Q9000 winch failed! pics - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Goodysgotacuda

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Q9000 winch failed! pics

Check this out! This thing is only a few months old and I went to use it this morning and it capped out. It won't move at all. I popped off the end cap and the guts are nothing but rust and corrosion. I placed a call to qtec and I'm waiting to hear back. Guess you get what you pay for.

Think it's salvageable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Was there any kind of a gasket on the end cap to keep moisture out? That sucks...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

-Living the dream - Didn't say it was mine-
post #3 of 22 Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Forget trying to salvage that thing. See if qtec will take a return and apply what you paid to a Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500. It would be the best 50 bucks you ever spent if you're looking for a budget winch. Or, apply it to higher end winch it if you can afford it.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Nah there was no gasket. Haha. The gasket that was intended for my winch currently laying on the floor of some chineese factory. I'm still waiting to hear back from q-tec. If they are willing to replace it then I'll give them another shot. This is the first issue I've had with one of their products.

I was just posting to see if these things are rebuildable If q-tec won't replace. Guess it's not worth it

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #5 of 22 Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 PM
Granite Guru

Man that sucks.. Has it ever been submerged? Do you normally run it with a cover on it? None of these things really mater as it should have been sealed, I am merely asking for personal reasons.

But on the side of cheaper things is not always bad and Q-tech is a great company. I know my cheap o Rugged Ridge winch has been great biggest complaint is they used Stainless Steel screws in Aluminum which is a major corrosion issue but I have noticed almost every manufacturer of winches does this.

Last edited by HAFICON; 01-31-2014 at 08:10 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-01-2014, 06:40 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

That puppy is shot. Qtech "should" do the right thing and just flat out replace it. Keep us updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-02-2014, 04:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

WTF do you expect when you don't buy a WARN? But hey, you saved some money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #8 of 22 Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post

Lol. Like nobody has had a Warn fail. Shit happens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
BlackOps82 likes this.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-02-2014, 04:59 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Lol. Like nobody has had a Warn fail. Shit happens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No shit, I had my Galaxy Note 3 start acting up (proximity sensor fouled up) from dust entering the earpiece grille. By the Warn logic, that shit shouldn't have happened because the Galaxy is the most expensive and badass phone out right now. Yet, a phone a fraction of the cost won't have that problem. Shit happens and cost doesn't equal fool proof quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-03-2014, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Half-baked logic blinded by brand loyalty. When you want the overall best winch line available in the US, you have three choices, not one.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #11 of 22 Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Granite Guru

Warn my ass, here's my warn. Sitting in 3 pieces. I think there is good and bad in all brands. But I WONT buy another top name brand again. Their factory warranty is just as good an an ENGO or any other generic brand.

Last edited by kellyII; 02-20-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Half-baked logic blinded by brand loyalty. When you want the overall best winch line available in the US, you have three choices, not one.
Agree and Warns do fail. But a $249 winch is a $249 winch. You take changes with anything you buy. You mitigate risk of failure by choosing a brand know for quality and limited failures.

Some people could break an anvil with a rubber hammer.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #13 of 22 Old 02-09-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well Just an update.....Quadratec replace my winch with a brand new one still in the box so I'm a happy camper . I'll just have to make sure this new one has a gasket. Q-tec saw a picture of my rusty winch and they told me right away to bring it in for replacement and didn't hassle me about not having a receipt.

Me like happy endings.

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #14 of 22 Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

And back at the ranch............. Oh yeah, for further protection try Liquid Electrical Tape...works great, no shit.
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 02-09-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hahaha that's funny shit!^^^^^^^^^^

I've been a user of the liquid electric tape for several years now and I like it. Just have to do 2 or 3 coats to get it thick

post #16 of 22 Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
If he bought a Warn 9.5Ti, he could expect to spool out 100' of wire rope to get out of some ice he broke through only to find he now had a 100' of wire rope hanging off of his still-stuck Jeep with his dead 6 month old Warn that he only used 3 times.. oh wait, that was me a few years ago.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDERED67 View Post
Well Just an update.....Quadratec replace my winch with a brand new one still in the box so I'm a happy camper . I'll just have to make sure this new one has a gasket. Q-tec saw a picture of my rusty winch and they told me right away to bring it in for replacement and didn't hassle me about not having a receipt.

Me like happy endings.
Me like happy endings too, just not when I get a new winch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
JKO Addict!

There's nothing like a happy ending with a new wench.

-Milton Friedman
post #19 of 22 Old 02-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Wheeler

I like happy endings from a dirty wench! LOL
post #20 of 22 Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM
trw
Granite Guru

I learned this same lesson the hard way years ago with a Harbor Freight winch that was $300. 8 months later I had a motor with shredded magnets, corroded brushes and a dead winch.

So I picked up a Superwinch EPI 9.0 ($700 new) that is now over 6 years old and still going.

Its not that is has to be a Warn, but it needs to be well made. From my research and experience, Warn and Superwinch (minus the budget LP line) are your best bets at a reliable winch.

2011 JK, made the year before we all die, warranty be damned.

Last edited by trw; 02-19-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #21 of 22 Old 09-26-2015, 04:28 PM

Same issues with mine. It was only 2 years old and used 2 times. The inside of the motor was all rust. No gasket. One of the brushes fell off and the whole thing was seized. I called Quadratec and received a new motor free of charge 4 days later. No gaskets on the housing. I used RTV sealant on the end plate and where the motor meets the winch body. I also contacted Quadratec for an explanation...I don't want to replace the motor every 2 years ! I have still to hear from them.
post #22 of 22 Old 09-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Wheeler

Ramsey is another good option.

I don't know if they're still popular, but I've got a Ramsey that's been on my CJ for 14-15 years. The thing looks like crap and still works like new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode