Nitro Gears and rear locker - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nitro Gears and rear locker

My local off road shop has suggested using Nitro gears front and rear looking at going with 5.13's. Currently running 35's not sure if I'll get to 37's anytime soon.And we're going to lock just the rear for now. Any thoughts on the rear locker and the Nitro gears haven't heard much about them. Quoted me 1400 for front and rear gear install with master install kits, 2100 with a limited slip locker like the Tru trac and gears. Thanks for any insight..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Rock God

That seems decently priced. Gears are about 400 a set with a master install kit and a true trac locker can run up to 600$ depending on where you get it.

Seems Decent on the price, dunno if you really need a master install kit, no insight on Nitro gears, my price was based off G2 gears which are pretty good gears I think.

Edit: For the price of that locker/ limited slip, I would prob just go with a loc right. Half the cost and will prob work better. That or go all out and buy an ARB.

Just my .02

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793

Last edited by Rubiconquered; 02-05-2014 at 07:52 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Copy that, is there much difference in the loc right and true trac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Granite Guru

Here is my Nitro gears after 9 months...it's been 2 weeks and Nitro has not responded to anything. Good luck

Attachment 118489

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15

Last edited by orestespd5; 02-13-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Wheeler

I've actually had a lot of good experiences with Nitro Gear. I've run their gears on a 1000Hp Ram Diesel with 40" tires with no issues what so ever. I've got them in our new Peterson's Ultimate Adventure rig that is running a 600HP Viper motor and multiple other trail rigs.

Give them a call. They are a great bunch of guys. I know they've been really busy with the KOH race going on and their new Atlanta warehouse.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Granite Guru

I was going to wait till after KOH. But I know Northridge has called them twice and still nothing.

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

post #7 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That sucks about your experience, I've heard good and bad about the gears but anything can happen, hope you get that sorted out. Keep us posted...
post #8 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That sucks about your experience, I've heard good and bad about the gears but anything can happen, hope you get that sorted out. Keep us posted...
post #9 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Granite Guru

My gears were put in 9 months ago by a gear engineer so imo they was put in correct. Everything was going fine for 9 months and I even had the cover off 2 months ago and they looked ok to me.

This is what happened. I was climbing a small snow mount (mall crawling) and i heard a pop and it was all over. I dropped the diff cover and seen 7-10 teeth laying in the bottom. I called the place that installed my gears and he started the emails and calls the next day ( 1-27-14) And I still have not got any answers.

I did send a email today to Nitro and this is what i got back...

"Hi Brent,

Thank you for contacting us. I’m sorry you are experiencing trouble with your gears. This is the first I’ve heard of it. We’ve literally got hundreds of these out there in use and have had no issues with hardening or other QC problems. All of the gears are made in runs and go through all of the computer controlled heat treating, they are also installed into a gear lapping machine which runs them as matched sets. All of these factors bring the defect rate to such a low rate it is hardly measurable (less than 0.01%) I can say however, that installation errors are one of the number one factors that contribute to a failure. For this reason, it is essential for the potentially defective part to be returned for warranty consideration and quality control review. Typically warranty requests are arranged through the dealer you purchased them from.

-Where did you purchase the gears?

-Who did the install? And do you have any setup specs?

At any rate I’d like to help solve this matter for you."

I know for a fact all this stuff they asked for was sent over. So I called northridge and they said that they have called Nitro but the guy who handles this is at KOH. I understand this but where was he last week? Northridge said I should hear something next week. So I email nitro back and told them what NR said and this is what I got back...

"That explains it. The rep that handles Northridge is at KOH. If time is critical I would suggest purchasing another set, and if yours is found to be defective we can issue credit to the purchaser."

I live in Indiana in the country and we have 9"+ of snow and my road drifts really bad and i need 4WD to make it to the highway so i can get to work. I did get sick of waiting and went ahead and ordered new parts Wed. The only good thing is that it happened now and not 1100 miles away at Jeep beach.

Last edited by orestespd5; 02-06-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode