3.8L vs 3.6L (Pentastar)with 35s question... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

3.8L vs 3.6L (Pentastar)with 35s question...

So, I had a 2010 JKU Rubi Auto (my daily driver, but had to get the auto for the wife) with a 2.5" coil lift and 35's. At 43,000 miles, I'd become so sick/tired of of 12-13 MPG and anemic power/acceleration that I sold the Jeep and bought a BMW 335i Xdrive. I miss the Jeep, but wanted folks thoughts on the Pentastar in a 2012-14 JKU Rubi Auto (with 4.10's) and 35's from the standpoint of power/torque and MPG's before I go shopping for a 2014. Thanks for your thoughts.

CURRENT: 2014 JKUR in Granite Crystal
2.5" AEV DualSport XT Lift
Teraflex HD Monster Adjustable Trackbar
Teraflex Steering Stabilizer
Bilstein 5100's
35"x12.5"x18" Goodyear MTR/K's
Fuel Offroad D509 Octane 18"x9" w/4.5" BS
Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier w/ Adjustable Spare Moint
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/Hoop Over-Rider
Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier
Rigid Industries D-2s on A Pillar

OLD: 2010 JKUR in Billet Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Granite Guru

Just one guy's opinion

My first Jeep. Wish I'd had one long ago. I say this so you know I have limited experience.

So for a year I ran the stock 31-32 BFG MT's and had ordered the 4.1 option for my automatic Rubicon. I became very used to the excellent low end torque and power of the 285 horses of the 3.6 and 4.1's. I recently went to 35's. I think if I had the 3.73 gears from the get-go I might have been happy with the 35's and 4.1 gears. I know many are. In my case though it was apparent after 2 weeks I could not live with the 4.1. I did battle choosing between 4.56 and 4.88..........that's another discussion. The 4.56 returned my Jeep with 35's performance(except mileage) to almost exactly what it was with 31-32's and 4.1.

Mileage approximates are 16-17 city 20-21 highway with 4.1 and 31's and 12-14 city 16-18 highway with 4.56 and 35's

Good luck.

-Joe

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants

Last edited by ratchettt; 02-01-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode