Let's talk fridges - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Let's talk fridges

I have a wildboar fastback for the winter... Offroad hero's cargo top for the summer.

Due to my desire for "form" over function, I have killed my cargo space in the rear of the jeep.

I did, build a trailer for offroading, so, I'm not as bad off as I could be.

With that info out of the way, I want to mount a fridge in the back of the jeep that will fit under the cargo top in the summer.

What is the lowest profile rear fridge available?
ARB 37 quart?
Per amazon, it is 16.85" tall. I am afraid that is going to be very tight, and definitely too tall if I mount the fridge on a slide.

Does anyone know of a shorter fridge?

Thank you.

Current setup with Offroad Heros Top:

Last edited by biff; 01-27-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM
JKO Addict!

I obsessed on that myself for a while. I wanted to put the fridge on a slider and both of those things on a shelf. Once I figured out that it would not fit, I bailed on the idea entirely and just went with the 50qt. Love that thing. Not at all sorry.

I skipped the slider and just have it tie strapped to the drivers side of the cargo area using the stock tie down loops behind the driver's side passenger seat and the one closest to the drivers side tail light.

The tie down kit could have skipped it and I could have just used some cheapo home depot tie straps instead.

The travel bag will make sense. I bought mine after the fridge started taking a little beating.

I found myself also stuffing it into back of the mini van when we load up the family. The wife and I then carry it up to the hotel room and plug it in.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Granite Guru

Here's a pic of my 50qt in the back of the jeep. I have it mounted to a 3/4"plywood platform bolted to the floor of the jeep. Do you need all the seating? I've seen guys remove the 40% part of the seat and build a platform to mount the fridge there.

Go Play Outside.

Last edited by benny; 03-04-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Another vote for the 50 qrt

Check THIS out if you are looking for a slider option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//

//
//

post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the responses.
Anyone have the smaller 37 qt?
The 50 sits higher than the tub...
With the cargo top on the jeep, the 50 won't fit (as it creates a horizontal plane, or lid, over the "truck" area).

I need a fridge that is vertically no taller than the cargo area (sans top).

Another way to think about it... Is there a fridge that will fit under a cargo/deck lid?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Thanks for the responses.
Anyone have the smaller 37 qt?
The 50 sits higher than the tub...
With the cargo top on the jeep, the 50 won't fit (as it creates a horizontal plane, or lid, over the "truck" area).

I need a fridge that is vertically no taller than the cargo area (sans top).

Another way to think about it... Is there a fridge that will fit under a cargo/deck lid?
I really wanted the 37 at first too. With the hard deck lid that I was looking at, I think we (me, the deck manufacturer and our friends at Northridge) figured that it would not fit either above or below the deck lid so I abondended the idea and just went for the 50 because of the capacity. Not sorry.

It is more hidden now with the 37" MTR on the back now anyway. With the 35 MTR, you could see the digital readout from behind the jeep.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2014, 05:22 AM
Rock God

The 37 won't fit....no one else's fridge has a short enough height to work with what you are trying to do.

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I did some digging over at expedition portal.. And ended up finding this little guy made by Indel B:
http://truckfridge.com/tf31.html

14.5" tall...
I need to do some measuring, but this looks like a possibility.
Has a Danfoss compressor (which I believe is what the majority of the "big guys are using).

Not the biggest fridge on the market... But might be able to work for my needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode