently. These are facts.

Also, everything you're asking people to serve up to you on a platter is available in the tech section if you weren't so self importantly expecting people to do the work for you. Maybe if you used the time you just spent with your clever retort on fucking reading instead, you'd have your answers.

I have a large post count because I spend time here getting to know the people that reside here ALONG WITH reading and asking questions. I know a lot about JK's now thanks to my time here. If you're so fucking smart, why come here and ask all of these high post count idiots what could go wrong with your Jeep? Eh?

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
If you're so fucking smart, why come here and ask all of these high post count idiots what could go wrong with your Jeep? Eh?
because he's too busy driving on dirt roads in Alaska.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #21 of 21 Old 02-25-2014, 03:28 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
because he's too busy driving on dirt roads in Alaska. :laughing2:
Good point, and I just couch wheeled my crossmember flat, my gas tank skid is showing all of the ribbing from my computer chair abuse, and this video was made with CGI...

Back Way to Crown King 4-7-13 - YouTube

:lol:

Yeah, granted, I don't wheel as often as i'd like, when I do it bends or breaks crap.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode