What would you do? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Age: 37
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 reviews
What would you do?

I'm in a unique situation where I will have around $17K at my disposal upon returning from this deployment. I have been "advised" on another forum which will remain unnamed to wheel my Jeep ('14 JKUS) and upgrade as I need or break things. I honestly love the idea of tons, 40s, 4in long arm, small body lift only if I have to, running some beadlocks. Do I "need" this...nah I'm in NC for now but will be moving to Augusta GA soon because the Army told me too lol. Do I want this hell ya. Problem is tons, tires, wheels, and lift blows the whole 17K. If you had 17K and a stock JKUS what would you do. I will DD this as often as I can but I do have another car. Gas mileage isn't too much of a concern considering my Camaro only gets 13 mpg average. I just want to buy parts once hence the move straight to tons, 40s, beadlocks, and long arm lift. Coil overs will happen eventually but I may have to wait for my next trip across the pond. I'm open to opinions and recommendations.
SFC_A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 21,948
Feedback: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_A View Post
I'm in a unique situation where I will have around $17K at my disposal upon returning from this deployment. I have been "advised" on another forum which will remain unnamed to wheel my Jeep ('14 JKUS) and upgrade as I need or break things. I honestly love the idea of tons, 40s, 4in long arm, small body lift only if I have to, running some beadlocks. Do I "need" this...nah I'm in NC for now but will be moving to Augusta GA soon because the Army told me too lol. Do I want this hell ya. Problem is tons, tires, wheels, and lift blows the whole 17K. If you had 17K and a stock JKUS what would you do. I will DD this as often as I can but I do have another car. Gas mileage isn't too much of a concern considering my Camaro only gets 13 mpg average. I just want to buy parts once hence the move straight to tons, 40s, beadlocks, and long arm lift. Coil overs will happen eventually but I may have to wait for my next trip across the pond. I'm open to opinions and recommendations.

Fuck it, its your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Feedback: 0 reviews

Pay it off


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
kreepinjk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Rock God
 
funfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bloomsburg, PA
Posts: 1,115
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_A View Post
If you had 17K and a stock JKUS what would you do.
...tons, tires, wheels and a lift.
funfred is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Abacabb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fishersville, VA
Posts: 2,261
Feedback: 1 reviews

You got great advice from whichever forum you posted on.
But it sounds like you don't care so go and build your Jeep.


2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
Abacabb is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Rock God
 
Abadjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Huntersville, NC
Age: 41
Posts: 1,283
Feedback: 3 reviews

17K might not be enough for tons and 40's. LOL

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Abadjeeper is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Age: 37
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
You got great advice from whichever forum you posted on.
But it sounds like you don't care so go and build your Jeep.

I see your on 40s with a 2012 JK. How many "stages" did you go through before going to 40s? Being less than 2 years old maybe one or two before you went for the 40s?

edit: I checked your build thread and you went to from stock to 40s in less than a year but had a set of 37s in between.

Last edited by SFC_A; 01-31-2014 at 12:50 PM.
SFC_A is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Granite Guru
 
ratchettt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 351
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
You got great advice from whichever forum you posted on.
But it sounds like you don't care so go and build your Jeep.
THIS.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
ratchettt is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 12:54 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Abacabb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fishersville, VA
Posts: 2,261
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_A View Post
I see your on 40s with a 2012 JK. How many "stages" did you go through before going to 40s? Being less than 2 years old maybe one or two before you went for the 40s?
Let's see...

I went through 3 Jeeps worth of stages -

2007 Sahara- 4" Superlift, 35" tires.
Wheeling all over NJ and Rausch Creek.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited- 4" Teraflex, 37" tires.
Wheeling all over NJ, Rausch Creek and some parts of Florida.

2012 Sport - 3.5" Rock Krawler, 37's for about a year now I've moved on to 40's.
Wheeling all over FL and Virginia.

So about 5-6 years worth of stages.


2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!

Last edited by Abacabb; 01-31-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Abacabb is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Age: 37
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
Let's see...

I went through 3 Jeeps worth of stages -

2007 Sahara- 4" Superlift, 35" tires.
Wheeling all over NJ and Rausch Creek.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited- 4" Teraflex, 37" tires.
Wheeling all over NJ, Rausch Creek and some parts of Florida.

2012 Sport - 3.5" Rock Krawler, 37's for about a year now I've moved on to 40's.
Wheeling all over FL and Virginia.

So about 5-6 years worth of stages.
nice so with all the Jeeps and stages you still wouldn't go straight to where you are now if you had the budget on the 07? This aint my first jeep or lifted truck but its the first besides my Camaro that I've been in a position to put more than 15k in it at once. I don't want to buy things and then resell them and buy more if I don't need to.
SFC_A is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 01:21 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Jaybee1669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 2,507
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_A View Post
I'm in a unique situation where I will have around $17K at my disposal upon returning from this deployment. I have been "advised" on another forum which will remain unnamed to wheel my Jeep ('14 JKUS) and upgrade as I need or break things. I honestly love the idea of tons, 40s, 4in long arm, small body lift only if I have to, running some beadlocks. Do I "need" this...nah I'm in NC for now but will be moving to Augusta GA soon because the Army told me too lol. Do I want this hell ya. Problem is tons, tires, wheels, and lift blows the whole 17K. If you had 17K and a stock JKUS what would you do. I will DD this as often as I can but I do have another car. Gas mileage isn't too much of a concern considering my Camaro only gets 13 mpg average. I just want to buy parts once hence the move straight to tons, 40s, beadlocks, and long arm lift. Coil overs will happen eventually but I may have to wait for my next trip across the pond. I'm open to opinions and recommendations.
I guess i would ask you how much hardcore wheeling are you going to do?

If the answer is, "Not a lot.", then i would say get a rubi take-off front D44, truss/sleeve/gusset the shiat out of it and truss your rear d44. Get lockers, lift, wheels and 40's. Upgrade to RCV/Chromoly shafts and hydro your steering. re-gear to 5.38's and roll it. Also, spend some coin on recovery gear and a good front bumber with a winch mount. Any money left over can be used to soak the jeep in LED lights and a SPOD.

Tons are gonna eat your $17k up in a hurry if you are paying someone else to do them.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jaybee1669 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 PM
Rock God
 
jkx0778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Age: 41
Posts: 879
Feedback: 3 reviews

$17K... and you want 40's

I'd probably do a:
1 - Rock Krawler 5.5" X-factor coil over kit $4800
2 - Rock Jock rear end ~$4000
3 - Build Front D44: regear, RCVs,Artec Truss, Poly/AlloyUSA BJ ~$3000
4 - ACE Tube Fenders (I'd get the wide ones with 40's) ~$900
** or the Trail Mods fenders for about the same price
5 - Method 105 beadlock 17x9 - 3.5" BS $1700
6 - 40" tire of your choice

* I'd give Marcus at River City Offroad a call to see what he can do to hook you up on what you need.

You'd need a buddy who can weld good for the lift and to for the D44
If I every had $17K and was dead set on 40's, that's what I do.

Good luck with your build and post pics when you get it done

________________


08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jkx0778 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Reno , NV.
Posts: 405
Feedback: 0 reviews

Hopefully this is not the only money you have. Please tell us this money is "spare" and you have a lot more. If that is the case, go ahead. If not, save it !
dahreno is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 03:35 PM
Granite Guru
 
dola12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 383
Feedback: 0 reviews

Pay it off
dola12 is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 26
Feedback: 0 reviews

The financial advisor in me says save your money for retirement. The jk owner in me says blow it all on upgades!!!!!
GreenThing13 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 05:03 PM
JKO Addict!
 
thedirtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: southwest reno, nv
Age: 51
Posts: 4,273
Feedback: 0 reviews

I guess axles are going to be the determining factor. If you are going to build them then you might get by doing all that for $17k if looking ot purchase something like dynatrac axles the $17k is gone there alone. Building axles tends to run around $8000 depending on lockers. Beadlocks and 40's will run you around $5k a long arm kit around $3k Driveshafts $800-1000. There are always those odds and ends as well and would budget at least $500 for that stuff.

There is a good thread to read thru on here that bought a brand new 2014 rubi and decided after a week of looking to order 42" tires and thought he would just throw them on. I would look it up and see what he went thru to get it done. I think it might even be on the road now.

It is your jeep after all, if it is paid for do what you want with it and your hard earned money.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thedirtman is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Granite Guru
 
Homeless Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carrollton, TX
Age: 48
Posts: 361
Feedback: 0 reviews

Since you have a second vehicle, what about junkyard tons? There are several threads on building them out on this forum and I think on pirate.

Lift/wheels/tires will still need to be new, but you can save some cash on the axles.

Just my $.02

-Hank
Homeless Hank is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 308
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I guess axles are going to be the determining factor. If you are going to build them then you might get by doing all that for $17k if looking ot purchase something like dynatrac axles the $17k is gone there alone. Building axles tends to run around $8000 depending on lockers. Beadlocks and 40's will run you around $5k a long arm kit around $3k Driveshafts $800-1000. There are always those odds and ends as well and would budget at least $500 for that stuff.

There is a good thread to read thru on here that bought a brand new 2014 rubi and decided after a week of looking to order 42" tires and thought he would just throw them on. I would look it up and see what he went thru to get it done. I think it might even be on the road now.

It is your jeep after all, if it is paid for do what you want with it and your hard earned money.

This! If you know in the long run you will end up on tons and 40s, spend the money now and do it now opposed to upgrading the upgrading. In the long run it will save you. Ask me how I know. Don't listen to those about saving. It's only money right. Just kidding. It's a fine line. By your username, you're a SFC which I assume you are indef and have a few years left. As long as you got a good loan theirs no rush to pay it it. Mine is below 1% so if I pay it off now or just do payments, it won't save me much in the long run.

If you're not in a hurry, hold onto your money and scour the forums to get the parts at a hella good deal. Another way to save.
texasmike74 is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Age: 37
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 reviews

thanks for the advice from those so far. I'm a single E7 with very little finanical responsibility who seems to deploy every other 1 1/2 years so my "toy" budget is pretty good while everything else is taken care of.

Dirtman: yea I read that thread I believe something about 5.5" of lift getting you 42s. I have been researching this for months and I understand what 40s will require. No tons no 40s for me. I have read several of your threads by the way. They are always very helpful and informative.

jkx0778: thanks for the ideas and I know some have done it with great sucess but if I dont go with tons I wont go with 40s.

Homeless Hank: unfortunately I would rather by the axles from someone who built them and knew what they were doing.

texasmike: yea I'm indef and 7 years to go before I can even think about retirement. Even then I know I will stay somewhere in the 25-27 year range as long as I keep progressing through the ranks.
SFC_A is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 02-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Knoxville
Age: 35
Posts: 73
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_A View Post
I'm a single E7
Then you should know better than to blow your deployment money on Jeep shit. Take it slow and build as you need it. Don't be a boot

Other than that, it's not my bank account so I say:
Attachment 117689

Last edited by Shammy O'Shea; 06-01-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Shammy O'Shea is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Age: 45
Posts: 62
Feedback: 0 reviews

Put it in the bank.
Scott2373 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome