Clockspring misdiagnosed by dealer?! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-09-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Clockspring misdiagnosed by dealer?!

So, after reading up on what everyone had to say about the Airbag light and dinging for my 08 JK, I decided to pursue the, "I might get some money back from Jeep corporate if this is the culprit" route.

After a call to Jeep and a case opened, I went in to the local dealer and explained what was up. All the classic symptoms of the clockspring, Could I get an official diagnosis of "Clockspring" so that I could follow up with Jeep corporate?

No problem. It took them 3.5 hours to "diagnose" that the problem was, in fact, NOT the clockspring. It was the airbag module itself which had gone bad. $800 + labor, they had one in stock, could have it fixed within an hour. Yeah. Crap. No.

So, they washed and vacuumed the JK, gave it back to me clean and there was NO CHARGE for the diagnosis. I got a printout with the estimate and the culprit.

Being a jackass by nature, I didn't believe them. I also didn't want to spend nearly 1,000 getting this light fixed. So, Amazon (via a dealer in North Carolina) sold me a new clockspring for about $175. At the same time, I went to QuadraTec and bought the cruise control upgrade for $300.

A couple of hours later, and voila! No more airbag light, new cruise works, and I'm up $500+.

Now that it's all taken care of, what, if anything, would you recommend I do regarding the dealer? This bad diagnosis could have cost me big time if I had listened to them. But, they didn't charge me for it. On the other hand, Chrysler/Jeep could still pay me back for the new clockspring I had to replace.

Should I leave it alone? Or ask the dealer what's up with their bad and expensive diagnosis? Isn't this...well...pretty much what they DO for a living? I hate to be a jerk, but this kind of pisses me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-10-2014, 04:25 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I think in the recall for the clockspring there was a paragraph that said if you have already paid to have it fix you send the receipt to chrysler and they would reimburse you for it.

However I can't remember if the 08 was covered by the clockspring warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode