Daystar Hood Wranglers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-22-2014, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Daystar Hood Wranglers

Has anyone installed these in the winter? I know the instructions say 70 degrees or higher but I had these on my old TJ and they worked fine in the winter. I just can't remember what time of year it was I put them on. Also by winter I mean NORTH DAKOTA type winter, ( Not Texas or Arizona Winters).
If I can't install these because of the cold then I may just say to hect with it and order the rugged ridge hood latches. They are way more expensive but I can install those in the cold if I need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-22-2014, 06:38 AM
Wheeler

Why don't you prep everything (remove the old ones and do whatever installation you can on the new ones) while leaving the Daystar rubber in your house next to the heater, then install the rubber quickly so that it's still pliable... problem solved!

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-22-2014, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

yeah I was thinking about doing that. But I think they would cool off quickly at -1 degree this morning, our high temp today is a 8 degrees above 0. How ever my previous experience with these tells me that temp doesn't really have an affect on the rubber. My old TJ didn't seem any stiffer in summer or winter.
I guess i'll try them and if they break i'll order the rugged ridge ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Granite Guru

I've used a blow dryer on the daystar on my first jk. I recently put them on my current jeep. I brought our space heater to the garage and let them warm up while I pulled the stockers off. Granted, the temps in your area are quite a bit colder but the space heater worked perfectly and I would imagine it would work for you as well.

Mike M

2013 2dr rubi
MC 2.5", Fox RR TF tuned shocks, TF carrier, Viair, TL's and so on...... still on stock tires
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-22-2014, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We I just finished installing my Daystar Hood Wranglers. It is Feb 22, 2014 and its a balmy 9 degrees Fahrenheit. The instructions say it should be 70 degrees or higher, but I think that was put on there to satisfy some customers cause they are really tight when you 1st close them. I attached the upper half of the latch inside the house so all I had to do was go out to the Jeep and put the bottom bolt through, tighten, and latch it. The 1st one I did I used a blow dryer to heat it up good before latching it. Was really tight and no stretching, second one I put the upper half of the latch on in the house just like the 1st one but this time when I put the bottom bolt in I did not use the dryer to heat up the strap. I just snapped it closed and it was the same as the 1st side. So temperature really has no affect on these just like I thought.
I had these on my 03 TJ for a couple of years and they did not loosen up even after a couple of years. They stayed nice and tight just like they are suppose to do. I loved these things on my TJ and solved the hood flutter, I am sure these will be just as good on my JK. Its a well worth upgrade to the stock rubber latches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode