Choosing a Lift Kit. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Choosing a Lift Kit.

Hey JKO Crew! I have narrowed it down to 2 Lift Kits. Rock Krawler 3.5" X-Factor Mid-Arm and Metal Cloak 3.5" Duroflex Lift Kit. I like both kits a lot. With that being said. I would like to find some people and/or someone that is not biased. But! I would like someone professional and honest opinion of what they think overall. Thanks for you help. Looking forward to the back. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy's Toy View Post
Hey JKO Crew! I have narrowed it down to 2 Lift Kits. Rock Krawler 3.5" X-Factor Mid-Arm and Metal Cloak 3.5" Duroflex Lift Kit. I like both kits a lot. With that being said. I would like to find some people and/or someone that is not biased. But! I would like someone professional and honest opinion of what they think overall. Thanks for you help. Looking forward to the back. Take care.
Not sure you'll get a whole lot of this, you'll definitely get plenty of this.

My choice would be Rock Krawler. I like their solid control arms. I have some of their new joints to try and will give my opinion once I've run them for a while. The RK joint will have the most flex possible. Their presence on this site and customer service is out done by no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #3 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 AM
Wheeler

I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago. I went RK for a few reasons

1) RK is VERY active on this board for support
2) Northridge had 20% off all RK products. This month it may be a different vendor. Fact is you can usually find some kind of discount from a vendor.
3) Metal Cloak had a 5-6 week wait time...Once I decide to spend my money I want my product NOW. I lack the patience to wait that long for something.

I am happy with my RK kit...For the record I have the Flex and NOT the X factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nothing wrong with either kit.

I chose Metal Cloak for a few reasons:

1. I like the duroflex joints
2. Never heard anyone say they've had a problem with MC
3. When I called RK, they were more interested in selling me their new 1.5" lift instead of listening to what I really wanted.

I have 2k miles on the MC 2.5" Duroflex and absolutely love it. The quality is definitely in the product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #5 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Don't let the extra misalignment that these companies throw out there as a benefit of their lifts. When doing a bolt on with 12" travel shocks you will never have the need for what they advertise and a standard Johnny Joint has more then enough misalignmentto after bind free flex.

I have never held a Metal Cloak arm in my hands but I can tell you the Rock Krawler arms are heavy. Most people don't think about weight savings until they already have really loaded down their rig but is something to think about. I don't know if anyone can chime in on how much each kit actually weighs.

Either kit should do fine for you as they both do the same thing and about the only thing that is going to be different between the two is the coil rates and the joints. The Metal cloak may do a better job with the really high rear track bar bracket and their funky bracket in terms of handling. The metal Cloak joints should give you extra vibration dampining and in theroy a better more comfortable ride. The Metal Cloak coils are claimed to have the longest length and Rock Krawler have a new tripple rate coil that was designed to help with unseating problems of a long travel suspension while giving a comfortable ride.

I don't run any Rock Krawler products and do run the Duroflex joints on some of my control arms which are custom made just for disclosure. I have helped install Rock Krawler kits on other peoples JK's

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you. I like both kits. But! I did not want to have to wait 5 to 6 weeks out for to come in. RK has the mid-arm Kit and pushes the rear axle back 1 inch. I have to agree on RK's support. They seem to be very easy-going and a very friendly staff. I will check back with any other views. I appreciate it. Thank guys.
post #7 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

You can push the axle back 1" with the metal cloak kit as well. The joints have plenty of adjustment in them. In fact the Metal cloak have almost 1" more adjustment in them then the Rock Krawler do.
Here is some info on different joints out there.
http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showt...son-and-review

Some build info here:

post #8 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 03:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy's Toy View Post
Thank you. I like both kits. But! I did not want to have to wait 5 to 6 weeks out for to come in. RK has the mid-arm Kit and pushes the rear axle back 1 inch. I have to agree on RK's support. They seem to be very easy-going and a very friendly staff. I will check back with any other views. I appreciate it. Thank guys.
I got mine in 3 weeks. Like I said, you can't go wrong with either lift. Don't be short sighted in your decision. If you plan to have your Jeep for a while, get what you want.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #9 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 PM
Wheeler

Man, I wish I could help. I am in the same situation as you but trying to decide between the two 2.5" kits. RK is quite a bit cheaper if you look around. I like metal cloak a little more, just havent decided if the extra cost is worth it. In reality I doubt ill ever push either hard enough to notice a difference.

2014 granite JKUR 6spd, JCR dagger w/stinger, warn m8000s, teraflex tire carrier hinge, spiderwebshade, dirty dog 4x4 netting, 2.5" RK x-factor w/bilsteins, diy rock lights, sPOD, black box 50" light bar, JCR skids, dynomax comp exhaust, locker override, KOR front driveshaft. 37x12.5 Cooper STTs on 17x9 XD Addicts, CC ultra rear bumper, VKS Sliders, Trek Armor seat covers, Cobra 75 CB
post #10 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie09 View Post
Man, I wish I could help. I am in the same situation as you but trying to decide between the two 2.5" kits. RK is quite a bit cheaper if you look around. I like metal cloak a little more, just havent decided if the extra cost is worth it. In reality I doubt ill ever push either hard enough to notice a difference.

I was in the same boat. Torn between MC and RK. Ended up, today, go in for the RK 2.5 X Factor. Marcus at River City is the man and WILL hook you up on RK, bottom line. Could've easily spend another grand on MC GC Lite but I think I made the right decision. That probably don't help you much, but just know others are goin thru the exact same dilemma!

'64 CJ-5, '74 Bronco, '79 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '92 XJ, '96 XJ, '99 XJ, '01 TJ, '01 XJ, 2013 JKU.

2013 Commando Green JKU
35x12.50/17 Falken Rocky Moutain ATS
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
Diablo Sport Trinity (garbage)
Sleeve, Truss, ARB, Chromo D30
post #11 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Granite Guru

Done a years worth of research on this and here is what I have gathered. Both will take you just as far down the same trail but there are 3 differences in general. I base this on reading feedback from users of both companies through jeepforum jk-forum jko jkfreaks jk adventure pirate 4x4 and wrangler forum. Communicating with both manufacturers well as individual users and my own experience with both companies via either purchasing their products or having very close personal friends that have.

1. Price. Winner RK.
2. Delivery time. Winner RK.
3. Ride quality. Winner MC.

The decision is really an easy one. Of the 3 things I listed Choose what is most important to you and you have made your choice.

I know you could break it down and add more categories but I think these are the top 3 people are most concerned about. Can I afford it, how long does it take to get and is it good.

Take the time to really research both and you will see a very easily discernible pattern in regards to the 3 things I listed. You will get different opinions from people of course but it is the collective of all those opinions which will likely steer you in the right direction.

No matter what you decide only your satisfaction with your choice matters so hopefully you get what you want and are happy with it.

Just saw Northridge is doing 20% off RK right now so if price is your main concern it would be a good time to buy.

Last edited by rsbmg; 01-31-2014 at 04:52 PM.
post #12 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 04:49 PM
Wheeler

I have no experience with the other lift but I can tell you I am super impressed with my RK 3.5'' Long arm kit. This stuff is beefy as hell and well built in my opinion but I am no pro
post #13 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Granite Guru

I got the RK 3.5 Max Travel Kit. It's the same as the Max Travel with the high steer kit included if I am not mistaking. Love it. Heavy duty for sure. Pic in album with 35"s on stock wheels. I have no regrets.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited. Auto. Mods: 3.5 RK Max Travel Kit, RK tie rod. 35" Nitto Trail Grappers. Eaton 4 Pinion E-Lockers front and rear. Nitro 30 spline chrome moly front axles. Yukon 5.13 gears/Cyrotreated. Sleeved and gusseted front axle. Dynatrac ball joints. Mopar big brake kit, Advance Adaptors 4wd shift linkage, Tom Woods front and rear driveshaft. Ace Rock Sliders. Terra Flex hinged tire carrier, Carolina Metal Masters grab bars. Exp One Frt Bumper. Warn Zeon 12 Winch.
post #14 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Having had both, I prefer metal cloak. My opinion is based on the old rk coils and joints.

rK new stuff looks good.

Just get what you want.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #15 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Granite Guru

We only sell RK, because we can't sell MC..but have done well w RK so far. If marcus can't help you out, let us know what we can do for you. We have some promos running w RK right now too, so let us know what you need. thanks, Christian

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #16 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you Gentlemen. I will keep you posted and let you know on which way I decide to go. Thank you for all your help. I will check back. thanks again. T
post #17 of 37 Old 02-02-2014, 11:08 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

There is a TON of good info on this site... Make sure you are doing ALL your homework!!

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #18 of 37 Old 02-02-2014, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

The whole 'RK or MC' theme is becoming very common on this site, and for good reason. They are both about as good as it gets for short arm systems. I wouldn't kick either out of bed for eating crackers. I've run RK HARD with only positive results, but I know smart design and engineering when I see it and MC has it too. Some differences....

RK is heavier. I mean, the stuff is seriously heavy. Due to the bushing and joint design you get much tighter and predictable handling on road and off from stock. The clearance is also killer. The downside - make sure your joints are centered when you tighten those jam nuts. If they are 'flopped' to one side, when you run out of misalignment you will stress the brackets big-time. I've seen RK arms break the LCA mounts right off of the frame when this happens. But, this is an install issue. RK also has fair prices for what they offer, killer customer service, and great presence.

MC is going to be lighter, and is probably going to be closer to stock in the way it rides. It should articulate nearly as well as the RK kit as well (although you'll probably never push either system to their limit). I really like the joint design - very, very smart indeed. Overall they seem like great kits and nothing makes me scratch my head about them. I admire their engineering both in their joints and shocks. Reports are that customer service is also very good. Expensive, though.

I've come upon this decision before myself, but the debate ended when I decided to go long arm for obvious reasons (RK it is).

The one recommendation I will make is that outside of these two kits, I would avoid kits with a single Johnny Joint on one end and a rubber bushing on the other if you are going to wheel hard and have quite a bit of wheel travel. I have experience here, and had to shitcan a very expensive kit in this configuration due to its limitations.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #19 of 37 Old 02-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
I've come upon this decision before myself, but the debate ended when I decided to go long arm for obvious reasons (RK it is).
Thats an excellent point as I have tossed around long arm or not myself and do tend to go back and forth on it. Honestly if MC offered a long arm kit that was designed well, that would probably seal the deal for me.

I do feel in lifts above 3.5 long arms make more sense and make less sense the farther away from that you get. By that I mean the positives of the long arm start declining and when you look at cost vs benefit I just can't see it.
post #20 of 37 Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you Everyone. Unfortunately I can't do the long arm kit cause of factory warranty. I have been doing homework on mid-arm kits and not a big fan of the short-arm kits. That's what lead me to the mid-arm kit. Like I saying before. I all probably go with Metal Cloak or Rock Krawler. Thanks for the help. Keep me posted on any info that anybody might have. Thanks again for your help.
post #21 of 37 Old 02-03-2014, 09:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Funny how you like the mid arm kits but dont like the short arm kits. They are the same thing. "Mid arm" is just a marketing term made up by rock krawler.

Some build info here:

post #22 of 37 Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you "The Dirt Man". I didn't think or know that it was marketing term. Mid-arm kit pushes the rear axle back 1" in. Do short-arm kits push the rear axle back? I'm not doing any extreme rock crawling,but still want to be able to go out have fun and be able to stay with the rest of the group. Thanks for your help.
post #23 of 37 Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 AM
JKO Addict!

If they have a threaded adjustable end, then yes they do. Any kit that uses either a johnny joint or the metal cloak threaded end joints has enough adjustment to move the axle back 1". Truth be told the rock krawler joint is about 3/4" shorter then a Johnny Joint and almost 1" shorter then the Metal Cloak joint and the rock krawler joint has a max 1" shank vs 1.25" for Johnny Joints and Metal Claok.

Some build info here:

Last edited by thedirtman; 02-03-2014 at 09:38 AM.
post #24 of 37 Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The johnny joint is made by Currie correct? Metal Cloak was the way I leaning cause of being able to adjust it. Thanks for the info Dirt Man and every bodies input. Please post if anybody thinks of anything. Thank you.
post #25 of 37 Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Yes Currie makes the Johnny Joint and several lift companies use their joint. Clayton,Synergy, Rockmen, as well as Currie all use the Johnny Joint.

As far as I know Metal Cloak is the only company that sells a kit that uses their joint and Rock Krawler is the only company that uses their joint.

If you click the link I gave you earlier in the thread there is a comparision of the different joints in how they are made and dimensions.

Some build info here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode