Tie rod question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-08-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tie rod question

Both ends on my tie rod need raplacing but I was looking on quadratec and a picture shows the passenger side joint being part of the full rod. Is this the case or is the end removable just like the driver side end?
Below is the picture Im referring too.
I also need the passenger side drag link end. What do you guys recommend there? The only one they sell at qtec is a Crown replacement. I did some reading and a lot of people didnt talk to highly of crown.
Lastly, are there any complete tie rods or drag links that are moderately cheap? If Im already buying new ends I may just go ahead and upgrade the tie rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Granite Guru

Cheap is what cheap does ! You are already looking to buy the cheap stuff with Crown and Quadratec. You can continue being cheap and have to replace these parts over and over or just buy the stuff that will last. You can also buy the cheap stuff from your dealership that you are already having to replace. If you really want the good stuff, post up your desire here and we will help you find it if need be.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
Cheap is what cheap does ! You are already looking to buy the cheap stuff with Crown and Quadratec. You can continue being cheap and have to replace these parts over and over or just buy the stuff that will last. You can also buy the cheap stuff from r dealership that you are already having to replace. If you really want the good stuff, post up your desire here and we will help you find it if need be.
^X2. You can replace them with cheap parts, but at this point it would be a good idea to take a serious look into what you want to do with the rig and post up any questions you have here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-08-2014, 10:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Tie rod question

Not worth is as mentioned. Spend another few bucks and upgrade the tie rod. I run the Synergy unit. RK, Carolina MC are other options. RUFF stuff offers a kit with off set joints if you have the means to DIY with the right wheels/backspacing. Oscar on the forum pieced together a kit. Not sure where he's at with that though.
As far as the drag link, the passenger side eats up joints. I went through 2 stockers, bought another before finally upgrading. Again, Synergy was my choice.
You def have a few options over the stock crap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers

Last edited by kjeeper10; 02-08-2014 at 10:26 PM.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Wheeler

Agree with all above...Ruff Stuff is what I have gone with, for the money its tough to beat
post #6 of 22 Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Granite Guru

Check out synergy heavy duty tie rod, if you wheel it, then you may want it or something similar.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Granite Guru

+2 on the offset gm tierod ends ...easy to find
if you damage one ... 1.5 .25 wall Dom is pretty tough also
you could always do 7/8 x3/4 chromoly rod ends
post #8 of 22 Old 02-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWho View Post
Agree with all above...Ruff Stuff is what I have gone with, for the money its tough to beat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLSE21B View Post
+2 on the offset gm tierod ends ...easy to find
if you damage one ... 1.5 .25 wall Dom is pretty tough also
you could always do 7/8 x3/4 chromoly rod ends
This. I have been happy with mine.

I believe 50" bar is what you need. Research that to be sure or I can measure mine with the bungs. They can figure out the bar length for you with that.
I found a ticketed tig welder. I wanted it to be strong and not break on the highway as that would be a disaster.

Some have reamed the taper in the knuckles so the tierod is the size of the gm 1 ton. I found it be an ok fit as is. I used the old tierod end grease boots to hold up the gm tierod end grease boot. I find that this works. If I find someone with a reamer I will consider reaming it.

As for the drag link mine is factory.I went with hydraulic steering. It takes the load off those parts so it is ok and not needing to be replaced.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I went ahead and went with the Moog tie rod ends. Maybe Ill upgrade to the RK tie rod later on but right now tires are a priority.

I cant seem to decide what I need for the drag link though. Is there a direct replacement for the passenger side half that Im just overlooking? Also, can the Synergy high steer drag link be used in the stock, non flipped, configuration without needed any changes (backspacing?)?
And would I see any advantages from going ahead and flipping it?

The Synergy price isnt too bad @ $200 so getting the new drag link wouldnt be a big deal if its really worth it.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-11-2014, 06:39 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS View Post
I went ahead and went with the Moog tie rod ends. Maybe Ill upgrade to the RK tie rod later on but right now tires are a priority.

I cant seem to decide what I need for the drag link though. Is there a direct replacement for the passenger side half that Im just overlooking? Also, can the Synergy high steer drag link be used in the stock, non flipped, configuration without needed any changes (backspacing?)?
And would I see any advantages from going ahead and flipping it?

The Synergy price isnt too bad @ $200 so getting the new drag link wouldnt be a big deal if its really worth it.
Yes, the Synergy Drag Link can be used in the factory position as well as a flipped high steer configuration as well. Depending on your lift height you might want to look at flipping it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #11 of 22 Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Currently Im at stock height (and will be for a short while at least).
I plan on a 2.5" lift when I can though.

In the stock configuration does it require the tapered drilling or is it a direct replacement?
post #12 of 22 Old 02-12-2014, 04:13 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:

In the stock configuration does it require the tapered drilling or is it a direct replacement?
I have been told direct replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #13 of 22 Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

As Pig said, yeah it can be ran in either the stock configuration or you can flip it. It all depends on how much lift you are running. I have a RK 2.5 x factor and run my synergy drag link in the stock configuration.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Yea the synergy unit uses their metal on metal 1 ton (?) replaceable ends on both ends. This allows rotation of the bar to be run either stock/flipped . If it had a solid joint on one end, you would not be able to do this.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #15 of 22 Old 02-13-2014, 04:25 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

I think he was asking if the knuckle needs to be modified (reamed or drill/insert) for the Synergy end. I haven't heard directly from Synergy, but have read there is no modification needed to run it without flipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #16 of 22 Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 AM
JKowners Vendor

Just an Fyi, we will be releasing our new Off-Road Pro Tie Rod for JK's.

• 1.625" Diameter Solid 7075 AL Bar
  • Turn Buckle Style Adjustability
  • Massive Outer Tie Rod Ends
  • Includes Steering Stabilizer Mounting Bracket and Hardware
  • *Requires 17" or Larger Diameter Wheels with no More than 4.5" of B.S.
  • The Knuckles will use Straight 18mm Bolts that are Included and Will Need to be Drilled out Accordingly.
  • Suggested Retail Price of $525

RK

Last edited by Rock Krawler Suspension; 02-13-2014 at 09:23 AM.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
I think he was asking if the knuckle needs to be modified (reamed or drill/insert) for the Synergy end. I haven't heard directly from Synergy, but have read there is no modification needed to run it without flipping.
The knuckle does not need to be modified to run the Synergy replacement DL in the factory location.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #18 of 22 Old 02-13-2014, 12:00 PM
JKO Addict!

[QUOTE=Rock Krawler Suspension;2259241]Just an Fyi, we will be releasing our new Off-Road Pro Tie Rod for JK's.

• 1.625" Diameter Solid 7075 AL Bar
  • Turn Buckle Style Adjustability
  • Massive Outer Tie Rod Ends
  • Includes Steering Stabilizer Mounting Bracket and Hardware
  • *Requires 17" or Larger Diameter Wheels with no More than 4.5" of B.S.
  • The Knuckles will use Straight 18mm Bolts that are Included and Will Need to be Drilled out Accordingly.
  • Suggested Retail Price of $525

RK[/QU

post #19 of 22 Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 PM
JKO Addict!

App is acting all F-in weird.

RK ... That tie rod looks sick

post #20 of 22 Old 02-14-2014, 07:26 AM
JKowners Vendor

Thanks sir. We know it takes a beating. Those are the same ends we use on our Pure Performance Brand for Ram HD and Super Duty Steering assemblies. We are confident it is the strongest in the industry...

RK
post #21 of 22 Old 02-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Granite Guru

Spending anywhere near $500 on a tie rod is absolutely retarded. The ruffstuff tierod is beef for $135. If you bend it you may need driving lessons...not a $500 Al tie rod.

Its not a fashion show
post #22 of 22 Old 02-15-2014, 03:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueler View Post
Spending anywhere near $500 on a tie rod is absolutely retarded. The ruffstuff tierod is beef for $135. If you bend it you may need driving lessons...not a $500 Al tie rod.

While $500 is too much for me, I would have killed a ruff stuff a long time ago. They get bent quite frequently and aren't all that heavy duty..my current RK tie rod has taken some flat out abuse. Big rocks and low factory tie rod mounting take place of "driving lessons".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode