If you were to do it all over.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

If you were to do it all over....

I stole this from my G8 board. If you where to mod anything differently, buy a different jeep, hell not even buy a Jeep, or is your current jeep everything you could dream of? What would you do?
I'll go first, My Jeep came with a rear Black tubbed bumper. I hate it. I want to hack it to make look more aggressive, and not so plain. Cheers

Nick, I use the word AWESOME a lot.
2007 'Rescue Green' JKU
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 04:15 AM
Granite Guru

I would have gotten a silver one, made sure i had 3.730's.. instead of the salesman lying to me. . Or tried to get a rubi

Sent with Autoguide while plotting world domination!

2012 Wrangler Unlimted Sahara SOLD
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
2in lift,KDSS, 285/70/17 Terragrapplers.
2010 Mustang GT
5spd, glass roof..loaded
SLP Loudmouth axle backs and Roush CAI..wifeys ride.

Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda
With aerodynamics like a barn and the rolling resistance of a tank can only do so well.
post #3 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Buy an X throw 60's under her and be done. But in reality I don't think I would change a thing. It has been a learning experience and my knowledge has grown with the jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

I also would go with an x/sport, manual door locks and windows. Dyna 60 and 44/60. Everything else the same. It was fun getting there.
post #5 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Rock God

Buying a JKU (family grew), and a sport or x, Atlas, 60's, 40s, stinger front and rear bumpers, coilovers up front ORI's out back, custom double triangulated links, genright fuel cell, ls3.

I can build a fawking Badass jk in my head lol

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #6 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

its awesome to see what people would really like to do or wish they have done. keep this going!

2007 'Rescue Green' JKU
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Wheeler

Going from a a WJ to a JKRU was my dream. That being said, the only thing I would like is a different color. Don't get me wrong, I like silver... it's a safe color choice, but man wouldn't I love to have a Gecko, Orange Crush or Cosmos Blue model. Unfortunately dealers know that people look for those colors, and finding a JKRU in any of those colors is near impossible in New England!

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #8 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

Woulda bought a automatic. And done more research before lifting it and dealing with death wobble tail chasing for months because I was noob about it.
post #9 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 AM
TOK
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
I also would go with an x/sport, manual door locks and windows. Dyna 60 and 44/60. Everything else the same. It was fun getting there.
This is funny because its what I did, and sometimes regret not getting a Rubicon for the lockers and front 44!
post #10 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconquered View Post
Buying a JKU (family grew), and a sport or x, Atlas, 60's, 40s, stinger front and rear bumpers, coilovers up front ORI's out back, custom double triangulated links, genright fuel cell, ls3.

I can build a fawking Badass jk in my head lol

Sent from inside the Death Star
ORIs all around!!!
post #11 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Wheeler

Although I like my current jeep, it's not the one I really want.

I was stuck with picking something off the lot, since my Cherokee at that time was dying and would not make it home. It was 17yrs old, and I was tired of fixing it all of the time...great Jeep it was though.

My next Jeep, I'm going to do like I did when buying my wife her Patriot. We built it online, took the printout to the dealer and said "We want this...exactly...no exceptions" They ordered it, and we saved about $9K off of anything they had on the lot, and I feel we got a better package too.

That was the best vehicle buying experience I've had.

I'm going to build my Unlimited online this next year and have it ordered exactly how I want it. I'm still putting together a list of what I want in it though.

2009 JK X 2dr
2011 Patriot FDII
post #12 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 11:14 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Believe it or not I wouldn't change a thing..maybe

I came across the JKU when I was just flirting with the idea of getting a new ride, just happened to be what I would have wanted if I was looking for one.

As far as upgrades. checking in here religiously and doing research has led me to not be disappointed with any of my upgrades, and I have only had two swap out one part (smitty rock rails) for an upgrade.. other than that I love each and every mod and they have worked our great.

I sometimes go back and forth about the 3.5 and 37's as opposed to the 2.5 and 35's but every time I wheel it i don't leave disappointed !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #13 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOK View Post
This is funny because its what I did, and sometimes regret not getting a Rubicon for the lockers and front 44!
From both warranty and word of mouth, stock 44's are really only strong enough and set up for 33's small lift, no power adders and good, but not hard wheeling. For a v8, 37's and light to medium wheeling I feel like I am taking my chances.
Plus the water pervious smartbar is junk and a waste of money as far as I am concerned.
post #14 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

I would have lifted it sooner. I waited until 50K miles and payoff before doing anything radical.

I'd probably go with a Sport and do an axle swap, an antirock, and an atlas instead of the rubi package.

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #15 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Rock God

Currently have a 2010 JKUR, black, auto, hardtop, leveling kit, 35s. Still on the fence if I would get a 2 door over 4 door. Flame Red or Rescue green, stick, soft top, half doors, go straight to 3.5" and 37s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.

Last edited by TRAUMAhead; 02-22-2014 at 02:51 PM.
post #16 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Granite Guru

I would have got the manual windows and a rubi for the d44 up front. As I think that the 4.10 would have kept me from wanting to regear. Probably would have purchased the nav as well. Just to keep the factory radio. I also like the Dozer color and am happy with it but wish they had commando green out when I purchased.

Thanks,
Bill
post #17 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I wish my JKU came with the nav too. that would be awesome. it would be even more awesome if it was a rubi. haha shit, I almost got stuck in a little mud today. my first time off road. loved searching for hours for places to wheel. Im so thankful for my JEEP!

2007 'Rescue Green' JKU
post #18 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Rock God

I would have built my 07 JK Rubi 2 dr 6 speed with:
  • 4.88s
  • 35s
  • Rock Krawler lift (netting 2.5" with minimal bumpstopping and 11" travel shocks),
  • welded-on sliders, i.e. VKS
  • Rock Hard engine skid
  • Poison Spyder BFH front and rear bumpers
  • Warn M8000 with synthetic line
  • gussetted C's
  • Synergy ball joints
  • OR-Fab rear tire carrier
  • trimmed stock flares
  • RIPP supercharger

I would have never gone taller than 35s. I could still do about 90% of what I do now on 40s, with 60s, hydro assist, etc., etc.

The money I spent going larger than 35s could have bought a V8 rock buggy instead. So, the body-damage inducing, buggy type trails would be run in the rock buggy instead of in my JK.

Still, it is fun to take a JK where the buggies go, but I stopped counting when my mods exceeded $20,000.

post #19 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
Still, it is fun to take a JK where the buggies go, but I stopped counting when my mods exceeded $20,000.
Spoken like a true financial planner!! Gotta love it!

My next build is going to be a 97 Toyota Tacoma extended cab, LS motor, 4L60E, Spidertrax axles, rear mounted radiator and 40 or 42" tires. Full exo cage. And then try, desperately, to keep up with LeftHandRubi on trails!!
post #20 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 04:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can say, honestly, that I'm completely happy with my current set-up …and I've tried about everything.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #21 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
Spoken like a true financial planner!! Gotta love it!

My next build is going to be a 97 Toyota Tacoma extended cab, LS motor, 4L60E, Spidertrax axles, rear mounted radiator and 40 or 42" tires. Full exo cage. And then try, desperately, to keep up with LeftHandRubi on trails!!
thats going to be a monster! wow. yea i am am just over the 1K

2007 'Rescue Green' JKU
post #22 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Rock God

I would have never bought the 35's and went straight to 40's. But in retrospect, it gave me time to cut the metal out to fit the 40's and I sold the 35's for a pretty good price.

I would have trussed my front axle housing before I busted the tubes loose and had to chain jack the tubes back in and get it all straight and then custom truss it.

I would have gotten the Ten factory or RCV 300M rear shafts before I bent the stockers flanges.

Now I should go RCV's before I go back to 40's from the 38's I had to get to drive up to Mass. and back to AZ. (been back in AZ for 2 weeks now, did Highway to hell, Axle Alley, and Hackberry) and keep the stockers for trail spares before I tear them up.

Besides that, I wouldn't do one thing different

From today on Hackberry powerline trail (on 38's for now)

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14

Last edited by 10jk; 02-22-2014 at 06:00 PM.
post #23 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 05:55 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm on my 3rd JK... So I've learned from the others.

Building it right the first time and getting what I want instead of buying a cheaper alternate.
No regrets thus far.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #24 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Granite Guru

I must admit I am pretty happy with my build this time. I planned out my build before I bought the jeep. Saved the money and did almost everything I wanted in one mod frenzy. My previous vehicle (2007 charger srt8) I would just see stuff and buy what I could afford and ended up buying cheap crap that I eventually replaced because that's what I could afford at the time. I lost so much money pulling parts off to upgrade them.
post #25 of 77 Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Rock God

Original plan was to not touch anything with a new white JKUR but that failed.
If I could do it again, I would start with a JKU sport in Cosmo blue. Then 60's, atlas, LS swap, 38's blah blah blah.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode