What have you broken? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What have you broken?

As the title states. Curious to see what breaks due to hard wheeling.

We could all benifit from hearing where the problem areas are that we might have not addressed yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

my pride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #3 of 23 Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Front U Joints, rear tailights..

few dents and dings and ALOT of scrapes !

other than that, no major breaks or failures...

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Rock God

The boot on the front driveshaft.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 AM
JKO Addict!

driveshafts, axle shafts, ripped brackets off, caught fire, backed into tree and broke the hard top, snapped sector shaft in two, snapped tie rod, broke drag link, a couple of tires, have some pretty good pieces missing from lip one of my wheels.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 23 Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Rock God

Ball joints, valve stems, tires, Hilift smacking into my hardtop inside and bulging the fiberglass outside, dents, scratches, ripped fenders off, dented oil pan (need skid), drive shaft boot etc.

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #7 of 23 Old 02-23-2014, 02:38 PM
It never ends...

Axles (lost track of how many), R/P, steering brackets, C's, axle tube, computer, seat mounts, frame (3x), winch, tranny (3x), drive shaft (several times), long arms, long arm mounts, brake lines, rear lights (I carry spares now), track bar, t-case (3x when I had a 4sp), tcase bolts, evap canister, tie rod.

Not too much trouble the last couple years. Had to repair the frame, and a cracked long arm. Rex is pretty tough now. Before he got beefy TnT parts he broke a lot (but really wasn't Rex yet).

Going to big tires and high HP with building the jeep up to handle it was a mistake.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #8 of 23 Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Rock God

Front axles both - fix rcv's

Swaybar links - due to making a 4" lift to a 6" lift without extending the links. The front swaybar would flip forward at times when unlocked, and this caused the links to get bent over the steering. Fixed by extending these. Ripped 2 tires due to the same which is very frustrating. It was a needless accident and cost a lot of money to replace the tires.

Bent up weak aluminium skid plates- not fixed yet. Should have went steel for the center skid is at least thick metal. Other skids can be aluminium if you want. I haven't hit the evac, engine skid or deformed the front skid yet. Destroyed the muffler skid but I just left it off and found that it was not needed. It just decreased departure angle enough to destroy the skid, so why bother.

Other than that I have mechanical issues with the following.
Oil cooler in the condenser - fix by pass cooler and use after market cooler. It's not in tank like the 2012 or later jks.
PS box got sloppy at sector shaft - fix done was hydraulic ram and rebuilt steering box from WTO.
Cooling fan does not come on at times- fix is turn off the key and turn it on again. I rely on super chips trail dash to let me know it is happening sooner than it boiling over. I have tried a lot of things to fix it but have only come down to it being a intermittent problem caused by the PCM.
Currently have a speed sensor error on the right side of jeep. Replaced the front sensor with no resolved so now will look at replacing the rear. Hope that fixes it.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #9 of 23 Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Granite Guru

I do consider myself a gentle wheeler. Only thing I have really broken to date has been a valve stem when I had my 09 Sahara with the rigid valve stems. Everything else is just cosmetic.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited

Its almost done!!!!!!!!!!!
-Dan Jones
post #10 of 23 Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Every time I check in on this thread I remember something else..stock tie rod, soft top, muffler…

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #11 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 AM
Rock God

Oh yeah I remember something else too.

Seized tiered adjuster sleeve. Went to ruff stuff tierod. I love it.

Axle shaft rusted and seized into unit bearing. When I got rcv's I had to get a new bearing. I now put anti seize on everything except the inside of the brake pads lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #12 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Granite Guru

tie rods, ball joints, u joints, front shaft x2, evap canister, ripped an abs sensor out from a branch, a soft top, tail light, few other minor things as well.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Granite Guru

The bank!!!
post #14 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 06:52 AM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmike74 View Post
The bank!!!
Kid's college fund. (sorry, kids.)

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #15 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Front track bar bracket twice (Diff side) rear track bar bracket (also diff side)
front axle u-joints, rear drive shaft, 4wheel drive selector cable end, and one windshield by dropping my Kargo cage.

I almost forgot I broke a drag link and tie rod by hitting a well pump

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."

Last edited by insanitize; 02-26-2014 at 07:09 AM.
post #16 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

tie rod, steering stabilizer, stock rear bumper, license plate holder (held on with zip ties), rear drive shafts, t-case shifter, creased oil pan (now skidded thanks to ASFIR), front drive shaft.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #17 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Wheeler

Rear brake line, front wheel bearing, bashed oil pan.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Wheeler

Tie rod, drag link, steering stabilizer, rear license plate bracket, bent soft top frame, stock driveshaft boot, muffler, also ripped out a fuel line.

2012 JKU - 37" MTRs, RIPP Supercharger, ProRock44, 4.88s, ARB lockers F/R, RCVs, Reid knuckles, Poly'd steering, armor/skids, bunch of other stuff.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Granite Guru

Broke or bent: the bank, valve stem, drag link, tie rod, front brake line, steering box, broke one wheel, pretty much destroyed 3 more wheels, clock spring, drive shaft boots, license plate holder, 3 stock rear bumpers, only 2 tires, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #20 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Rock God

Broke: My wallet, countless axle shafts up front, outer knuckle, a few ring and pinions front and rear, carrier front and rear, rear axle side track bar bracket, fender, hard top, couple front drive shafts, ball joints....
Bent: Couple body panels and just about everything under the Jeep, skid plate, oil pan, brackets....

"I used CAD. Cardboard aided design... "
post #21 of 23 Old 02-27-2014, 03:02 PM

Rear Drive Shaft needed ASAP Temecule/Murrieta ca

I broke my rear drive shaft and need a stock replacement ASAP. Anyone know where I can pick one up? 07' Auto 2dr JK rear DriveShaft

Nick

Last edited by R8TRIZD; 02-27-2014 at 04:47 PM.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

D30 spiders and R&P, tie rod, front trackbar turned to rubber, both rear LCA's, hardtop, rocker and rocker guard, stock exhaust...

And I think I'm up to 3 rear shocks this season...

Nothing too bad. Only wasn't able to make it home once.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

Rolled my TJ, so most every body part. Suspension was fine.

Punctured a hole in the gas tank of my TJ when I installed a ford 8.8 in it and put one of the track bar bolts in the wrong way, luckily the hole was half way up the tank so I didn't lose too much gas and had enough to get off the trail and home.

2012 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Gecko Green!
6" longarm, 40" tires, 4:88's Synergy inner/outer sleeves, trussed, c's and hvy duty ball joints,Tom Woods DS f/r, Bush Whacker Flat Fenders.
RSE Rear Bumper, Smitty Stinger front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode