Transmission Failure in 2012, 2013 Rubicons - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Transmission Failure in 2012, 2013 Rubicons

So, after I've been in 4L for awhile and want to shift back into 4H, or if in either 4L or 4H and I try putting it into reverse......nothing... the engine just spins and doesn't go into gear or it feels like its in gear and it feels like a clutch that just doesn't quite have enough bite to get the drive going. Mind you this is on an automatic. My girlfriends jeep does it, an owner of a jeep company up in Sedona's jeep does it. I've even video taped it on my phone to show Jeep. They tell me, oh no there is no problem and we haven't heard about this from anyone else....really? Jeep's stand is, well, yeah we can see it on the video, but unless we can reproduce it in the shop....it doesn't exist.

Anyway it sucks when it happens when you are on a steep incline and need to shift gears cuzz if your trany don't work, you are kinda up shit creek. Fortunately its only happened about 8 times over the last year.

Anyway, my friend came up with a hypothesis. Jeep re-flashed their computer codes a few years back because they were having false transmission overheat codes.

The assumption is this. Somewhere in the bowels of the computer there is a grey zone that, yeah I know this sounds really lame cuzz computers are all or nothing..... that it still thinks its overheating, but somehow doesn't quite meet all the requirements to throw a code but puts the tranny in a failsafe mode anyway, i.e. disengages it.

My friend figured out that if that happens just turn off the jeep and restart it and voila!! you are back in gear. The assumption is that when you restart the jeep it resets the computer and it thinks all is well again.......

No....I really, really haven't been smoking crack.

Any input from you jeep tech guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Granite Guru

Sounds kind of odd, I know with GM and Allison transmissions they'll still let you drivde in limp mode. You'll have reverse and 2nd gear only, but you can drive.

And you're absolutely sure its not the t-case popping out of gear and into neutral?

If shutting it off and restarting fixes it then its almost definitely a computer glitch of some sort. I'll talk to my buddy about it he works at a Jeep dealership. I'm just a lowly heavy diesel mechanic.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #3 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Granite Guru

There already are a few threads on this issue.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...nsmission+2012

2013 JKUR

Last edited by steve578; 01-24-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Granite Guru

My buddy hasn't encountered it yet or heard anything about it through his dealership. This was his response/thoughts,
Quote:
Sounds like its going into limp mode, weird that it only happens after shifting through 4WD ranges. Possible solenoid pack or maybe a wiring issue with the t-case cable rubbing/moving the harness as its shifted?
Reading a bit through that other thread it sounds like some people are having the ability to drive forward, although the transmission slips a lot as if its in a higher gear. I'm almost wondering if there is a shift pattern glitch within the TCM programming. If there are different shift patterns for H and L range maybe shifting back and forth between them is causing the computer to lapse a bit, most likely due to an input signal error. I'm not sure how the Chrysler programming is on the transmissions, I know the WTEC/Allison stuff will run different shift maps of you lock in the t-case or go into offroad mode.

My question though, why shift back and forth from H to L range? Once I hit a trail I pretty much just stay in L range. I'm not racing anybody and in low range your transmission isn't generating as much heat to climb over rocks or go up steep inclines.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads

Last edited by Dutch; 01-24-2014 at 08:11 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

"why shift back and forth from H to L range? Once I hit a trail I pretty much just stay in L range."

Well, since it started I've been trying to see if any particular thing will trigger it.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Wheeler

Mine is still having this issue. The dealer and Chrysler don't care and say it isn't happening and I'm the only person who has ever had the issue. I showed then a cellphone video and they said it looks to be operating fine. Shamefull.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've had this happen to me a few times. Same with other people, the dealer doesn't believe me and doesn't seem to care. Guess I'll just live with it until something bad really happens to the transmission.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 AM
Rock God

2012 here, I have the same issue!

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #9 of 14 Old 01-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Wheeler

So far my experience has been how quickly I shift from 4-Lo to 4-Hi. I usually get the slipping trans when I shift quickly and try to keep moving. I fix it by turning off the engine and restarting it.

I noticed that when I come to a complete stop, put the transmission in neutral, shift to 4-Hi, wait a second and then shift the transmission to drive things work as expected.

With the Rubicon low T-case gears leaving it in 4-Lo is not a solution as the computer that knows best tends to disengage power when the wheel speed or RPM get too high. It seems that if you want all the electronic toys, you end up getting the electronic baby-sitter as well.

Sometimes I miss the basic drivetrain where the computer that managed the system to prevent damage was between your ears. And then I had to fix stuff when I got home.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Granite Guru

Had the same thing happen this weekend. After climbing a fairly steep waterfall in 4Lo and locked front and rear, shifted back to 4Hi at the top and had nothing but revs. I ended up cycling between all tcase gears and restarting the Jeep before 4Hi would work again. The Jeep tech out here told me it kicks into limp mode if you try to shift back to 4Hi after putting a lot of strain on it in 4Lo.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 PM

2013 transmission click!!

I have a 2013 2 door that every time I come up to a red light it shift into like a neutral state I guess to roll better but it does one really loud click win it goes in. When the light turns green and i start to accelerate, it lets out a crazy loud click. It only has 7k on it. The stealerships say its just a solenoid and get used to it.... No, anyone have any info and or advice???
post #12 of 14 Old 03-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Wheeler

I have a 2013 Rubicon, 2 dr. auto, and this has happened to me several times last summer while I was in the San Juan's in SW Colorado. Very scary on those mountain passes. Dealership reported they have never heard of this problem. I will be going back to CO this summer and I am concerned about this problem.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-16-2014, 06:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Forget the stealers... Something like this can cause injury or death, Contact NHTSA and send them all documentation. Videos, Logs etc.... Pain in the ass but do what you gotta do.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Wheeler

Click Here to Send Email to NHTSA

NHTSA Headquarters
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
West Building
Washington, DC 20590

Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153 / Media inquiries: 202-366-9550

USDOT General Information Main Switchboard (including personnel locator): 202-366-4000 / Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm Eastern, excluding Federal Holidays.

Last edited by MaltedHop; 03-17-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode