Getting stuck sucks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
bb
Wheeler

Getting stuck sucks

Ok long story short, snow over ice covered driveway on my hunting propery. I slid off the side into the ditch. After two hours of hand winching I got it out. I think I need an eletric winch for such situations, the wife have me the ok to get one. I don't do much off roading. Mostly trail rides and two tracks for hunts. I drove the same stuff for seven years with my old XJ ( 6.5 lift and 33s). I have a 3 inch BDS lift at home not installed and I amd going with 35s. What kinda winch would be a good one for the money.
Thanks
BB

See, you think I give a shit. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a shit? That's why I look interested
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bb; 04-04-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 02:02 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Better tires might have been the difference in that particular situation since those street tires cannot clean themselves the way an aggressive A/T or M/T tire could in the same sludge. I'd get the 35's and the lift on first and then debate the winch. Goodyear Duratrac tires are a really aggressive A/T. Mickey Thompson has some great aggressive A/T tires too. In the M/T dept., the Nitto and Goodyear tires are the top choices. The BFG KM2 is a close third despite the sidewall debate. Price may drive that decision a little bit. Keep in mind that Falken has a M/T on the way too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Granite Guru

I just picked up an Engo epf10s. Used it twice so far and very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
bb
Wheeler

Good point on tires and lift. I thought that too, but it's too cold to do anything fight now. I'm just staying out of the woods

See, you think I give a shit. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a shit? That's why I look interested
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
bb
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by X50ARM View Post
I just picked up an Engo epf10s. Used it twice so far and very happy.
I will have to look at those, but I truly don't know squat about winches. I just know I'm too old and fat to be pullin on a hand winch

post #6 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Rock God

id buy a winch over tires any day of the week... $430 for a recon 10.5k with EVERYTHING you need from Truck and Winch.com. Had mine for 3 years before buying a second and rebuilding the first

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Granite Guru

My cheapo 10000lb Superwinch has worked well and only cost me about $400. Only had to use it about 4 or 5 times though and it's kind of slow but not as slow as a hand winch.

Sean
post #8 of 20 Old 01-27-2014, 05:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Spend slightly more on a good winch and you won't be rebuilding it after 3 years. I paid $586 less $100 rebate for my Warn M8000. Not the fastest but it is a proven piece of equipment that Warn has had in their lineup for many, many years.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #9 of 20 Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgo70 View Post
My cheapo 10000lb Superwinch has worked well and only cost me about $400. Only had to use it about 4 or 5 times though and it's kind of slow but not as slow as a hand winch.

Sean
I've made several really long pulls with my Superwinch LP10000 and it has been outstanding.

A couple weeks back, made 2 back to back pulls of at least 40ft getting a couple guys out mud and the thing never even got warm.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #10 of 20 Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 AM
Granite Guru

Winch can be a life saver.. Literally

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #11 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Wheeler

I have an engo 12000 on a hitch mount, that way I can use it as a front or rear winch or when not needed it stays in the garage. I don't like hauling an extra 85-100 lbs in the front for no reason at all.

Yesterday we got our first snow so on the winch goes.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Rock God

Smittybilt X2O, 8, 10, or 12K.
IP68 waterproof (higher standard than Rigid LED lights).

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM
JKO Addict!

I just picked up a Superwinch Tiger Shark 11.5k winch for $425 (usually they are $500), but you can get the 9.5k model for $349. You would never know this is a budget winch. It's a nice piece and a rebuild is not even something I'll need to think about. Also has thermal and electrical overload protection.

On the other Jeep I've got a Superwinch Talon 12.5isr. That is one beast of a winch in every sense. But, it was also over a thousand bucks.

As you can probably tell I'm a Superwinch guy for a whole bunch of good reasons. There are three brands you can't go wrong with IMO even in their budget lines - Warn, Superwinch, and Ramsey. A winch is a vital investment precisely for the reasons that you just mentioned.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #14 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
bb
Wheeler

Well thanks for all the Responses. I'm currently looking at winches right now and definitely decided that I'm going to use my receiver hitch mount so I can run the winch from the front of the vehicle or the rear of vehicle and not have to worry about the extra rate when it's not in use. I just have to find a front receiver mount for my for my jeep. One other question where's a good place to buy a winch? Been looking at quadratec with their prices always seem way too high
Thanks
BB

post #15 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

That's hardly stuck.

That is stuck.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #16 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I'd second the tire selection post above, but here's a link to a good winch article.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...inch-shootout/
post #17 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
bb
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
That's hardly stuck.

That is stuck.
Stuck! That looks parked

post #18 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
bb
Wheeler

Thanks for the article !

post #19 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Think if I were to buy a winch now it may be an Engo. Good magazine tests and about 3 bills. Forget which vendor on here has good deals on them.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #20 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 AM
Granite Guru

I got mine at Princess Auto, it's the same as the US Harbor Freight. They're cheap and they'll take anything back without question or receipt.

They're starting to carry Warn, Superwinch, and some other brand I didn't recognize and they go on sale every month or two.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode