How long in Moab? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 02-03-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage
How long in Moab?

So a group of us from NorCal are going heading out to Moab for our pilgrimage. We are going the last week in May. Plan on doing the hard to scenic trails Moab has to offer. We haven't fully researched what exact trails, but their are some great threads on that here to do so. But what I'm wondering is how many days is a good rule of thumb to spend there? Yea, we'd never be able to to everything but hoping to not leave with the "ah crap, if we only had one more day..." feeling. 3 days full wheeling? 4 days wheeling? Other?

Time - too bad we all aren't lotto winners - only so much of it. Out there we are going to spend at least one day visiting the National Parks also non-jeepwise. Is that enough time or add another day?

We're having this conversation of if we should spend an full extra day out in Vegas while driving to Moab because of house rental availability but could shift it to staying in Moab hotel first night to get an extra day there if necessary.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-03-2014, 11:18 AM
It never ends...

You guys should wheel at Sand Hollow OHV near St George on the way to or from Moab. They have great trails and playgrounds. I like it better than Moab.

You could easily spend a week in Moab and not get bored. Three days is short.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #3 of 33 Old 02-03-2014, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I finished it in under 12 parsecs.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 02-03-2014, 02:15 PM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
I finished it in under 12 parsecs.

Wait...

A parsec is 3.085x10(16th). If you did 12 parsecs then that would be 3.7e+16 meters, or 2.3e+12 miles.

I don't think you are finished yet.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #5 of 33 Old 02-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
So a group of us from NorCal are going heading out to Moab for our pilgrimage. We are going the last week in May. Plan on doing the hard to scenic trails Moab has to offer. We haven't fully researched what exact trails, but their are some great threads on that here to do so. But what I'm wondering is how many days is a good rule of thumb to spend there? Yea, we'd never be able to to everything but hoping to not leave with the "ah crap, if we only had one more day..." feeling. 3 days full wheeling? 4 days wheeling? Other?

Time - too bad we all aren't lotto winners - only so much of it. Out there we are going to spend at least one day visiting the National Parks also non-jeepwise. Is that enough time or add another day?

We're having this conversation of if we should spend an full extra day out in Vegas while driving to Moab because of house rental availability but could shift it to staying in Moab hotel first night to get an extra day there if necessary.
I am going to assume this will lbe the first time in Moab for you and for the group?? With that assumption, here are my thoughts.

I plan and organize two trips to Moab every year. There are always new people joining the group who have never been there. And I have several that have come every year, so trail selection is a challenge.

A lot depends on the makeup of the rigs on the trip, the skill level of the drivers and the tolerance level for breakage and damage. (LefthandRubi is at the extreme end of the range on all 3!) When you say "hard to scenic" trails, well "hard" is relative. Scenic much less so.

Let's start with the basics. Most popular trails in Moab. Hell's Revenge just seems to be a must do for most. It can be done in a stock jeep or it will challenge the most well built Jeep. (Optional obstacles) Fins and Things combined with Hells makes for a full day. A nice combo and they are adjacent. And then there is the tri-fecta, Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim. A long ass day to be sure. Again, can be done in a stock Jeep or will challenge almost any rig. (A stock jeep will have trouble in spots.)

After you get those out of the way, things really open up. I really like Elephant Hill but it is a drive to get to. But if you do it, be sure to take the short hike to "The Joint" - a great slot canyon that is a must see (IM0). I like Metal Masher as it too has some wicked optional obstacles and you can return via Gemini Bridges and stop for the bridges. Another kinda must see. Steel Bender is a great trail as well. And so on. Moab Rim, Cliffhanger, etc, etc.

If you want hard, challenging trails, certainly Pritchett Canyon has to be on the list. Be prepared for it though. Area BFE as well. Hard, challenging wheeling requiring 37s, lockers, damn good sliders, etc, etc.

As for the parks. Well if you do Elephant Hill, that gets you into the Needles district of Canyonlands. You can drive thru most of Arches and see the sites. Short hike to the signature arch. I would highly recommend the Fiery Furnace guided hike in Arches National Park. You will need to make reservations months in advance. That is a great hike and having a guide is all the better. Make sure you get there early to check in on the day of your hike - they don't wait for stragglers (ask me how I know).

Now for time.....one day in Arches is a minimum. You can do the hike and see most of the main sites in one FULL day. Canyonlands mixes nicely with doing Elephant Hill. One day is good there. (Too far to drive again anyway.)

Personally, three days on the trails in Moab is about right. Two is too short. Four can be a stretch. I think it depends on how hard core the group is, but 3 day of straight trails is usually enough for most people. My theory is you want to leave "wanting to stay". If you leave "wanting to leave", then it was too long. Two days of trails, a day in Arches and then a day in Canyonlands doing Elephant Hill is a great trip. People will leave wanting to stay. Three days of trails, a day in Arches then a day in Canonlands will make a really full, great trip.

Need a guide??
post #6 of 33 Old 02-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Granite Guru

Keeping an eye on this thread. I'll be doing the same trip for the first time on the last week of May and first of June also!
post #7 of 33 Old 02-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post
Wait...

A parsec is 3.085x10(16th). If you did 12 parsecs then that would be 3.7e+16 meters, or 2.3e+12 miles.

I don't think you are finished yet.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #8 of 33 Old 02-03-2014, 03:24 PM
It never ends...

Nuke speaks wisely.

Depending on how hard core, skill of drivers, and build of rigs makes a huge difference.

For example I've seen Hells revenge done in a couple hours, including the hard obstacles.

Hells revenge/fins and things to get the flavor of Moab.

Then do tri-fecta.

Other favorites are Moab Rim, Behind the Rocks, Kane Creek.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #9 of 33 Old 02-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Granite Guru

my fist time here will be last week of may also

Last edited by dwn134; 02-05-2014 at 07:42 AM.
post #10 of 33 Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarK_Reaper View Post
Keeping an eye on this thread. I'll be doing the same trip for the first time on the last week of May and first of June also!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwn134 View Post
my fist time here will be last week of way also
Well sounds like we should all meetup...

I've wheeled some of the trails at the Hammers....that's our kind of wheeling! So anything similar to that kind of hardcore shit!! IMO the Rubicon is a joke....soon one will be able to drive a Smart Car through!!

"CUTTS CREW"
"08 2 Door X-Fox Coilovers-Custom MC ended Long Arm w/ 8" Rear Stretch-40" ProComp MT2-ProRock 44 Unlimited-ARB Front/Rear Locker-5.13's-Custom VKS Rock Rails-Chopped Fenders-ARB Compressor-Overkill Corners Customized-PSC Hood Louver-PSC BFH Trail Stinger
post #11 of 33 Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGSTATUS View Post

I've wheeled some of the trails at the Hammers....that's our kind of wheeling! So anything similar to that kind of hardcore shit!! IMO the Rubicon is a joke....soon one will be able to drive a Smart Car through!!
You can warm up on Pritchett Canyon and then move into Area BFE!!
post #12 of 33 Old 02-05-2014, 07:59 AM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
You can warm up on Pritchett Canyon and then move into Area BFE!!

And add a high speed run on behind the rocks. No screwing around.

In BFE it is Britney Spears, black flag, and smashing pumpkin that are particularly sporting. Not the relatively easy Upper Helldorado.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #13 of 33 Old 02-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Granite Guru

Top of the World is also a great one to hit as well as 7 mile rim.

As for number of days, 2 solid days of wheeling works good for us. Usually by that point I am getting nervous about something breaking yet have gotten in some great wheeling.

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
post #14 of 33 Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I ended up spending 6 months there last year, and it still wasn't enough

If you need a break from wheeling, Mary Jane Canyon is an awesome hike. There are a bunch of slot canyons in the area that are great for 1/2 day hikes.

There is always more wheeling to do there...

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #15 of 33 Old 02-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
A lot depends on the makeup of the rigs on the trip, the skill level of the drivers and the tolerance level for breakage and damage. (LefthandRubi is at the extreme end of the range on all 3!) When you say "hard to scenic" trails, well "hard" is relative. Scenic much less so.
This crew has yet to find a "hard" trail. They run the Rubicon in the dark, with no offroad lights. They laugh in the face of "difficult" trails. They wear an eyepatch and tie one arm behind their back just to make trails more challenging. They (literally) take obstacles in reverse, just because it was too easy going up a hard line the "normal" way. They run tires with no tread just to make things more interesting. And they dont' consider it a real trail run unless someone grenades a locker on the way up. They are, the most interesting offroaders in the world...
post #16 of 33 Old 02-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Rock God

^^ lol Good one!

I have been there twice. I would say 4 days there. 3 days on trails and one day to hike and site seeing or rig repair.
post #17 of 33 Old 02-08-2014, 05:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
This crew has yet to find a "hard" trail. They run the Rubicon in the dark, with no offroad lights. They laugh in the face of "difficult" trails. They wear an eyepatch and tie one arm behind their back just to make trails more challenging. They (literally) take obstacles in reverse, just because it was too easy going up a hard line the "normal" way. They run tires with no tread just to make things more interesting. And they dont' consider it a real trail run unless someone grenades a locker on the way up. They are, the most interesting offroaders in the world...
Hands down the best post I've EVER READ!! I just woke up the wife laughing so fuckin hard!!

"CUTTS CREW"
"08 2 Door X-Fox Coilovers-Custom MC ended Long Arm w/ 8" Rear Stretch-40" ProComp MT2-ProRock 44 Unlimited-ARB Front/Rear Locker-5.13's-Custom VKS Rock Rails-Chopped Fenders-ARB Compressor-Overkill Corners Customized-PSC Hood Louver-PSC BFH Trail Stinger
post #18 of 33 Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Some great info on time to spend - thanks all! Amazon just dropped off a trail book and some maps - damn, looks like one could spend a month there with all of the trails.

Nucleophile - saw a vid on Fiery Furnace for a non-jeep day - definitely booking a spot - great tip and if you are around come on out! We are all 37",, lockers, blah, blah, blah and kinda of what Hoggstatus said, 3 of the 4 going regularly beat on our jeeps without fusss, to the extent that we can still trail repair and get back home.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #19 of 33 Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Granite Guru

imo, a week is a good time frame. we typically use 1-2 days for travel, wheel 5 days straight (assuming we can) and then get home in 1-2 days.

I normally drive straight through so make it one long day.

I can't truly comment on time spent on trails since our group tends to get through stuff fairly quick, but our last trip was 5 days of wheelin and I still wanted to stay longer.

pay attention to weather warnings since flash flooding happens quickly, but also dries up and goes away quickly. one trip we were stuck at a high point on Hells Revenge when a nasty storm came through. it only lasted 20 mins or so and then we moved on.

take plenty of water, spares and extra clothing. 2 different days we had someone get lost and we ended up spending most of the night looking for them so it can make for a very long day. be prepared.

nucleophile had a great post as well.

I missed out on BFE last time since I destroyed a trans case. I love the type of wheelin that Pritchett and Rusty Nail offers (great trail) and what BFE looks to offer.

good radio communication is a must as well.

sorry if some of this is newbie kinda stuff, just rambling off the top of my head.

I've been there 3 times now and still want to go back. I love it there!!

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig

Last edited by 1tfrot; 02-14-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #20 of 33 Old 02-14-2014, 11:26 AM
It never ends...

Another thing worth doing is to explore Arches NP. You could easily spend a day there. It's pretty cool.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #21 of 33 Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
Some great info on time to spend - thanks all! Amazon just dropped off a trail book and some maps - damn, looks like one could spend a month there with all of the trails.

Nucleophile - saw a vid on Fiery Furnace for a non-jeep day - definitely booking a spot - great tip and if you are around come on out! We are all 37",, lockers, blah, blah, blah and kinda of what Hoggstatus said, 3 of the 4 going regularly beat on our jeeps without fusss, to the extent that we can still trail repair and get back home.
I hope that book was Charlie Wells' Guide to Moab book. Regardless, you will need a GPS with the trails on it as well. I haved tried several apps, but I still prefer my old standby: a Garmin GPS with a Funtreks data card with all the trails built in.

http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?op...=14&Itemid=308

Yeah I know, its old school by now, but as I said I still prefer it over any smartphone app (at least the ones I have tried). Its idiot proof. Plug in the data card into a Garmin with a data card slot, select your trail and you get directions to the trail and a constant path to follow on screen. Deviate by just a few feet and you can immediately see you are off trail. The smart phone apps do not have as many waypoints, or at least they seem to let you drive further off trail. I don't have a mount for my phone in my Jeep but I do for my Garmin. Thus the GPS is always on and easy to follow. Some Moab trails are easy to follow, some are easy to get lost on. And getting lost can really ruin your day (ask me how I know!). The guide books are nice, but they do have errors and everyone's odometer is just a bit off. After a few hours, it makes a difference. A good GPS with the trail maps in it is worth the price. (Many apps are free, but the paid ones are better.)

Just be there about an hour before your Fiery Furnace hike begins. You check in at the visitors center and then have to drive 35 minutes to the meet point! So if you have a 10:00 hike and show up at the visitors center at 9:45, you are SOL. (Ask me how I know.) After the FF hike, hike to the Delicate Arch. Then drive the rest of the park. That is a great day.

Carry lots of water, and tools. An electric impact gun is your friend. Mine comes out every trip!

I wish I could join you but I will be there a few weeks before you. Enjoy!! (Sounds like you rented a house there? IF so, good move. Hotels are spendy there.)
post #22 of 33 Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Rock God

If you guys go to Arches bring some rope so you can do this

World's Largest Rope Swing - YouTube

Gary, make sure you get good footage!
post #23 of 33 Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGSTATUS View Post

Bringing this "old" thread back up! Only two weeks until Moab

You guys still want to meet and run some trails?
post #24 of 33 Old 05-09-2014, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarK_Reaper View Post
Bringing this "old" thread back up! Only two weeks until Moab

You guys still want to meet and run some trails?
HELL YEAH!! We're be there Monday through Friday....not sure we've made a trail plan yet.

"CUTTS CREW"
post #25 of 33 Old 05-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
If you guys go to Arches bring some rope so you can do this

World's Largest Rope Swing - YouTube

Gary, make sure you get good footage!
Thats Corona Arch. It's actually just past Poison Spider trail on the Potash road and a short hike. definitely entertaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode