Thinking of buying a 2010 JK Rubi, can you help me out? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of buying a 2010 JK Rubi, can you help me out?

Hello everyone, this is my first posting, and a soon to be a first time jeep owner. I am looking at trading my truck in and buying a JK Rubicon (used). I found a 2010 2 dr that I like a lot, appears to be mostly all stock, has a winch on it already. It is a 6 speed manual. Is there anything I should look out for in particular? Any commonly known issues with them? My plan is to do between a 2.5-3.5" lift and 35s on it. I want to keep it as a DD but still good for wheeling/trails. Just trying to get some real life opinions on the good, bad, and otherwise.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM

2010 JK

Well, and I may just be blowing smoke up your ass.....but...If you possibly can afford it go for a 2012 or newer. They have the new pentastar engine which gives you I believe 87 more horse power. I have a 2013. I was able to put a 4.5 AEV lift and KM2 35's without having to change anything else on the rig. 6 mo later I moved up to 37's. Still no further mods. The reason for this long winded explanation is this......and any of you real mech-heads out there really know for sure, correct me.....with the pre 12's if you start putting on the bigger tires you end up changing your gearing to make them work or your engine performance is going to suck.

Anyone out there disagree?

post #3 of 11 Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

So the new engine is really that much more? Found a couple 2012s that are at the top end of my price range...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

12 2 Door Rubi
2.5" RC Coil lift
Other than that stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 PM

If your budget allows, I would absolutley focus on getting a 2012 or newer. The more efficient and stronger engine will serve you well. Also if you are planning on running 35s I would make sure that the Ribicon you choose has 4.10 gears...some stock Rubis have 3.73 although rare. Also the interiors were upgraged in 2011 I beleive...I found myself in your similar position, test drove both a 2010 and 2012 JK, no question about going with the 2012, its well worth it in the long run if you stretch your budget...
post #5 of 11 Old 01-25-2014, 05:07 PM

Another point to consider for a 2012 if you want to run 35s...
One main, often-overlooked difference, is that, based on the auto-tranny gearing alone, 1st gear in the 2012 auto is geared 19% lower than 1st gear in the pre-12 autos; and 5th gear in the 2012 auto is 20% lower than 4th (the top) gear in the pre-12 autos.

So, my 2012 Jeep auto with 3.73s is geared almost as low as a 2011 auto with 4.56s (the actual equivalent would be 4.49s, which they obviously don't make).

Any helpful pulling power of the 3.6L (even if it's only 10% or so at low revs) adds to that 20% gearing difference. That's why the '12s autos can more-easily spin heavier tires:- engine and much (20%) lower gearing at the tranny.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Looks like I'm definitely convinced on the 2012+. So I guess this is sort of a personal preference but what do you guys prefer? Auto or manual? Will definitely make sure I get the 4:10s. I'm going to be going from a lifted cummins to a jeep so its gonna be a big adjustment but I've always wanted and envied jeep owners

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

12 2 Door Rubi
2.5" RC Coil lift
Other than that stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 10:29 AM

agree with the above. stay newer with 12 or higher. i had a 2010 for 6months and once i drove a new one it was over. Traded it in and ordered my 14'. For crawling or overall wheeling i love my automatic. makes life much easier in my opinion and with the tap shift it was a no brainer i think. Good luck with whatever you get and like the rest of us once you have one your hooked and life begins!
post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Granite Guru

I went from an '07 to the '13. way nicer driving jeep. better interior and engine. for the auto vs manual, test drive both. I test drove both and even though I liked driving the manual, I decided on the auto for everyday easy driving.
I got the 4.10's so I wouldn't have to change out gears later. good luck!

Mike M

2013 2dr rubi
MC 2.5", Fox RR TF tuned shocks, TF carrier, Viair, TL's and so on...... still on stock tires
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Wheeler

I test-drove both and wound up buying the 6-speed... just more fun to me, although heavy traffic tests my patience a bit more now, lol. I don't think you'll see a power difference in the manual vs auto if you get the 4.10 gears, though.

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Rock God

4.10s + 35s ...

Do you plan on wheeling your rig?

I ran 5.13s and 35s with my 3.8L with manual transmission. I ran the rig with 3.73s and stalled out all of the time on trails, especially in reverse. I would imagine 4.10s would be about the same experience. Gearing is largely preference. However, with 35s, I imagine you will be looking to be somewhere in the 4.56-5.13 range depending on how you want your rig geared.

post #11 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 PM
Rock God

I have a buddy with an 07 2dr rubi that's manual, stock 4.10s, 4.5" lift and 35s and he loves it that way. He crawls up everything Just fine, I never see him stall when we all go out. He isn't moving to different gearing unless he goes to a taller tire.

The 3.8 paired with the manu asl should be Ok with 4.10s and 35s. Sure when you go to 37s you will want to re gear, but you will want to do that with the 3.6 as well

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode