My First JK build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 Old 02-06-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My First JK build

This last weekend I bought my first JK after owning nothing but pickup trucks for over 16 years. I've built a lot of cool pickups including Baja Prerunners that I've taken all over Baja and chased every race in the SCORE series as well as Diesel trucks that I've modified extensively to run down in Baja as well. So moving up to the Northwest recently has pushed me into buying my first JK. So I went and bought new Rubicon X from Dave Smith Motors in Kellog, ID and I've started ordering up some parts and they should be landing here in the next week. I thought it would be cool to share my build with you guys. I have parts from AEM, Diablo, Magnaflow, Synergy, ATX Wheels, Nitto Tires, Readylift, ARB, SPOD, and Baja Designs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

What did you order from Readylift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #3 of 90 Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Granite Guru

Sounds like your off to a good start.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 Old 02-06-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I ordered Readylift's 4" kit with their Max Flex arms. I did some looking around and noticed they run Currie Johnny Joints and run a pretty thick DOM tube. So they looked like they could take the abuse I'm looking to dish out on them.

I also got their HD trackbars as well as their Aluminum body shocks (the spray they put down here on the roads is pretty horrendous) which I think will hold up to winters here.

post #5 of 90 Old 02-07-2014, 05:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOPP View Post
I ordered Readylift's 4" kit with their Max Flex arms. I did some looking around and noticed they run Currie Johnny Joints and run a pretty thick DOM tube. So they looked like they could take the abuse I'm looking to dish out on them.

I also got their HD trackbars as well as their Aluminum body shocks (the spray they put down here on the roads is pretty horrendous) which I think will hold up to winters here.

I've been around JK's since '09 and never heard of ReadyLift. Looks like they are big in the pickup world. The cost of their Max Flex lift is up there with the top <proven> JK lifts in the industry. Are the springs single rated?

Looks like it's going to be a nice build though. Let us know about the ride quality and off-road capability of the ReadyLift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 90 Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Granite Guru

What did you order from ARB? If lockers, why did you buy a Rubicon?
post #7 of 90 Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangmuf View Post
What did you order from ARB? If lockers, why did you buy a Rubicon?
I don't believe the rubi X comes with lockers front and rear. I think it's just bumpers, rock rails and hood.

Correct me if I'm wrong

edit: corrected myself, went online and found it does come with lockers, arb also sells on board air stuff as well as recovery gear though

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793

Last edited by Rubiconquered; 02-08-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #8 of 90 Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Good Luck with your build...you always remember your first!! LOL!!

Rodney
Famous Last Words
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"
post #9 of 90 Old 02-09-2014, 04:05 AM
Rock God

I've never heard of Ready-lift either and I've been in the Jeep game for 13 years!

for up to date product updates and specials!
Follow us on
post #10 of 90 Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 AM
Rock God

Watch out for that trackbar. I installed one on a buddy's Jeep, and it was awful. Feels like it is made out of thin wall tubing. The joints were so soft, it delayed the steering. It actually gave him death wobble as the rubber bushing sucked so bad. He returned it and threw a rock krawl we one on and all was good.
post #11 of 90 Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hi Guys, I'm just waiting for all my parts to show up before I take a picture of everything.

Yes ARB will be on-board air with a Synergy underhood compressor mount.

Readylift has hired some great talents from the desert racing suspension arena and are making some huge leaps and bounds to bring high quality suspension pieces to the market. I've always liked working with companies that are pushing for new products instead of relying just on products that they've sold in the past so I'm excited to see how well their suspension system works. I'll keep you guys in the loop.
post #12 of 90 Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Hi Guys, I'm just waiting for all my parts to show up before I take a picture of everything.

Yes ARB will be on-board air with a Synergy underhood compressor mount.

Readylift has hired some great talents from the desert racing suspension arena and are making some huge leaps and bounds to bring high quality suspension pieces to the market. I've always liked working with companies that are pushing for new products instead of relying just on products that they've sold in the past so I'm excited to see how well their suspension system works. I'll keep you guys in the loop.
You mean proven companies, like Rock Krawler that have built suspensions for Wrangler's since YJ generation? It is great to get more manufacturers on board but don't take away from the other manufacturers that have been in this Jeep thing for a long time and are proven time and time again. These manufacturers that you say "rely on products they sold in the past" continue to innovate and come out with new products to make our JK's better.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #13 of 90 Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
You mean proven companies, like Rock Krawler that have built suspensions for Wrangler's since YJ generation? It is great to get more manufacturers on board but don't take away from the other manufacturers that have been in this Jeep thing for a long time and are proven time and time again. These manufacturers that you say "rely on products they sold in the past" continue to innovate and come out with new products to make our JK's better.

-Dan
Wow this thread just took a bad turn.

I was merely stating why I chose Readylift not trying to offend you bud. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. You seem to have major brand loyalty, kudos to you.

BTW if you talk to Jeremy over at Rock Krawler tell him my buddy Cooper says hi.

Last edited by MikeOPP; 02-10-2014 at 10:22 AM.
post #14 of 90 Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So back on track. Just got my MCE fenders.

post #15 of 90 Old 02-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Wow this thread just took a bad turn.

I was merely stating why I chose Readylift not trying to offend you bud. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. You seem to have major brand loyalty, kudos to you.

BTW if you talk to Jeremy over at Rock Krawler tell him my buddy Cooper says hi.
Ooh names are dropping like bird shit.

Your statement came across as a brush under the rug towards the other proven manufacturers. I ran a Teraflex and Synergy Suspension lift, not RK so I am not a loyalist but I knows what I knows.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #16 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 02:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

That's a really nice Rubicon. Good choice with the color too. Congratulations on the purchase, you're going to enjoy it.

Now, you mentioned coming from the full size truck world... unfortunately, coming from were the key words in that statement. Don't take that to offense, cause I'm just giving it to you straight. Ready-lift is a full size truck company that happens to make a lift for the JK as well. Is it tough? Does it ride well? I don't know. But that Jeep isn't going to act, drive or feel like any full sized truck you've owned. That's why companies that make the "best" suspension systems for these vehicles usually focus mostly on Jeeps. My best advice is check your knowledge at the door, cause these Jeeps are unique. Fortunately though, they have been around long enough that people here and companies have them down to an exact science.

Anyway, enough rambling. I like those fenders a lot. Don't forget to try and get out and wheel it while it's still stock. Not only is it unbelievably capable, but you'll get a better feel for the Jeep overall. Besides, even easier trails are fun when you can't just walk over everything. I've had a blast wheeling mine while it's little.

Oh, and addressing the aluminium holding up to winters; no, it won't. The shafts will look like they are rusting through and there will be a shit load of corrosion on the shock body because of the road salt. Trust me, it's why we can't have nice things year round. Mechanically it'll be fine but it will look like garbage after 2 winters. East coast sucks like that.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan

Last edited by 2Door; 02-11-2014 at 02:36 AM.
post #17 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
That's a really nice Rubicon. Good choice with the color too. Congratulations on the purchase, you're going to enjoy it.

Now, you mentioned coming from the full size truck world... unfortunately, coming from were the key words in that statement. Don't take that to offense, cause I'm just giving it to you straight. Ready-lift is a full size truck company that happens to make a lift for the JK as well. Is it tough? Does it ride well? I don't know. But that Jeep isn't going to act, drive or feel like any full sized truck you've owned. That's why companies that make the "best" suspension systems for these vehicles usually focus mostly on Jeeps. My best advice is check your knowledge at the door, cause these Jeeps are unique. Fortunately though, they have been around long enough that people here and companies have them down to an exact science.

Anyway, enough rambling. I like those fenders a lot. Don't forget to try and get out and wheel it while it's still stock. Not only is it unbelievably capable, but you'll get a better feel for the Jeep overall. Besides, even easier trails are fun when you can't just walk over everything. I've had a blast wheeling mine while it's little.

Oh, and addressing the aluminum holding up to winters; no, it won't. The shafts will look like they are rusting through and there will be a shit load of corrosion on the shock body because of the road salt. Trust me, it's why we can't have nice things year round. Mechanically it'll be fine but it will look like garbage after 2 winters. East coast sucks like that.

Thanks bud, well sounds like you guys have a lot of knowledge. Maybe you guys can educate me on why you guys think (short arm kit to short arm) the Readylift is not up to par with the other manufacturers? And please no generic answers like "well i've been doing this for so many years and never heard of them".
post #18 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks bud, well sounds like you guys have a lot of knowledge. Maybe you guys can educate me on why you guys think (short arm kit to short arm) the Readylift is not up to par with the other manufacturers? And please no generic answers like "well i've been doing this for so many years and never heard of them".
They must be good... they cost a couple hundred dollars more than the recognized name brand mfr's.

$1900 for 8 control arms.... MC, RK, Synergy, etc are all in the 1200 range.

I hope you got a deep deep discount.
post #19 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineGuy View Post
They must be good... they cost a couple hundred dollars more than the recognized name brand mfr's.

$1900 for 8 control arms.... MC, RK, Synergy, etc are all in the 1200 range.

I hope you got a deep deep discount.
But again, what makes them not in the same category? The name?
post #20 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 AM
JKowners Vendor

We looked at Readylift at SEMA last year. The "look" like a decent lift. What we could tell and from what I halfway remember from talking with them is that the arms are DOM tubing and not solid steel like some of the other companies out. Yes they run the Johnny Joints which is a plus. Also, if I remember correctly their coils are a linear coil.

HOWEVER, this is YOUR JK and not anyone else! If your happy with it than that is all that matters! Post up some pictures when you get it up and going. Cant go wrong with pictures!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #21 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Not saying Readylift isn't up to par. Just never hear of them. I'm on a lot of forums. We know high end lifts like Rock Krawler, Metal Cloak, Synergy that have been battle tested and had the shit pounded out of them on the toughest trails in the country. When we see a new player in the market costing more than these proven kits, we're suspect.

Control arms: what type of joints? what size tubing? hollow or solid?

Springs: Single, Dual, or Triple rate? Will they sag over time like some of the less expensive manufacturers? Makes a HUGE difference in the ride and control. The Readylift springs looks to be single rate.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #22 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
We looked at Readylift at SEMA last year. The "look" like a decent lift. What we could tell and from what I halfway remember from talking with them is that the arms are DOM tubing and not solid steel like some of the other companies out. Yes they run the Johnny Joints which is a plus. Also, if I remember correctly their coils are a linear coil.

HOWEVER, this is YOUR JK and not anyone else! If your happy with it than that is all that matters! Post up some pictures when you get it up and going. Cant go wrong with pictures!

-Jason
Thanks Jason, that was basically my point. Often times on these forums people try to force their opinion on you and I just wanted to see if they had any true data to back it up.
post #23 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Not saying Readylift isn't up to par. Just never hear of them. I'm on a lot of forums. We know high end lifts like Rock Krawler, Metal Cloak, Synergy that have been battle tested and had the shit pounded out of them on the toughest trails in the country. When we see a new player in the market costing more than these proven kits, we're suspect.

Control arms: what type of joints? what size tubing? hollow or solid?

Springs: Single, Dual, or Triple rate? Will they sag over time like some of the less expensive manufacturers? Makes a HUGE difference in the ride and control. The Readylift springs looks to be single rate.
Can you explain to me what the benefits are between a single rate spring vs a multi rate spring? On-road, fast off roading, and crawling?
post #24 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM
JKowners Vendor

A linear coil or single rate coil is the same spring rate throughout the compression of the spring. A dual rate or triple rate has different spring rates to compensate for things like weight, and road conditions. Basically, a dual or even triple rate coil is going to give you a smoother ride on and off road. It will also give you better axle control as well. One of the most important things is it will would weight better. If you look at a lot of the cheaper companies out their, they run a linear or single rate coil. After time, JK guys add weight to their rigs, IE bumper, winches, tire carriers... The coils sag because they can not handle the wait due to the spring rate.

That is just a basic idea of the differences and why guys prefer a dual or triple rate coil. Hope that helps...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #25 of 90 Old 02-11-2014, 10:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Metal Cloak's dual rate coils.

, Granite,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode