Looking for advice on new sound system - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Looking for advice on new sound system

Hi there all, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I currently own a 2009 jeep wrangler 2dr with the Infinity sound package. Recently I decided the bass just wasn't enough so I started looking for an upgrade. I'm pretty satisfied with the speakers other than the sub so all I wanted to do was increase the bass and leave everything else as stock as possible, so as not to attract thieves (big problem where I am). Since I don't have the knowledge/tools/time to do it myself I went with a $1000 budget to Certified radio here in Edmonton for a quote. What I ended up choosing was a single JL w3 12inch sub, a Pioneer gmd8601 amp and one of their pre-made (Bassworx) sealed box's. I had the sales guy come sit in my ride and listen to my Infinity speakers. though I like them now I was worried the addition of a better sub might drown them out, requiring me to drop even more money for new door speakers. He assured me my speakers sounded clean and loud and that I wouldn't run into that problem. He said if I was really worried I could purchase a 4 channel Pioneer amp for $50 more that would allow me to add new door speakers down the line If I really wanted to.

That all being said, I have the following questions.

I am having some concerns about the Pioneer amp only because the sales guy didn't seem that hot on it at first. He first offered me a $40 JL amp that I felt was more than I needed. I then pointed out the Pioneer for $250 met the w3's req's and asked why I couldn't use that to save money. He told me *it wont sound as good* but couldn't explain or demonstrate to me this difference. He then went back to ask his manager about the Pioneer amp. The manager told him they had installed lots of w3's with the Pioneer amp and it sounded / worked great. All that back and forth left me wondering if this is a good amp choice or not. Could someone fill me in? Keeping in mind all I want to do is run the w3 at its sweet spot and possibly add two new door speakers if I get the $50 more 4 chan version.

The Bassworx sealed box he wanted to sell me has 1 cu ft of space. The w3 requires 1.125 cu ft of space. Will my box be to small? will that lack of .125 cu ft really make any difference or am I safe to go with this box?

I inquired about a way to theft proof the sub box. Really the only option was to bolt it down to a piece of wood or the frame. I'm leaning towards bolting it in even though I will lose space. Anyone see any issues with my having them do this? Got a better solution? (stealth box is awesome but too much money for my budget).

The sales guy assured me they could simply disconnect my old 8inch sub and use the existing wires for that to run the W3, with a wire kit just being needed for the amp. He told me the existing wiring was plenty good enough for just one sub and that it was saving me from having to pay them to run all new wires. When I ran this by a buddy of mine he had concerns that if they did that the existing wiring might not be good enough and cause the W3 to sound crappy and or my lights to flicker etc. Can anyone weigh in on this, will I be safe or is the sale guy full of it?

I'm still pretty green to the car audio world so any tips advice you guys have would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to pull the trigger on this thing Monday or Tuesday so if you see anything else I may have got wrong or forgot please mention it!

-Waffles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-23-2014, 11:40 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I have a Pioneer GM-D8500 (older model than yours) and I had it driving a DVC Infinity REF1262W AND two REF1060W subs in a series/parallel configuration. It was insanely loud and solid. The sales guy was doing just that, selling. JL makes quality amps and subs, but when you get into the Class D Pioneer, it's quality. The loss of airspace is something I wouldn't be happy with. A lot of engineering goes into JL subs and when they have an airspace requirement, it's for a reason. Having a loss of airspace can result in odd frequency attenuation and additional power loss from having to work harder to compress the air in that space. I prefer to build my own boxes using the airspace requirements of the driver in question to ensure proper sound, just my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode