RED LIGHT OIL - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

RED LIGHT OIL

Just wanted to throw this out there. my 2011 JK with 31000 was 2 quarts low on the oil when I went to do my own oil change. found the same last year with the wife's 3.5 chy.......dealer says quart at a 1000 is normal for the new ones....my reply was simple the book say change at 8000 in the new ones and they ony hold 6.....you do the math. After checking the chy forums I found this is a very common problem in the 3. v6s that chy is very aware of......I guess we go back to standard check at every fill up. BEAWARE! By the way no leaks or smoke with either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2014, 09:12 PM
JKO Addict!

2011=3.8L=notorious for using oil. Happens earlier to some than others...fairly common on here...

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-02-2014, 03:32 AM
Rock God

Wonder if it has anything to do with the thinner oil that is called out on these newer engines. Or is it to do with the PVC system they are now using????????

I don't know. What changed? Seals, gaskets, Rings, Valve stem seals?????

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-02-2014, 04:56 AM
Granite Guru

Yep, I am old school and check my oil at every fill up.

I switched to 10w-30 a long time ago and have not had consumption issues. The thicker oil also helped with engine pinging.

If your engine isnt leaking oil, its burning it. It doesnt just disappear
post #5 of 6 Old 02-02-2014, 05:06 AM
JKO Addict!

It is pretty common. My 2009 was changed at 1,000 miles old to 5w-30. I haven't burned a noticeable amount of oil between changes in ~74k miles.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Rock God

doesnt matter what oil I use, I burn through a quart every 1000 miles like clockwork. Pretty sure its the valve seals but I could be wrong.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode