Strange Sound when Accelerating - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Strange Sound when Accelerating

So I went wheeling last weekend and had a blast. However, I came down decently hard a few times, but from what I could tell only on my side rails and that's about it. But now when I accelerate from a dead stop, whenever I pass about 750-1000 rpm I hear a grinding noise (or like noise like a baseball card in some bicycle spokes but deeper and less fast).

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be? As a side note, after wheeling, my steering wheel was also cockeyed from what it normally is as well. As in, when my car is going straight my steering wheel is in a slight left hand turn position.

I am still new to wheeling and krawling and am still also learning about the ins and outs of my jeep so I have no idea. Any help would be much appreciated so when I do take it in to have it checked I can sound intelligent and also so I learn a little bit more about my jeep.

Black 2012 MW3 4-door Rubi, Teraflex 2.5" lift, Rugged Ridge Wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 35s, Smittybilt XRC GEN2 front and rear bumper, fender armor and rock rails, Custom Grille wrap-Kryptek Typhon Camo, Warn 10-S Zeon Platinum, EVO Full-Protek Skid plates, Cobra 29 LX CB Radio, MetalCloak Fender liners, HIDProjectors Lights, S-pod, Genesis Offroad Dual battery kit, Rigid Industries 50" Light bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Noises and vibes that seem slower than engine speed are usually in the wheel area. Get the weight off the tires and check your bearings and such. If you DIY use QUALITY jackstands. Grab each at 12 and 6 and see if there's movement, should be negligible, Do same at 9 and 3, but be aware that hard shaking this way will move steering.
Also while supported, put a pry bar under each front tire and pull upwards to check the balljoints, again not much movement.
While under there see if there's anything obvious... IE bent control arms and such... Worst case bent axle housing.
By stating the strg wheel is off that means there's something bent (duh), All you have to do is find it
Look at ujoints also as they're known for popping caps off, But this shouldn't affect steering wheel

BTW sometimes a front bearing noise can be found by steering side to side and listening for the noise to change.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The noise isn't from moving the steering wheel, its from accelerating. It is always the same, whether turning left, right, driving straight, or even in reverse. And it only happens when the RPMs are passing 750 (as in the tic right before the 1 dash....)

But I'll just what I can. I don't have jack stands so well see.

Black 2012 MW3 4-door Rubi, Teraflex 2.5" lift, Rugged Ridge Wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 35s, Smittybilt XRC GEN2 front and rear bumper, fender armor and rock rails, Custom Grille wrap-Kryptek Typhon Camo, Warn 10-S Zeon Platinum, EVO Full-Protek Skid plates, Cobra 29 LX CB Radio, MetalCloak Fender liners, HIDProjectors Lights, S-pod, Genesis Offroad Dual battery kit, Rigid Industries 50" Light bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Rock God

check for torn driveshaft boots yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 PM
Granite Guru

Wait, is there ANY chance anyone had baseball cards on this trip? let's rule that out first... sorry, i've been drinking, i'll leave now.

guess i can add something productive, any chance your fender liners are deformed or dislodged some how rubbing on a tire and flapping? happens at straight wheel and while turning both directions? or does it go away if you turn the wheel?

'64 CJ-5, '74 Bronco, '79 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '92 XJ, '96 XJ, '99 XJ, '01 TJ, '01 XJ, 2013 JKU.

2013 Commando Green JKU
35x12.50/17 Falken Rocky Moutain ATS
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
Diablo Sport Trinity (garbage)
Sleeve, Truss, ARB, Chromo D30

Last edited by camo36; 01-31-2014 at 11:08 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper View Post
check for torn driveshaft boots yet?
Have not. Too dark out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo36 View Post
Wait, is there ANY chance anyone had baseball cards on this trip? let's rule that out first... sorry, i've been drinking, i'll leave now.

guess i can add something productive, any chance your fender liners are deformed or dislodged some how rubbing on a tire and flapping? happens at straight wheel and while turning both directions? or does it go away if you turn the wheel?
Haha, postive nobody had baseball cards. Also my fender liners are not currently attached to my jeep, nor were they when I was enjoying the outdoors so thats out.

And its not a constant sound, it happens when the engine passes 750 RPM and then stops. And yeah, I can be turning left, right, going straight and backing up and it makes the sound. Its like I said, a kind of grinding sound that is similar to the sound made when you attach a baseball card to bicycle wheels but deeper and I guess it could be said that it sounds like metal groaning a little too....but thats just what I think it sounds like. I've looked underneath my car and haven't noticed any real damage other than some scraps on my skid plates, but thats not a big deal because they are pretty hefty and not warped at all...

post #7 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Random Dude

I had a bolt connecting the left front corner of my engine skid to its mounting bracket loosen up slightly one time (I have RockHard skids, but the principle applies). It made an unnerving, RPM-dependent noise similar to what you're describing. You most likely don't have the exact same problem, but something may have loosened up that hits its resonant frequency right as you go through 750-ish RPM.

That's all I got. Hope it's something simple and inexpensive.

Oh, and X2 on steering wheel off-center = somethin's benter.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #8 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 AM
Wheeler

Are you sure it's a grinding sound and not metal on metal vibration? Check the aluminum heat shield where your pipes cross from the passenger side above the skid. Mine did the same thing, at a specific RPM range… a little JB weld and a hose clamp and it was solved.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Wheeler

i had this same thing happen the first time I went out, tore the boot on my front driveshaft and every rotation it would tap the firewall or exhaust whatever was next to it.

the steering wheel being mis aligned is probably a different issue im guessing but i am new as well so i dont really know

also is this a manaul or auto?

I know in low rpm on my mustang the throw out bearing/clutch kinda groans or rattles around that rpm.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok, I'm still holding off going to the shop for a diagnostic because work....but I can check. And its an auto transmission. Ill see if I can see anything in the morning that might look loose as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode