Rancho 3" Trail Lift Kit Feedback? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rancho 3" Trail Lift Kit Feedback?

I am in the market to install a 3-3.5" lift kit to be able to drive on and off road (like most it is a DD) with 35" tires on my stock 18" wheels. I have been on and off of so many different brands and have made myself dizzy trying to be an educated consumer. Like most people I have read about I recognize you will often get what you pay for by looking at the bottom of the barrel kits, but also do not currently have the budget for the "high end' kits either. A kit that has caught my attention lately is the Rancho 3" Trail Lift Kit. I saw a flurry of discussion last spring when there was a special running so I know there are a lot of these kits running out there and I guess before I pull the trigger on that or another kit I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have been running on this kit which may help me get off the fence. That said if you hate this kit I would also appreciate hearing your reasons, as well as any suggestions for strong alternatives in the same relative price range.

Also, I understand this kit actually starts out as a 4" kit and eventually settles to the 3" it is advertised to be. I suspect it will not take long for me to settle because I already have the aftermarket steel front and rear bumpers and steel rock sliders, and will likely soon install a winch, but that being said should I have any concerns with the drivetrain or breather tubes (I am aware that the exhaust spacer or pipe kit will be necessary), and should I still consider having a 1" leveling kit installed as well to help counter this extra weight on the front to handle the rake?

Thank you to all in advance for your candid feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Granite Guru

My 2011 came with the rancho lift, I am still running the arms (until they break). Everything else has been changed. The biggest issue is that Rancho lowers the track bar bracket on the frame rather than the axel. This method makes the body roll less desirable. I had an issue with the front bracket loosening up causing my steering wheel to be off center after each trip. If you are going use the jeep for forest service roads you will be fine. If you are going to hit the rocks save your money and do your research. In my opinion there is several great kits on the market. Some give advice on JKO, do some reading.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Granite Guru

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-03-2014, 02:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Is this the kit with control arms or drop brackets ? I can say the drop brackets are pretty stout compared to AEV's.
I've heard their coils give more lift especially on a 2 door. And I do agree on the TB drop bracket. It's only purpose is repositioning the axle. A axle bracket would be a better upgrade over 3" of lift.
I heard around the forums, the Rancho rebate will be back around March. I personally love the 9000 shocks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #5 of 8 Old 02-03-2014, 04:23 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

I'm not sure what kit Doormandan is talking about but none of the the trail kits ever came with a track bar drop bracket. They include an adjustable front track bar that is mounted in the stock location. Up until about 3 years ago the 4 inch sport kit included a drop pitman arm, but that is no longer the case. I have a 2 Door and ran the 4 inch sport kit. I planned on using it as a base and adding to it over time. I found all of the components to be high quality. It did not come with control arms, but used drop brackets in the front instead. I liked the kit but it gave way to much lift to my 2 door and I think the 3 inch kit would have been a better choice. I'm still running the front brake lines, bump stops, and rear brake line drop brackets. I recently replaced the springs with Poly Performance 3 inch springs and added control arms over time. I actually liked the ride of the Rancho springs and the Poly's are a "different ride", but not heads and tails better. I will eventually explain my opinion of the springs in another thread. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Rancho's control arms, but everything else is quality in my opinion.

What model JK do you have and what kind of wheeling do you plan on doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Granite Guru

Rancho 4" crawler, it still uses a drop pitman arm and retains the factory track bars. I did not buy the kit myself, I bought my JKU used, after a few wheeling trips it was clear that I was going to need to make some changes.

http://www.gorancho.com/suspension.p...3_jeep_jk#lift
post #7 of 8 Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am looking to install the lift kit on my 2013 JKU Sahara. I am new at offroading, but enjoy trails and moderate rock climbing, nothing too extreme since it is my family vehicle and the family often goes with me, and I don't trailer it so it must get me home. I don't mind going through some shallow water, but I don't foresee myself doing too much mudding.

I know I am changing the original post with this question but what are your thoughts of maybe only going 2.5" for now but with a better brand, such as Teraflex or Rock Krawler? It won't be as much of a lift and has fewer components, but I should still be able to run 35s and it seems virtually everyone is happy with these brands. It also sounds like the shocks are a major factor as well, so that being said if Teraflex is an option they offer a kit which includes shocks but are they worth anything or am I better to consider the kit without them and install a different brand shock?

As I said in the OP, I have been comparing so many different brands, kits, etc. it is difficult to be sure there is a "right" choice. I am going to have to bite the bullet and make a decision here, I just don't want to feel like I am throwing darts with a blindfold.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Granite Guru

There are several great brands. One if not more have a tech thread on this site. Do your research and buy what you want the first time. BTW do a search on
2.5 " lifts. Lots of fellow JKO members run them. You do not need a 4" lift to run 35" tires you just need the correct lift. Talk to some of the vendors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode