Whose towing JKs with 1/2 tons? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage
Whose towing JKs with 1/2 tons?

My old F150 is nearing EOL. My JKU is evolving and getting heavier in the process and about to get moreso with 60's and after the 37's die down, 40's. I'd like to get to the place of towing it for 4+hr drives - save on wear and tear, tires, if I break that far away, etc. Those longer trips would happen about two or three times/year.

I need a truck for my work, put around 13,000 just in work miles on it per year and size-wise, 1/2 tons fit all my work needs (ie 3/4's are overkill for work and gas $ does come into play since it my $.)

When I look at towing threads, I don't come across 1/2 ton pickups - always see 3/4 ton +. Is there any particular reason why to this? My old F150 could never tow that weight, but looking at specs on the newer 1/2 tons, seems on paper most of them should work no problem when properly configured.

Ex. I'm liking the new 5.3 2014 Silverado. The specs on the configuration I'm looking at have max trailering at 11,100 and payload 1,751. Spitballing, say JKU is 6200 and a trailer is 2400. That leaves 2,500 for payload/passengers till max. Seems like I'd safely be under max. What, if anything, am I missing here?

So whose towing with the half tons and your thoughts on it?

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Rock God

Whose towing JKs with 1/2 tons?

I tow my JK with a 2013 F150 that has a 5.0 V8. On 6+ hr drives I get about 12mpg pulling a 18' flatbed. Pulls great.

I also used to pull a 10,000lb 14' enclosed with an F150 for work. I pulled it about 35,000 miles.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Rock God

Check out the Ecoboost. Buddy loves his and says it towed better than his previous fx4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Rock God

I tow my JKU on an 18+2 PJ trailer with my 2008 Sequoia with the 5.7L and tow rating of 10500 or so. Loaded up for weekend camping and towing up to Big Bear was ok returning about 11-12mpg. Coming down the JV side the brakes over heated setting off some alarm I'd never heard before close to the bottom. Haven't heard it since either. I would suggest making sure your trailer has brakes on both axles and they're 5200lb axles. Without the weight distributing hitch it could get a little flighty in steering going over bumps at highway speeds.

Adding the weight distributing hitch made a world of difference driving from SoCal to Huntsville, AL with the Jeep and trailer packed with all the stuff movers couldn't take or we wanted to take with us. Honestly we were probably over GVRW for both tow rig and trailer but it took it all in stride.

Most folks I know who step up to 3/4 tons enjoy the peace of mind in added stability/braking of all the larger components designed for heavier loads. The majority of the time I DD my JK on 37s and only tow when it's a long camping weekend type family trip. l look at it as the sizeable investment for a larger tow rig for the very small percentage of time it would serve that purpose doesn't pay off. Most half tons today have tow ratings that kill what only 3/4 tons of the 80s could have done when we were towing pulling trucks to county fairs.

That's my .02

Mike

Last edited by lamar95x4; 02-18-2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spacing
post #5 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 04:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamar95x4 View Post
I tow my JKU on an 18+2 PJ trailer with my 2008 Sequoia with the 5.7L and tow rating of 10500 or so. Loaded up for weekend camping and towing up to Big Bear was ok returning about 11-12mpg. Coming down the JV side the brakes over heated setting off some alarm I'd never heard before close to the bottom. Haven't heard it since either. I would suggest making sure your trailer has brakes on both axles and they're 5200lb axles. Without the weight distributing hitch it could get a little flighty in steering going over bumps at highway speeds.

Adding the weight distributing hitch made a world of difference driving from SoCal to Huntsville, AL with the Jeep and trailer packed with all the stuff movers couldn't take or we wanted to take with us. Honestly we were probably over GVRW for both tow rig and trailer but it took it all in stride.

Most folks I know who step up to 3/4 tons enjoy the peace of mind in added stability/braking of all the larger components designed for heavier loads. The majority of the time I DD my JK on 37s and only tow when it's a long camping weekend type family trip. l look at it as the sizeable investment for a larger tow rig for the very small percentage of time it would serve that purpose doesn't pay off. Most half tons today have tow ratings that kill what only 3/4 tons of the 80s could have done when we were towing pulling trucks to county fairs.

That's my .02

Mike
Thanks for the info. I gave up my 3/4 ton and trailer when I got the JK back in '09. Last year I got a new F150 with V8 as I missed having a truck for a DD. Didn't want to live with another big diesel and have found that the 1/2 ton with V8 is near perfect for my needs PROVIDED it can handle towing the JK occasinally. I'm pretty confident in the truck's ablity to tow the JK on longer hauls, like to Moab or over to Alamosa, but all this is provided I keep the trailer weight manageable. Starting to shop for a trailer. My JKUR tips in at 5500 lbs, and the F150s tow rating is something like 8-10K lbs, depending upon which chart you read. So, I figure I have some weight to play with in terms of a trailer. Would like to get a Featherlite but cost is putting me off. Anyone have some good alternatives that would come in at like 1,500 lbs?

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Hah! Forgot I started this thread until an update popped up. I was all ready to pull the trigger on a '14 Chevy 6.2, until multiple Chevy dealers started jerking me around. I ended up getting a '14 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 CC with lots of bells and whistles for just a bit more than 6.2. Really happy with the rear coil spring ride for a 3/4 ton. Like lamar95x4 said - I too now fully fall into the camp of piece of mind when towing. Rented an 18ft PJ trailer and towed out to Moab a few weeks ago. Don't even know it's behind me and can accelerate with ease on uphills. Still new truck, but averaged 13.4 mpg there and back. I am fully in love with the exhaust brake. Certain the 6.2 would have been capable, but happy knowing I have a lot of capacity left over. Wider and taller than the Silverado, but actually 2 inches shorter so residential driving so far hasn't brought the suck.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode